Did Motown Ever Release Any 78Rpm's? Yes They Did

Did Motown ever release any 78rpm's?

I must admit it's not a question I've ever asked myself - never even thought about it to be honest.

Stumbled upon this interesting snippet yesterday and whilst it's not in the jaw dropping league of the recent Darrell Banks find, for Motown completists it's something else to chase.

Derek

THE MARVELETTES-MOTOWN 78 RPM DISCOVERED

By Angelo Alexander

https://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=54&page=1

post-1224-0-53379300-1405089302_thumb.jp   post-1224-0-65363000-1405089313_thumb.jp

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for everybodies input.

Here's the transcript of the full article:

By Angelo Alexander

Once about 5 years ago when I was again gazing at one of The Beatles 78 rpm images, a musical revelation hit me with full force, a theory: if The Beatles had 78s during this period in the Philippines and India, would there not be other "late 78s" by important, chart-making rock and roll/soul artists during The Fab Four's hit making era?

I began to think of what other groups were doing battle with The Beatles on the pop charts during the early to middle 60's. I made a list, which included several Motown artists, including The Supremes, Mary Wells, The Miracles, and the group that gave Motown their first #1 single, The Marvelettes. The Beatles had recorded Motown songs like The Miracles' "You've Really Got A Hold On Me," while Motown artists had recorded Beatles's material, including the album "A Bit of Liverpool" by The Supremes (released in the UK under the title "From Us With Love").

I came to the strong conclusion that Motown 78s---post 1960 era--had to exist.

However, in over 35 years of collecting records, including everything I could on the various Motown labels, I had never seen anything remotely connected to a Motown 78, other than the immortal 1960 pre-Motown single "Money, That's What I Want" by Barrett Strong on the Anna label, manufactured and distributed by Chess Records. This rare 78 is believed to be one of the very last 78 pressings in the U.S. The record was later issued on Motown's Tamla label.

And, of course, everyone knows The Beatles covered this Motown song, too.

I did find a copy of The Miracles-"Got A Job" on End Records from the late 50's; this was a pre-Motown production, the "answer record" to the Silhouettes hit "Get A Job" on Ember Records. (Interesting to note that The Miracles-"Got A Job" sparked indie rival Roulette Records to release an "answer record" of their own with the 78 and 45 rpm issue of "Found A Job" by The Heartbeats). However, as Motown was not officially set up as an official label at the time, I am discounted both the Strong/Anna and Miracles/End 78s as being authentic Motown 78s. (Sorry, Berry; sorry, Smokey)

I had put out my feelers to different international collectors and sellers. Just this month, my wildest dream came true: I have found a true Motown 78---a 1963-1964 release---issued by Dyna Products in the Philippines on Tamla Records (see image attached)

While I had previously found 2 other Marvelettes 78s of "(The Mashed Potato) Playboy" issued in the Philippines on the generic, white label Grand Records and Hi-Fi Records, it is this Tamla/Dyna 78 of The Marvelettes' "Way Over There" (featured on the film soundtrack "Nothin' But A Man" and originally recorded by label mates The Miracles) that finally proved my theory of the existence of Motown 78s.

According to the single master number of #9016, there is the possibility that up to 16 Motown 78s were issued by Dyna in the early to late 60's. (Note: this theory has proven true for the Philippine 78 issues of both Cameo and Parkway singles, which not only copies the American label copy but also listed the full album catalogue number the 78 single was taken from; in the case of the Cameo label alone, there were about 50-70 78rpm singles reportedly pressed in the Philippines by Dyna Products).

Notice the positioning of the Dyna logo on the left and the Tamla logo on the right. If this arrangement, with the black background on top and bottom for song title and artist name on the bottom looks familiar to you, it should be: Dyna copied this logo arrangement from the American Decca Records and Decca's label subsidiary Coral Records, also from the early to middle 60's.

In closing with The Beatles vs. Motown 78s, It is ironic though that while The Beatles had several hits with Motown songs, no Motown artists ever had a hit by recording any Beatles songs.

Angelo Alexander

© 2005 Angelo Alexander

Social source share

Thanks for everybodies input.

Here's the transcript of the full article:

By Angelo Alexander

Once about 5 years ago when I was again gazing at one of The Beatles 78 rpm images, a musical revelation hit me with full force, a theory: if The Beatles had 78s during this period in the Philippines and India, would there not be other "late 78s" by important, chart-making rock and roll/soul artists during The Fab Four's hit making era?

