Vocal To Double Cookin

• Replies 51
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

im told its the b side of a del satins press ?? any help :lol:

If I`m not mistaken..it was booted on VILLA..

The flip was..."YOU`RE THE FIRE" by the DEL-SATINS-same backing track as the Checkerboard Squares..

And also The MAGICIANS (Also VILLA recording artistes) -"Just A Little Faith And Understanding"- again,same backing track as the CBS...

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

A far as I was aware the whole Del Satins thing was a Soussan jobbie wasn't it? The Magicians is the only "real" vocal innit?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Yep-that`s what I said..booted on a look-a-likey VILLA label. Strangely though, (and don`t hold it against me..) but IMO the Del Satins fake sounds more exciting!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

I dont believe the Magicians is original! After all these years and with the contacts many djs collectors have it surfaces a year or so ago- Nah dont believe it for aminute.

Whats next- Skyliners doing avocal to Condition red - Just because they both recorded for jubilee!

Wake up and smell the roses!

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Released on 100 Club - anniversary single ..

how much is this going for now? i remember it was going for up to £150 in the latter half of 2004 - is it still fetching a good price? (i've got one for sale with a 25th anniversay ticket btw if anyone's interested)

cheers :yes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I dont believe the Magicians is original! After all these years and with the contacts many djs collectors have it surfaces a year or so ago- Nah dont believe it for aminute.

Whats next- Skyliners doing avocal to Condition red - Just because they both recorded for jubilee!

It was known about several years before, I believe Dave Flynn mentioned it on the sleeve notes of one of his compilations, he may have heard it on a tape when working at Charley records, not sure what the story is.

I think there is also a male group vocal on the same tapes. I'm sure that Dave played that to me in the past and I thought that it was quite good. May be mistaken.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Having been privy to the relevant paperwork, I can assure you (and any other doubters) that the Magicians "Love And Understanding" could not be any more original if it had actually been released on the other side of "Double Cookin'" itself.

...Please feel free to enlighten us as to any thought process that has you arriving at your conclusion? By your calculations, it would seem that the vocal of anything that was not originally released as a vocal in the 1960s is a fake. Does this also mean that my 1998 discovery of the vocal of "Don't Start None" by the Mayfield Singers was also a sham, because neither it nor the instrumental came out at the time of recording?

Maybe it's not roses you need to be smelling - a handkerchief full of ammonia might be more useful...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

And lets not forget the original female vocal 'Is It Love Baby' by the Waves which I'm playing now. As the doubting Thomases don't seem to believe me, we'll stick a scan of the original tape box in the booklet of the CD when it comes out. The label song's owner and writer Herbert Campbell told us the full story and it's on CDKEND 248, opening track The Magicians, which to my ears is by far the best.

Social source share

you need to talk to Mr Croasdale who researched all these items and introduced the Magicians to us all

wake up you cant see the wood for the trees

:shades::shades:

Social source share

Having been privy to the relevant paperwork, I can assure you (and any other doubters) that the Magicians "Love And Understanding" could not be any more original if it had actually been released on the other side of "Double Cookin'" itself.

...Please feel free to enlighten us as to any thought process that has you arriving at your conclusion? By your calculations, it would seem that the vocal of anything that was not originally released as a vocal in the 1960s is a fake. Does this also mean that my 1998 discovery of the vocal of "Don't Start None" by the Mayfield Singers was also a sham, because neither it nor the instrumental came out at the time of recording?

Maybe it's not roses you need to be smelling - a handkerchief full of ammonia might be more useful...

No offence Tony but the instrumental was 100 times better than the vocal. One of the last records I heard at a nighter that actually gave me the shivers when I heard it. When I heard the vocal I thought it actually deflected from the brilliance of the instrumental. I am probably alone in this view. But well done for finding it like.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hello,

We control the publishing rights to "(Just A Little) Faith And Understanding" (and to "Double Cooking" of course) and its authenticity is guaranteed by our clients Herb and Doris Campbell.

Why are some people so suspicious when previously unissued tracks are discovered? There are many more to come.

