Chess Re Issue Lp Advice On Price Please

Hi , I have been trying to sell a nice albeit reissue lp of chess classics in really nice condition .Terry Callier /George Kirby/ Valentinos / Dells/Denise Lesalle/ Marlena Shaw .. 28 tracks in all was wanting £30 am I overpricing it?? . I've been selling a few bits only to assist my 45 collection been listing it for a while on various sites .. I really like the lp myself but have aquired a few of the tracks on original 45 .. Any suggestions would be appreciated . Regards Stu

Social source share

Hi , I have been trying to sell a nice albeit reissue lp of chess classics in really nice condition .Terry Callier /George Kirby/ Valentinos / Dells/Denise Lesalle/ Marlena Shaw .. 28 tracks in all was wanting £30 am I overpricing it?? . I've been selling a few bits only to assist my 45 collection been listing it for a while on various sites .. I really like the lp myself but have aquired a few of the tracks on original 45 .. Any suggestions would be appreciated . Regards Stu

I'd say yes, I'd have asked £15 for it myself...bloomin hard work trying to sell albums...and that one was only from 90's anyway

Social source share

Ok thanks £15 doesn't seem a lot for a decent album . But after not selling it for ages am inclined to agree . Probably be aswell to keep it on the shelf and try and sell the china instead!!!

No, it doesn't, but you have to consider how many it sold (a lot) and the fact it's relatively recent.  Anyway I think you're right, sell the china instead!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...... Buying & selling LP's on the soul scene has always been a hit & miss affair,  When I started to listen to music (all music) the LP was king, in the late 6ts the price of LPs & 45s was ridiculously high, in 1967 while undertaking a apprenticeship in engineering, my weekly take home pay was £3 15/6 I had to give my Mum 30 bob (£1.50) for board. the different price codes used for 12" LP's was almost as high as my weekly pay, and did not follow any cost of living rules that I can equate to?

For most people it was thanks to ISLAND RECORDS that we got to hear the music, this was because they introduced the Budget price LP with various artists on. this is why & how the BLUES BOOM & REGGAE got established in the UK, seems strange now when you can buy the recorded sound of every artist for a few pounds, off course back then the only way to get rare soul was on certain budget LP SOUL CITY MINIT LIBERTY ACTION UA & many more great LP's come out,

Today it is these LP's that the old school collect, remember  back then it was a rare find if you found a shop that sold US soul records & shops selling them you can count on 1 hand,  once the 7ts started the influx of US records meant that the LP declined very quickly and was almost UNCOOL, this situation carried on with just a handful of LP's that become essential RCA JUMPING AT THE GO_GO, I an Levine great PYE LP, & KENT's FLOOR PACKERS? were the essential ones to own, & for some turned the drop out soul fan back to the scene,

So to conclude as this subject is to big, my point is apart from 100 LP's or so, trying to price LP's today does not have any relationship to 7" vinyl collecting,

Yet there are some great LP's out there, :rofl: DAVE K   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As I recall it sold several thousand copies on release LP/CD...plus there were a handful of white label test pressings! Not a bad compilation, though I say it myself.

:)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Today it is these LP's that the old school collect, remember  back then it was a rare find if you found a shop that sold US soul records & shops selling them you can count on 1 hand,  once the 7ts started the influx of US records meant that the LP declined very quickly and was almost UNCOOL, this situation carried on with just a handful of LP's that become essential RCA JUMPING AT THE GO_GO, I an Levine great PYE LP, & KENT's FLOOR PACKERS? were the essential ones to own, & for some turned the drop out soul fan back to the scene,

So to conclude as this subject is to big, my point is apart from 100 LP's or so, trying to price LP's today does not have any relationship to 7" vinyl collecting,

Yet there are some great LP's out there, :rofl: DAVE K   

Yep, the amount of easily obtainable and decent NS LP compilations was minimal for many years (RCA's "Jumping At The GoGo", Inferno's "Out On The Floor Tonight", the three Grapevines, Joy's "Keep The Faith 1,2&3", President's "Northern Lights 1&2", all received heavy rotation on my bedroom hi-fi!

Later still Charly, Goldmine/Soul Supply and Kent really kicked things off...and a huge nod of respect has to go out to that period of albums, as they are responsible for creating worldwide interest in the NS genre.

