Soul Duos

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One of my current faves is Pat and Andre - You're breaking my heart on WB. I bought it in a lot some years ago and didn't listen to it for a while. Since a few weeks I'm listning to it again and I think it's great. I don't know anything about them, but it's a great beat ballad sound, I'd say.

Another duo I can't stop listning to is Collins and Collins - Top of the Stairs on A&M

Social source share

Sam & Dave, seen as too popular by some but pound for pound are the greatest duo around, too many well known songs but also some nice tracks tucked away on LP's.

followed by Knight Brothers (awesome reissue cd recently) and Ashford & Simpson, seen as lightweight by some but two of the greatest singers that when put together just are magical.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Who would you class as the best soul duo? I'll go for Eddie and Ernie.And I'll go for 'Outcast' as the track I like the best.

On a more southern note, I enjoyed that Texas sound of Pic & Bill.

link

Soon as I saw your topic header Eddie And Ernie sprung to mind. Spun Outcast at Lifeline..great record. Formed the basis of Left Out for Jesse Johnson on Old Town (Eddie Campbell co-wrote it). Sooper :):thumbsup: They've got to be the greatest Soul duo EVER.

Social source share

Soon as I saw your topic header Eddie And Ernie sprung to mind.  Spun Outcast at Lifeline..great record.  Formed the basis of Left Out  for Jesse Johnson on Old Town (Eddie Campbell co-wrote it).  Sooper  :)   :thumbsup:   They've got to be the greatest Soul duo EVER.

link

I agree, Chalky and 'Outcast' fits in seamlessly when you play it along with Whitworth Street favourites. It's an atmospheric haunter from the first tenatative note and then the soft , echoey uttering of Outcast by the backing singers BEFORE Eddie & Ernie have even voiced the word is eerie.

Social source share

I agree, Chalky and 'Outcast' fits in seamlessly when you play it along with  Whitworth Street favourites. It's an atmospheric  haunter  from the first tenatative note  and then  the soft , echoey uttering of Outcast  by the backing singers BEFORE Eddie & Ernie have even voiced the word is eerie.

link

Forgot to add thanks for making the link bewtween this and Jesse Johnson. It is , isn't it?! By the way, it's just dawnwed on me how closely JJ had been luistening to Jackie Wilson.I'd never noticed how many of the vocal tricks are similar.

Social source share

Forgot to add thanks for making the link bewtween this and Jesse Johnson. It is , isn't it?! By the way, it's just dawnwed on me how closely JJ had been luistening to Jackie Wilson.I'd never noticed how many of the vocal tricks are similar.

link

Yep, even down to the same lyrics in parts. :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

No-one's mentioned The Sims Twins. So I will. The original male soul duo. Also, what about The Soul Twins? Both awesome singers, and maybe the best soul duo, in terms of their incredible singing ability, both as TST and as Gas & The Funk Factory.

I absolutely love Eddie and Ernie. Lots of people mention "Outcast", and yes, it is good, but believe me, they made literally dozens of far better records, both as a duo and as solo artists.

Another underrated duo, who always sang with tons of soul were Willie and Anthony from Miami.

Social source share

Pic & Bill all three sides on Charay

All three? blush.gif They released at least nine or ten 45s on Charay. Some of them shared the same tunes, but still. Many of their Smash and Blue Rock recordings are also fabulous ("Soul Of A Man", "Just A Tear", "Gonna Give It To You", "Don't Put Me Down", "Sad World Without You" etc.). Plus they sang back-up on Willie Hobbs "Action" on Soft/Mercury.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!