Paul Mooney

Millbrand Music

Social source share

I wouldn't be be surprised if someone discovers a vocal version of "Festival Time" one day.

Now that would be something!

:shades:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No offence Tony but the instrumental was 100 times better than the vocal. One of the last records I heard at a nighter that actually gave me the shivers when I heard it. When I heard the vocal I thought it actually deflected from the brilliance of the instrumental. I am probably alone in this view. But well done for finding it like.

Thanks Guv. My enormous ego allows me to say, with no false modesty, that I was also present when the instrumental was discovered, some six months earlier, on an unmarked tape reel...

Think you might be on your own on liking the instro best, though, mate.

TONE :shades:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Thanks Guv. My enormous ego allows me to say, with no false modesty, that I was also present when the instrumental was discovered, some six months earlier, on an unmarked tape reel...

Think you might be on your own on liking the instro best, though, mate.

TONE :shades:

Probably because I heard the inst first. Same as Exus Trek v If Its All The Same To You Babe. Instrumental is miles better.

Social source share

A far as I was aware the whole Del Satins thing was a Soussan jobbie wasn't it? The Magicians is the only "real" vocal innit?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

wasn;t there three vocals that "turned up"all at same time?

that ouch "vocal" to afternoon of rhino was one of bunch wasnt it, can't think of other one but sure was one and had to be something obvious

Social source share

that ouch "vocal" to afternoon of rhino was one of bunch wasnt it, can't think of other one but sure was one and had to be something obvious

just dragged up from pits of brain it was that bok to bach vocal thing

Social source share

Mike

I have a somewhat 'interesting' vocal to the Dogs - Soul Step, but can't remember where it came from, is that what you are thing of?

Social source share

Hello,

We control the publishing rights to "(Just A Little) Faith And Understanding" (and to "Double Cooking" of course) and its authenticity is guaranteed by our clients Herb and Doris Campbell.

Paul Mooney

Millbrand Music

Herb and Doris!!!

How did they end up with the rights? Or perhaps the right question should be who exactly are they?

And any chance of a photo to go with my signed copy of Somebody Somewhere Needs You?

Cheers

Godz

Social source share

just dragged up from pits of brain it was that bok to bach vocal thing

I thought Suzy Parker - Dance of Love (Bok to Bach) was earlier. You sure the missing one wasn't Dena "wink wink" Barnes - These Heartaches, which was an alternative vocal to Duke Browner inst, Mike?

Godz

Social source share

Herb and Doris!!!

How did they end up with the rights? Or perhaps the right question should be who exactly are they?

And any chance of a photo to go with my signed copy of Somebody Somewhere Needs You?

Cheers

Godz

Just realised - it's Herb Sadler - not Campbell. I'm talking cack.

Still, two Herb and Doris's with Detroit connections, eh?

Who'd of thought it...

Godz

Social source share

how much is this going for now? i remember it was going for up to £150 in the latter half of 2004 - is it still fetching a good price? (i've got one for sale with a 25th anniversay ticket btw if anyone's interested)

cheers :shades:

The MAGICIANS -"Just A Little Faith And Understanding"-

Think Roger Stewart was selling for £30 at that time

Social source share

cheers :shades:

