Babies & Records

It's funny because my records are on shelves in the corner of the living room and when the grandkids first used to visit there were 2 things they did't go near.

One was the fire and the other was Pete's (that's what they call me :lol: ) records and to this day since they were babies not one has been near them or the Technics  :thumbsup:

Amazing what the threat of violence does eh?  :boxing:  :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

nearly had a heart attack when i got home from work to find youngest daughter, age 3 at the time trying to put my records into the cd player and looking at me saying broken daddy.

i can laugh about it now but at the time eddie parker love you baby with a chiped edge was just not funny :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Ha ha sounds like my house, both my kids and there mates and my granddaughter who,s nearly three, know never to touch my records,

Even when we go out I have to warn them, although it is a standing joke, and they usually mention it before me..lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When my lad Sam was a baby he was in his walker whizzing around the living room I was sorting my records out for later that night when I was DJ,in the box was outa the way on the sofa the phone rang so I went into the hall to answer it when I got back Sam was in front of the sofa with several rare 45s on the tray of his walker and Ray Agee losing again in one hand and Calvin Grayshon Loves just begun in the other he then put Calvin in his gob and with his only two teeth took a bloody bite outa Calvin Grayshon yikes thank god it was,nt Ray Agee....The little sod never got near my records again lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When my granddaughter was about 12 months I found her bobbing her head to Heard It Through The Grapevine every time a certain TV ad came on. That progressed to me trying her with a few tunes on Youtube and she was very keen on the Mello Souls and Salvadors as well as a lot of RnB numbers. Now that she's 19 months she has a few very unique 'groovy moves'.  I've had the decks out and she's got to recognise some of her favourites by the label and can be very insistent as to what she wants played. She's lifted a 100 count record box but knows not to touch records but I sometimes let her press the start button on the decks. Oh, and she has a plastic/card retro 50 count box that she carries some of her toys in.

I think she's brilliant !

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

I have a one year old and she already knows how to stop and start the CD player and she seems to enjoy "dancing" to soul music. My vinyl is out of reach an LOCKED in the box. Any other way and it would end up destroyed!!!

Social source share

I've always played my records to my daughter who is now nearly two - she always wants to go in the record room and she picks 45s out and hands them to me to put on and dances like crazy round the room.  I'd never tell her not to go near them or touch them...I just make sure the more valuable ones or my favourite records are out of reach.

Her favourite records at the moment are Black Sabbath - Paranoid and this one  Jeronimo's great version of Na Na Hey Hey

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember being in the car with my son when he was about 5 years old and I was playing a tape of general Soul.  He had let it be known that Love Starved Heart and maybe a couple of others were acceptable, but when this one came on I thought it was a definite step too far and he was going to nag me like crazy to get it off - bit too much like hard work if you get what I mean.  Anyway, he sat through it in silence while I carried on driving and waited for it to finish and be safely out of the way, then said "can we have that one again?"

Nearly fell out of me seat, if you can do that in a car.

Nick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5btlB8LKumc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

my 18 month old grandson recently walked past me whilst I was watching TV firmly clutching two of my prized 45s I had just purchased and left out , it took

a large piece of chocolate cake to prise these  away from him !! .Does anyone know if chocolate fingerprints on labels affect the price ???

Social source share

have taught my 10 year old daughter how to use the record player , how to handle the records etc . also the term "FLIP IT" she shouts! , "FLIP IT" i shout back

to which she turns it over . She now has my permission to play them when ever she wants . She did say "even when my friends are here ? "ABSOLUTELY NOT"

i cried with clenched teeth and the look that she know too well ,when i mean it  :wicked:  :yes:   

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!