Tonite - Northern Soul Bbc Living For The Weekend

Mike

Evidently not, though I didn't consider it either a barb or unnecessary.

Best keep out of each other way on here though, as your forthright, definitive posts on both the music and aspects of the scene do seem to wind me up! I've just clocked your latest effort!!

Worth considering the fact that this happens to me with no-one else on here like........

Cheers,

Mark R

Just block me so you don't have to see what I write!  I'll do the same :-)

Social source share

How do you know? Cracking 5 minute slot could have been dropped in the programme to show the passion and hunger for new tunes, the return to the underground and the rejection of the tired old stereotypes from the Wigan era which would have enough drama, e.g Butch's quote in Gareth's book.

I do however think its more likely the case that most of those who dropped out after Wigan wouldn't want up see it but that's more a case of convincing themselves that they missed nothing. Bit of ego preservation

That's what I said.

Social source share

I think they are correct, I C H M really is the template for thousands of Northern records, the only trouble is, the clip they showed was of a live version with some band playing it and sounded nothing like the original.

That made me laugh too.

They seemed to have a jazz drummer playing a shuffle beat.

Social source share

That made me laugh too.

They seemed to have a jazz drummer playing a shuffle beat.

Probably due to the fact the Tops started out as a jazz group and at that period were happy singing it in that style.

Anyone catch the Temptations as a four piece singin I Can't get next to you on the Motown at the BBC program after.

Social source share

Just voted, and gave it a 4, which, it seems is the choice of most.

As a programme meant to cover the topic for a more general audience, I thought it was ok, particularly the first 45 minutes or so.

I think the intention of the programme was to show the roots, history .....and the increasing interest shown by media and younger music fans in the NS scene as it stands.

Therefore, that 80s period would have been 'difficult' to convey within the remit .

Enjoyed it on the whole, although the impression that the Mecca era played 'gay New York Disco' only was strange to me. Perhaps an explanation as to playing 'Modern Soul' i.e. contemporary soul music would have been better IMO

Social source share

Probably due to the fact the Tops started out as a jazz group and at that period were happy singing it in that style.

Anyone catch the Temptations as a four piece singin I Can't get next to you on the Motown at the BBC program after.

Seen it before, Eddie Kendricks was basically on strike....he refused to tour, left shortly after that .

Social source share

There appeared to be quite a lot of turmoil in the group.

Paul and Eddie were a 'team'...buddies

Otis and Melvin likewise

David in the middle.

When Ruffin was sacked, Eddie sided with him

Otis , self confirmed leader, was against it....WhenPpaul committed suicide, I think Eddie was feeling unhappy.

Also, Eddie was unhappy with the post Cloud Nine stuff from Norman Whitfield

He refused to tour the UK...

Can't remember if he eventually joined the tour, but he was soon gone.

Social source share

Never really got on together like the Tops then?

In his excellent book "Where did our love go", Nelson George describes the Temptations as  "really two pairs of friends and one outsider (David Ruffin) with his own agenda".

PS Thanks Snakepit for beating me to it while I found the quote! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Found it yawnarma of what I watched and couldn't watch anymore Sharnya 

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Nothing to do with that I would have thought. Just the sort of show that clip was from - a TV variety show.

However that wasn't really the point - they were explaining the importance of a 4/4 beat and the clip they showed didn't have one, which I thought was funny.

Social source share

Just voted, and gave it a 4, which, it seems is the choice of most.

As a programme meant to cover the topic for a more general audience, I thought it was ok, particularly the first 45 minutes or so.

I think the intention of the programme was to show the roots, history .....and the increasing interest shown by media and younger music fans in the NS scene as it stands.

Therefore, that 80s period would have been 'difficult' to convey within the remit .

Enjoyed it on the whole, although the impression that the Mecca era played 'gay New York Disco' only was strange to me. Perhaps an explanation as to playing 'Modern Soul' i.e. contemporary soul music would have been better IMO

Don't agree with the 1980s being 'difficult to convey' at all. A mention that the scene 'went underground' at Stafford, Clifton Hall, 100 Club and tons of other venues would have taken less than a minute. Plus there's actual footage from Stafford, Tony's and other places!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't agree with the 1980s being 'difficult to convey' at all. A mention that the scene 'went underground' at Stafford, Clifton Hall, 100 Club and tons of other venues would have taken less than a minute. Plus there's actual footage from Stafford, Tony's and other places!

I was thinking in terms of the programme referring to the 'drying of of records' , and trying to explain the 80s scene playing 'newies' that in many cases were older than 'oldies'.(had a difficult time with that at my work)...records that the previous scene wouldn't have played...not typical NS

No offence to those clubs at all

Social source share

Enjoyed most of it.

Lee David "Temptation is calling my name" sounded great!!!

The lowest point for me was having Marc Almond on!

His biggest claim to Northern Soul was making that crap version of the champion Gloria Jones record "Tainted Love".

Although it could have been worse they could have had Stuart Maconie!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Really......may be wrong,but don,t remember  ian or colin djing there.....and the point was  l thought they were all sat around playing NEW stuff for that night at the mecca........or did l read it wrong

Are you serious ?

Just because a tune was played at the Mecca first by either of them doesn't mean

to say it wasn't also played at the Torch, maybe even on the same night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Krissii

Never really got on together like the Tops then?

watch this... it's brilliant!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191239713624?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

slightly off topic so sorry about that...

back to the topic... I'd love to watch a post-Wigan documentary if any of you want to sell a couple of 7's and make one :)

Social source share

Guest Byrney

That's what I said.