6T's 25th Anniversary single - THE MAGICIANS 2005-04-01 96 GBP

6Ts 25th Anniversary Single - The Magicians 2005-06-21 102 GBP

NORTHERN SOUL THE MAGICIANS 2004-11-07 49 GBP

Northern Soul - MAGICIANS 100 CLUB 25TH ANNIVERSARY 45 2005-11-27 77 GBP

northern soul 45 Magicians "Faith and Understanding" 2005-05-03 155 GBP

Northern Soul 45. MAGICIANS 6T-20.KENT 25TH ANNIVERSARY 2005-05-21 51 GBP

NORTHERN SOUL THE MAGICIANS 100 CLUB 25TH ANNIVERSARY K 2005-05-30 78 GBP

Social source share

6T's 25th Anniversary single - THE MAGICIANS 2005-04-01 96 GBP

6Ts 25th Anniversary Single - The Magicians 2005-06-21 102 GBP

NORTHERN SOUL THE MAGICIANS 2004-11-07 49 GBP

Northern Soul - MAGICIANS 100 CLUB 25TH ANNIVERSARY 45 2005-11-27 77 GBP

northern soul 45 Magicians "Faith and Understanding" 2005-05-03 155 GBP

Northern Soul 45. MAGICIANS 6T-20.KENT 25TH ANNIVERSARY 2005-05-21 51 GBP

NORTHERN SOUL THE MAGICIANS 100 CLUB 25TH ANNIVERSARY K 2005-05-30 78 GBP

Yeah, yeah yeah!

But Roger always seems to have a few anniv singles in his box reasonably priced........

Social source share

I also Agree with Pete. The point I was making was The Del satins was around in the 70s and The magicians is late 90s /2000s- Why did it take so long to come about? 20 years to find it Given the exposure of the Del satins?

Its not the same at the Mayfield singers as that was not around in the 70s (please correct me if Im worong)

If there is authencity available to it e.g The original master tape with details/label etc then prove me wrong and pm me with the photos. This would prove me wrong but Im taking bets it wont be forthcoming. The challenge is there!

I really would like to wake up and smell the coffee but I think I will be smelling Bullsh**t

Social source share

I thought Suzy Parker - Dance of Love (Bok to Bach) was earlier. You sure the missing one wasn't Dena "wink wink" Barnes - These Heartaches, which was an alternative vocal to Duke Browner inst, Mike?

Godz

I first heard the Bok To Bach vocal in 75 but it wasn't widely played as it was only on acetate, it wasn't pressed til 77 with the inst on the back. These Heartaches wasn't played (at Wigan anyway) until Jan 77 (according to my tapes and memory). So maybe it was "Sherlie Matthews" My Sugar baby, a new vocal to My Little Girl?

Social source share

I also Agree with Pete. The point I was making was The Del satins was around in the 70s and The magicians is late 90s /2000s- Why did it take so long to come about? 20 years to find it Given the exposure of the Del satins?

Its not the same at the Mayfield singers as that was not around in the 70s (please correct me if Im worong)

If there is authencity available to it e.g The original master tape with details/label etc then prove me wrong and pm me with the photos. This would prove me wrong but Im taking bets it wont be forthcoming. The challenge is there!

I really would like to wake up and smell the coffee but I think I will be smelling Bullsh**t

Perhaps you should wipe your top lip. As I said in the previous post it'll be in the booklet of the CD with the Waves on when it comes out.

Social source share

I first heard the Bok To Bach vocal in 75 but it wasn't widely played as it was only on acetate, it wasn't pressed til 77 with the inst on the back. These Heartaches wasn't played (at Wigan anyway) until Jan 77 (according to my tapes and memory). So maybe it was "Sherlie Matthews" My Sugar baby, a new vocal to My Little Girl?

Could be. I had a Suzy Parker acetate for about two weeks in either 75 or 76. If I remember rightly the acetate was pretty quiet and not very well recorded. Memory is shaky but could Alan Rhodes have payed it a couple of times?

So maybe it was Shirlie "wink wink" Matthews then :shades:

Godz

Social source share

Hello,

Why are some people so suspicious when previously unissued tracks are discovered? There are many more to come.

People are probably suspicious because of Los Cuatros Vandales :shades:

For what it's worth tho, the authenticity of "Faith..." is fairly obvious - if you listen to it next to The Magicians' "Is It All Gone", a known Villa 45, it's the same vocalist.

Social source share

Godz

Wasn't "Crazy" by Sheri Gibbs on TNT also a 70s concoction?

Social source share

Yes, had a very short shelf life though, only played for about a month if that before those TNT copies appeared. That also eventually turned up on the Fascinations cd as well, didn't it?

Social source share

People are probably suspicious because of Los Cuatros Vandales :shades:

For what it's worth tho, the authenticity of "Faith..." is fairly obvious - if you listen to it next to The Magicians' "Is It All Gone", a known Villa 45, it's the same vocalist.

