Record Shops In Toronto

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

When are you going to be there? I have a table at the big record show on Dixie Road with approx 1000 soul, funk, reggae, r&b 45's at $5 each. Next show is October 19th. Henry's warehouse in Scarborough is worth a visit.

Here is a link to the record shows in the GTA although they do not start again until the autumn - https://www.vibrations.ca/record-shows/2014-show-list

Kops on Queen still has lots of soul and he does have a few Northern boxes as well. Cosmos on Queen and the other Cosmos store can be fun for a few hours but be warned, the Northern stuff is not priced so you have to leave them with him to price and he will use the internet for pricing. It is worth it if you are looking for a couple of things for your collection but not if you are looking to resell.

There is another store called Grasshopper Records, he is on face book, that could be worth a visit but, again the stuff is not priced. I pulled a decent pile of reggae and soul last time I was there but condition and price could also be an issue.

There is another book store - Pandemonium - that has a decent stock of records and last time I was there I got a couple of nice items as well - Masqueraders on Bell being one of them.

I will also gladly meet you and bring some 45's and albums when you are in town or you can come out to Waterdown.

Social source share

Rob thanks,

Newer, many thanks for the info, we are stopping downtown, I'm there next month for 10 days, so I'm hoping I might get a chance to check a few store out, ( depending what the wife has plans )

At the mo I'm not sure what' we are gonna do, it's just a last minute planned holiday,

Many thanks for the offer of meeting up with some bits, I,ll get back to if I think it's gonna be worth your while,

Rupert

Social source share

Cosmos might let you go into the basement if you ask nicely, though they check all prices on-line before they sell, so not always cheap, Kops are all priced, and if Martin's son Alex is working in the shop it's fun as he loves to hear about the Northern scene. Try the thrift stores, I've pulled stuff out of them, but it's being there at the right time as there are plenty looking to make a dollar. Scarborough is a Toronto suburb and easy enough to get to on public transport so Henry's warehouse is worth a visit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a quick update, Kop's has opened another store up on Bloor Street but there is no, or very little Soul 45's there, stick to the Queen Street store.

Cosmos has moved from the store with the basement (I used to love it down there) and all the 45's are now all over the new store. He will use the internet to price things but I still manage to get some nice bits and bobs now and again. Last time he pulled out a new crate that he had just got and it was packed with rare Cleveland Funk and Soul 45's but they were out of my price range. 

There are lots of stores on Queen St West and Kensington Market, College Street, Yonge Street (all in reasonably close proximity to each other) but do not spend to much time on them but it is still worth popping your head in and asking.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!