Tammi Terrell/valerie Simpson

On the current thread of Marvin Gaye it reminded me of the story that when Tammi Terrell was too ill to finsh the MG & TT "Easy" album Valerie Simpson apparantley finished off the vocals.

I have tried to see if I can spot which tracks she might be singing on but can't. Is it a myth or can someone identify which tracks they think Valerie is singing on.

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

On the current thread of Marvin Gaye it reminded me of the story that when Tammi Terrell was too ill to finsh the MG & TT "Easy" album Valerie Simpson apparantley finished off the vocals.

I have tried to see if I can spot which tracks she might be singing on but can't. Is it a myth or can someone identify which tracks they think Valerie is singing on.

Valerie sings on all of them except "I Can't Believe You Love Me", which features Tammi's original vocal and backing track overdubbed by Marvin.

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks Tone,

You put that with such authority - is it documented somewhere?

Kev

I asked Ms. Simpson herself about it, many many years ago. i'm sure that she reaffirmed it in, maybe, "In The Basement" sometime more recently...

TONE

Social source share

I asked Ms. Simpson herself about it, many many years ago. i'm sure that she reaffirmed it in, maybe, "In The Basement" sometime more recently...

TONE

Thanks again,

She does a brilliant job of it and I'm sure if it had been kept a secret we would have been none the wiser.

Kev

Social source share

Guest rachel

Read an article about this a while back, might have been online somewhere, I'll see if I can find it - seem to remember the author pointing out that while she got Tammi's voice down perfectly, they were missing the natural "oh Marvin, oh Tammi" improvisation/rapport that was there in the 'real' Tammi tracks.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If anyone wants to hear Val's original demo of Rita Wright's "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You" (sung in her real voice, and accompanying herself on piano) John Manship's auctioning a Jobete publishing acetate of it at the moment....

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Guest Doris

Ritz confirms it in his Gaye biography....

This is correct - she was the only other singer considered 'nasal' enough to pull it off , as for 'My sister Tommi' having just read this dont remember this having been said and nor does it mention this in Frank Gayes book . Each person have written these books from a different perspective and the comments on the making of 'lets get it in on' in both books are worth the read alone. Went straight and listened to this track again with enlightened ears ph34r.gif

Doris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!