As a point of trivia, the instrumental of "Is It AllGone" was booted on the flip of the "Strings A Go Go" press on Soul Galore, as "Love Symphony" by the Bob Wilson Sounds

Social source share

Guest claude rains

I have a jack montgomery " never in a million years", b-side to " don't turn your back on me" on barracuda. Am after the vocal, think its by the honeybees, think the label is artic. If anyone knows the full artist title and label, also has a rough price or one for sale, would be interseted.

Ta.

Social source share

I have a jack montgomery " never in a million years", b-side to " don't turn your back on me" on barracuda. Am after the vocal, think its by the honeybees, think the label is artic. If anyone knows the full artist title and label, also has a rough price or one for sale, would be interseted.

Ta.

It's on Garrison and maybe Wand as well...title actually is Never In A Million Years. I've been after this for more years than I can remember but I finally gave up and got a dub cut of it. Fabulous record, but so is the instrumental.

Social source share

Guest claude rains

It's on Garrison and maybe Wand as well...title actually is Never In A Million Years. I've been after this for more years than I can remember but I finally gave up and got a dub cut of it. Fabulous record, but so is the instrumental

Thaks pete

Well knew it was rare, so it is the honeybees "never in a million years" Garrison. Some one said it was b-side to "lets get back together", thought that was a mistake.

Think finding it on wand, would be like finding the ivorys on same label though it could be.

Social source share

claude rains Posted Today, 12:38 PM

It's on Garrison and maybe Wand as well...title actually is Never In A Million Years. I've been after this for more years than I can remember but I finally gave up and got a dub cut of it. Fabulous record, but so is the instrumental

Thaks pete

Well knew it was rare, so it is the honeybees "never in a million years" Garrison. Some one said it was b-side to "lets get back together", thought that was a mistake.

Think finding it on wand, would be like finding the ivorys on same label though it could be.

-------------------------------------

Yes, it's on Garrison 3005 (and Wand 1141 I believe - has anybody got one??) and is indeed the flip to Let's Get Back Together which is another brilliant track.

IMHO one of the best double siders ever, and co-produced by Don Mancha, Mike Terry and Jack Montgomery!!

I think I should be able to locate a spare copy if you (or anyone else) wants one, but it would be a fair (in both senses) wad of money. PM me if interested or for more details.

In the meantime, you could here it (and many other brill tunes!) on the North East Soul Radio show which Jason S (JBrew) recently put together with my humble assistance as his guest.

Cheers,

Peter

Social source share

Perhaps you should wipe your top lip. As I said in the previous post it'll be in the booklet of the CD with the Waves on when it comes out.

So just Pm me with the photos or email me on s.eckersley@nhs.net.

Come on Now Ady dont be shy.

Actually I should wipe both lips as I am tucking into a spicy bit of Chicken.

I dont understand this top lip thing so please advise!

New Tune - Just a little faith and english understanding- On top lip records

Ive never heard it before

Social source share

the sherry gibbs thing was an unknown artist on an acetate with "crazy" written on it, the acetate was found by somone who also found another one with dot records on it, when this one was played it was discontented by phil flowers, the sherry gibbs was put out slowly as a 45 on tnt issue to possibly fool all and sundry that it was an actual 45 (as in 4 V,S), i think the only problem with this plan was that i cant remember the record ever really taking off, so the tnt copies were soon ten bob each

Social source share

the sherry gibbs thing was an unknown artist on an acetate with "crazy" written on it, the acetate was found by somone who also found another one with dot records on it, when this one was played it was discontented by phil flowers, the sherry gibbs was put out slowly as a 45 on tnt issue to possibly fool all and sundry that it was an actual 45 (as in 4 V,S), i think the only problem with this plan was that i cant remember the record ever really taking off, so the tnt copies were soon ten bob each

But it is actually The Fascinations...

Social source share

please, tell me more, was it released etc

Yeah it came out on a cd in the 90's (I think it might have been called Out To get You) and it's got the story of Crazy in the liner notes. This is the cd that also features Don't Stop Now (inst). It's on Sequel anyway.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!