Various Musings On The Salvadors

I didn't realise there were 2 pressings , I remember my mate Rob Thomas having one with a chip out of the run in . So were they pressed at different times ? and if so why , did it sell a load on release. Or am I talking bolleaux ? :g:  :lol:  

Social source share

Whoever it is has a phD in talking b*llocks   :lol:

it's a deeper shade of green oh wow and the "2nd pressing" is just so common.... :thumbup:

Come on - that is not b*llocks Pete - it's proper, proper knowledge about a stupidly rare 45 and the distinguishing marks between two different copies. It's a level of knowledge and vinyl expertise that many people could only wish for. Plus, he has the record as well  :D

If you were on the receiving end of such a comment I don't reckon you would be too impressed.

Looks like you're actually having a pop at my friend Tee - rather than Mr Manship - as it seems she may have crafted the blurb from her post above.

I'm sure a polite retraction will put you back on her Christmas card list  :thumbsup:

Richard

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

I didn't realise there were 2 pressings , I remember my mate Rob Thomas having one with a chip out of the run in . So were they pressed at different times ? and if so why , did it sell a load on release. Or am I talking bolleaux ? :g:  :lol:  

There was a blue one as well - not sure how thick it was. :)

Social source share

Come on - that is not b*llocks Pete - it's proper, proper knowledge about a stupidly rare 45 and the distinguishing marks between two different copies. It's a level of knowledge and vinyl expertise that many people could only wish for. Plus, he has the record as well  :D

If you were on the receiving end of such a comment I don't reckon you would be too impressed.

Looks like you're actually having a pop at my friend Tee - rather than Mr Manship - as it seems she may have crafted the blurb from her post above.

I'm sure a polite retraction will put you back on her Christmas card list  :thumbsup:

Richard

Yeah that's going to happen.

Edited by pikeys dog
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Please...someone pass the sick bucket....

Edited by pikeys dog
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It's not the first tool I've had in my hand Mr Holmes, and I'll wager it won't be the last :ohmy:

If a write-up seems curiously precise, with in-depth research, a dearth of extraneous apostrophes, and contains no obvious spelling mistakes or grammatical faux pas... it JUST might be one of mine :wink:

Even the description of a description is beautifully described!!! :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I sold that Phil some 2 years back. Got 2 copies at the time back in 90's.

I think once you bring micrometers into it you lose the mystique, passion and romance.

Rather like referring to Mr. Darcy as a 6' 2" 182lb Caucasian male rather than "his fine tall person, handsome features, noble mien".

On the whole though I'd rather read T's 45 flights of fancy than that bloody book.

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's not the first tool I've had in my hand Mr Holmes, and I'll wager it won't be the last :ohmy:

If a write-up seems curiously precise, with in-depth research, a dearth of extraneous apostrophes, and contains no obvious spelling mistakes or grammatical faux pas... it JUST might be one of mine :wink:

Couldn't read past the second paragraph as there were commas missing after 'mine' and 'eyes'...

Scanning the remainder, green, silver and mint were all spelt with an upper case letter so I just gave up...

Seriously, a great write-up for a truly great record. Oh, I thought the second press had dimples rather than pimples - any further info on this?

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If a write-up seems curiously precise, with in-depth research, a dearth of extraneous apostrophes, and contains no obvious spelling mistakes or grammatical faux pas... it JUST might be one of mine :wink:

Passionately and precisely written Duchess, and a powerhouse of a record.

I also have my own micrometer :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Salvadors where originally from St.Louis and did local backing at the Riviera nightclub there for Soul acts when they were in town, E. Rodney Jones was a local radio legend there before he went on to bigger things in 1965 at WVON in Chicago, after he had brought the Salvadors over to record their first record in Chicago (Nike) he brought them to Jo Armstead to record again this time SBMB on Wise World. I think the second press was done (local) for local sales in their homebase St.Louis, at least the rarer press is often talked about as the "St. Louis press".  

Props to Boba for his great radio interview with one remaining member of the Salvadors back in the day. RIP. 

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So they do a pressing, then replace that with a damaged master plate to do a second run?

First pressing done in St Louis then another press was done in later in Chicago. Or visa versa lol . I wonder how many were pressed in St. Louis because if it was popular enough to do a second press then just how many were pressed in Chicago. Did they pull it after a few pimples were discovered as a pressing plate fault or did they just press a few to use as demos in both places ?