The original 1960's UK LP releases of Soul material are lovely mind...oddly enough I stumble across the Stateside, Sue and Island titles over here in Japan...how they got here I've no idea, but you gotta love the old sleeve designs...saw a 70's UK Polydor compilation the other day with Brothers Guiding Light on it...would love to see a website devoted to the original Soul LPs!

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You always did write good sleeve notes Dave, my favorite, the Rare Soul Uncovered 3, I went out and got every 45 on there bar Roscoe of course which was either unissued, or on an LP, cant remember. :g:

Thanks Mal, they were always fun to compile and write...the Roscoe Shelton came off the master tapes...what a tune! :thumbsup:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

HI ALL.

FLYNNY I WILL TELL YOU HOW THEY ENDED UP OVER THERE, 15 - 20 YEARS AGO  AT MOST RECORD FAIRS, A MAN FROM JAPAN ATTENDED JUST TO BUY AS MANY SOUL & REGGAE RECORDS INITIALY THEY MOPPED UP THE BLUEBEAT LABEL THEN DOCTOR BIRD, DEALERS WOULD NOT PART WITH ANYTHING TILL THEY HAD OFFERD THE TO MISTER JAP?

DAVE K

Social source share

I have the RCA "Funky Bottom Congregation" which has Herb Ward Honest to Goodness on it, as well as many other goodies. Never seen another copy on lists although I'm sure they will be in collections somewhere.

Whilst not exactly common, it can be found relatively cheaply.

I believe it was part of RCAs budget series.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not so sure about that Benji.

A great deal of those albums are the best part of 30years old now, trying to complete the Kent series for example from scratch may not be as easy ( or as cheap) as you may believe my friend;)

ATB

Jim

There aren't that many that you couldn't get for £15 or under though Jim.

Social source share

Not so sure about that Benji.

A great deal of those albums are the best part of 30years old now, trying to complete the Kent series for example from scratch may not be as easy ( or as cheap) as you may believe my friend;)

ATB

Jim

I agree, getting the complete Kent vinyl set is very hard. Some LPs are very easy to find, others very tough.

But the question is: Are there any collectors out there trying to complete the whole set? I don't think so. And if there are, probably just a few

Or speaking of collectors in general. Are there any collectors of 80s/90s Soul/Northern Soul compilation LPs. Again, I don't think so.

My point is: IMO compilation LPs are completely out of fashion these days. I'm going to repeat myself here. Folks either want OVO or at least a 7" reissue/boot for haptic feeling.

Social source share

I agree, getting the complete Kent vinyl set is very hard. Some LPs are very easy to find, others very tough.

But the question is: Are there any collectors out there trying to complete the whole set? I don't think so. And if there are, probably just a few

Or speaking of collectors in general. Are there any collectors of 80s/90s Soul/Northern Soul compilation LPs. Again, I don't think so.

My point is: IMO compilation LPs are completely out of fashion these days. I'm going to repeat myself here. Folks either want OVO or at least a 7" reissue/boot for haptic feeling.

There were, until cd's came along, I had full runs of Soul Supply and Kent lp's a couple of times, they were absolutely essential when they came out, but cd's just blew them away really.

Social source share

With the exception of the promo one, I used to have the full set of Kent LPs, but in recent years I have sold some off in order to help finance the purchase of original 45s. Some of them went to Ian Clarks brother, he was collecting them for the artwork that Ian did for the album covers.

I kept the Northern/Mod/Deep ones and sold the funkier ones that came later in the series. 

A few went for over £20, but as previously stated, £15 does appear to be the top price for many of them.

'Stand in for love' must have been quite a big seller I would have thought, because John Peel heaped praise on it and regularly played tracks from it on Radio 1.

Yes, Northern Soul compilation LPs do seem to be completely out of fashion, even some of the 1970s ones don't seem to attract the prices they used to.

Social source share

There were, until cd's came along, I had full runs of Soul Supply and Kent lp's a couple of times, they were absolutely essential when they came out, but cd's just blew them away really.

CDs and later on MP3 sort of "killed" collecting compilation LPs (IMO). I know some guys who tried to get all Soul Supply and Kent LPs. Eventually they did. But that was 20 years ago.

Nowadays it's either OVO or pressings or MP3 files.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!