I began to think of what other groups were doing battle with The Beatles on the pop charts during the early to middle 60's. I made a list, which included several Motown artists, including The Supremes, Mary Wells, The Miracles, and the group that gave Motown their first #1 single, The Marvelettes. The Beatles had recorded Motown songs like The Miracles' "You've Really Got A Hold On Me," while Motown artists had recorded Beatles's material, including the album "A Bit of Liverpool" by The Supremes (released in the UK under the title "From Us With Love").

I came to the strong conclusion that Motown 78s---post 1960 era--had to exist.

However, in over 35 years of collecting records, including everything I could on the various Motown labels, I had never seen anything remotely connected to a Motown 78, other than the immortal 1960 pre-Motown single "Money, That's What I Want" by Barrett Strong on the Anna label, manufactured and distributed by Chess Records. This rare 78 is believed to be one of the very last 78 pressings in the U.S. The record was later issued on Motown's Tamla label.

And, of course, everyone knows The Beatles covered this Motown song, too.

I did find a copy of The Miracles-"Got A Job" on End Records from the late 50's; this was a pre-Motown production, the "answer record" to the Silhouettes hit "Get A Job" on Ember Records. (Interesting to note that The Miracles-"Got A Job" sparked indie rival Roulette Records to release an "answer record" of their own with the 78 and 45 rpm issue of "Found A Job" by The Heartbeats). However, as Motown was not officially set up as an official label at the time, I am discounted both the Strong/Anna and Miracles/End 78s as being authentic Motown 78s. (Sorry, Berry; sorry, Smokey)

I had put out my feelers to different international collectors and sellers. Just this month, my wildest dream came true: I have found a true Motown 78---a 1963-1964 release---issued by Dyna Products in the Philippines on Tamla Records (see image attached)

While I had previously found 2 other Marvelettes 78s of "(The Mashed Potato) Playboy" issued in the Philippines on the generic, white label Grand Records and Hi-Fi Records, it is this Tamla/Dyna 78 of The Marvelettes' "Way Over There" (featured on the film soundtrack "Nothin' But A Man" and originally recorded by label mates The Miracles) that finally proved my theory of the existence of Motown 78s.

According to the single master number of #9016, there is the possibility that up to 16 Motown 78s were issued by Dyna in the early to late 60's. (Note: this theory has proven true for the Philippine 78 issues of both Cameo and Parkway singles, which not only copies the American label copy but also listed the full album catalogue number the 78 single was taken from; in the case of the Cameo label alone, there were about 50-70 78rpm singles reportedly pressed in the Philippines by Dyna Products).

Notice the positioning of the Dyna logo on the left and the Tamla logo on the right. If this arrangement, with the black background on top and bottom for song title and artist name on the bottom looks familiar to you, it should be: Dyna copied this logo arrangement from the American Decca Records and Decca's label subsidiary Coral Records, also from the early to middle 60's.

In closing with The Beatles vs. Motown 78s, It is ironic though that while The Beatles had several hits with Motown songs, no Motown artists ever had a hit by recording any Beatles songs.

Angelo Alexander

© 2005 Angelo Alexander

I don't think that's ironic at all.  Why would a Motown artist want to sing a Beatles' song?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't think that's ironic at all.  Why would a Motown artist want to sing a Beatles' song?

Good question. Another is why would a Motown artist want to sing a Tom Jones song? Marvin Gaye, Florence Ballard, Four tops - apparently it's not unusual.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Wow!  I never realised so many Motown artists sang so many Beatles' songs.  The Temptations singing "Hey Jude".  I don't think I want to hear that.  But, I guess that if Oma Heard can sing a "Merseybeat" song, anything can happen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

The Beatles never had a hit single with a Motown cover, they only ever appeared on LPs and EPs. As for Motown artists...

https://www.allmusic.com/album/motown-milestones-motown-meets-the-beatles-mw0000178176

13, 14 & 15 on there have got the wrong artists against them. 

Looks like somebody accidentally duplicated the artist (SR&TM) from 12 which is correct.

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

• 11 months later...

The original pposter sytated that "Money" by NBarrett Strong came out on Anna Records first.  But, it came out on Tamla Records first locally, and was leased later, to Anna for national distribution.  But, it is true that Anna did press some 78s of it, while U.S.Tamla did not.

Social source share

Here's the scan - it was posted in the not released in the US or UK thread (I forget the correct title) but there's lots of pages to go through. I'd have to go through it again to find out who posted it, but I don't think there's any other info about it.

But it's not a 78, so really shouldn't be on here - sorry Derek... 

Gladys Knight & Pips Ain't you glad you chose love Philippines.jpg

Edited by John Benson
added comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!