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

An imperial measurement would be more appropriate, given said vinyl recording is of North American origin (46/1000ths of an inch).

This has sparked interest from all the Engineers I'm guessing. Mention a micrometer . . .

Edited by Grayman45
Social source share

You tool handling isn't it question.!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The band were not based in Chicago, they were from St Louis, and had been performing together on and off for years, in St Louis.  The band travelled to Chicago with E. Rodney Jones to record SBMB, the amazing Donald Lloyd sang the lead vocal, and they came home again.

Social source share

The band were not based in Chicago, they were from St Louis, and had been performing together on and off for years, in St Louis.  The band travelled to Chicago with E. Rodney Jones to record SBMB, the amazing Donald Lloyd sang the lead vocal, and they came home again.

Yeah so I read.  In Chicago when they made the record though.

Social source share

If you are going to play with us big boys on here in the record collecting world you are going to have to realise that facts are secondary to shouting the loudest, and logic is where we write the things we make up........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Who packs master plates so badly that they can be damaged.  Why do a tiny press in St Louis on a Chicago label, then come back to Chicago and do a "2nd" press using damaged masters.  Surely common sense would tell you the original would be released in Chicago seeing as the label and the band were based there at the time.  "Oh hang on, let's fly down to St Louis for no reason, press 100 copies, then come back, change the design and issue 5,000 copies in Chicago".

They could have been getting their kicks on route 66?

In US terms the 2 cities arent that far apart.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Pete did you disclose how much the copy you auctioned a while back went for please? I had a quick look but couldn't find it  - thought you had  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Pete did you disclose how much the copy you auctioned a while back went for please? I had a quick look but couldn't find it  - thought you had  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Well apparently I didn't, so I read, so I obviously didn't...

Social source share

(Just for Rod's benefit :lol: )

"It is a truth universally acknowledged" ha ha, that yes, first press was in St Louis on the thicker vinyl, then plates taken to Chicago with Jo Armstead and two minute little dimples knocked into them, presumably in transit, causing the tiniest pimples on the second press on thinner vinyl.  These pimples since being used as authentication marks on that press, which of course was the only one known until relatively recently.  When both records are held side by side, it's clear that master plates are identical, but weight of vinyl and depth of colour of labels/text is significantly different, hence the necessity for the unromantic but enormously anorakically satisfying micrometer :)

Now I'm confused. The first quote says the first press was in St Louis with the plates then taken to Chicago.

The second quote says they travelled to Chicago to record SWMB.

So from what I've read on this thread it was either:

1. Recorded and pressed in St Louis first and then taken to Chicago and presssed again.

2. They recorded it in Chicago and then went back to St Louis to press it and then returned to Chicago to press it again.

or is there a third possibility that it was recorded and pressed in Chicago first, then the group returned to St Louis and pressed it again there?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Salvadors where originally from St.Louis and did local backing at the Riviera nightclub there for Soul acts when they were in town, E. Rodney Jones was a local radio legend there before he went on to bigger things in 1965 at WVON in Chicago, after he had brought the Salvadors over to record their first record in Chicago (Nike) he brought them to Jo Armstead to record again this time SBMB on Wise World. I think the second press was done (local) for local sales in their homebase St.Louis, at least the rarer press is often talked about as the "St. Louis press".

Props to Boba for his great radio interview with one remaining member of the Salvadors back in the day. RIP.

Goldsoul were first in tracking down the Salvadors. We did an interview with member Flint Lloyd. The two way was published by this very site. Time for a re-launch Mike?

Social source share

And poor old Donald died never having the slightest idea that he was a northern soul icon of the highest order :( All hail to Bob A for finding his brother a few years back and cataloguing a little of their history.

Theresa. I found him, did an interview and passed his details to my good friend the late Bob Abrahamian. Soul Source as far as I know were the first forum to publish the interview with Flint Lloyd.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Just diversifying a sec, I put several artists in touch with Bob A, and I know at least one went to go on to record again due to that contact, but the only person who ever got back in touch after the show - not that I care - was Ray & Dave, well one of them anyway, the other was dead but I forget which one, anyway he was a Reverend and was totally amazed anyone knew his record and he was so chuffed to go on the radio show to talk about his career.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!