"But Breaking Bad remained consistently brilliant from start to finish - the Northern Soul scene didn't, some people wouldn't want to watch what happened after Wigan."

This programme was targeted at the general public, so it reads as a reference to that audience as the scene after Wigan wasn't as good. Although some would say it was better.

But picking up your point as you meant it, that's so sad that those who dipped in only want to know about their time on the scene. Kind of confirms to me they're not really into it just the nostalgia and looking backwards.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Remember when I watched the Leicester 84 video including the dance competition for the first time. Was on a high for months same effect as This is England footage did when watched it first time. :)   

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Gave it a 1.

It was the usual same old crap.Dreadful.

Suppose its because i gave up on NORTHERN Soul early on as i soon realised it only meant dance music whether it was soul or pop .Liking Soul enabled me to encompass the whole lovely Black Music spectrum.Also not coming from the M62 corridor or being a miner i obviously didnt meet the criteria.Still like lots of us from Northampton,Wellingborough,Kettering,Corby,Harborough et all it was great fun thumbing it, jumping trains or borrowing cars to go up norf.  :yes: Lets not forget the other great niters that influenced our scene as well eh.Likes of St Ives,Peterborough,Yate,Stafford,and Clifton Hall to name a few. 

And please dont get me on BBC Motown when they show Gladys singing a non Motown number.Some chuffin Archive there then!!!!  :wink: 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I was thinking in terms of the programme referring to the 'drying of of records' , and trying to explain the 80s scene playing 'newies' that in many cases were older than 'oldies'.(had a difficult time with that at my work)...records that the previous scene wouldn't have played...not typical NS

No offence to those clubs at all

Easy, replace newies with new 60s and 70s discoveries and cut the drying up of records statement in the edit as quite simply this was misguided at best. Then outline the scene took a new, underground direction, a purist approach, an era that didnt suffer fools gladly whilst unearthing records to rival (and in many cases exceed) the quality of the previous decade... etc etc. Peice of pi$$ this scriptwriting lark :)

In fact it's that easy to fit into the narrative and has so much dramatic content that I'm convinced its not there as some of 'us' involved in these things don't want it to be. 

No diversion required from the structure whatsoever.

Social source share

Suppose its because i gave up on NORTHERN Soul early on as i soon realised it only meant dance music whether it was soul or pop .Liking Soul enabled me to encompass the whole lovely Black Music spectrum.

Wise words........

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Why do they drag out waterman?

nothing wrong with that..........they just don,t drag him out far enough lol :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

To save an hour of your life here's a summary......

Back in the 60's a Mod from the Smoke moved up Norf' and got a job at the local Pit, he then swapped his scooter for a 2 up - 2 down Terrace and half a pound of Black Pudding, then spent all of the 70's dancing around the local bingo hall to Sugar Pie Honey bunch, except for a short period when a rich bloke from Blackpool played some Disco tunes he didn't like. However all the DJ's who invented Northern soul in the first place got together and sorted all the rubbish out so now all the Young souls only have quality rare soul to listen to like Duffy and Tribute.

Sadly however he died on the 31/12/79 after overdosing on his Whippets worming tablets which he mistook for Chalkies.

why are you having a go at CHALKY LOL

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

People are giving this too easy a ride. It was poor on pretty much every level. A good historical documentary should ask not only what happened but why. It lacked even the personal perspective of Paul Mason's programme. You never really got the impression that any of this meant anything to anyone involved and that's criminal. 

That's not to slate those scene figures who took part as talking heads, as I understand once the interviews are done so much is down to the editing process. They were all pretty good.

The interventions of the 'celebs' were embarrassing. Norman Jay and Waterman were winging it so much it made my blood boil. The Tony Blackburn contributions were irrelevant. I can't believe that you have to feature these people in order to get the thing commissioned. Norman Jay's had nearly 40 years' worth of opportunity to get involved in the scene since his mythic visit to Wigan yet I've never seen him anywhere. Why does he get approached for these things?

The production team talked to me because of the book, but once I made it clear I didn't want to be on camera they weren't interested. The programme makers just think about 'content' in terms of minutes of film in a shoddy production like this. In a lengthy phone call with one of the researchers I addressed pretty much everything which everyone has mentioned above as a potential pitfall or shortcoming–celeb dross, cliches about the industrialised North, ignoring the 80s and 90s etc.: I'm guessing the 'conversation' (I'm using the term loosely) went totally over their heads. 

Because of the scarcity of historical archive footage Northern is a difficult subject to bring to the screen in a documentary, but once again we've been let down by a hackneyed presentation which views the scene as a kind of curio or cultural irrelevance on their terms. Bitterly ironic because to me the thing started and developed in the way that it did precisely to get away from soul fans being patronised by the cultural elite.

They go to these people..........because they don,t know where else to go..........but we do!!!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Are you serious ?

Just because a tune was played at the Mecca first by either of them doesn't mean

to say it wasn't also played at the Torch, maybe even on the same night.

Have you got ya timelines straight...........if it was first played at the torch...........how could it be a future hit at the mecca?????..........how could they sit around someones flat  debating the merits of this new tune to be played that night at the mecca............when it had been played many times at the torch???

Social source share

Watched it this evening, thought it was quite good and well balanced, everyone seemed to come over really well.

IMHO it didn't really cover much after Wigan as it was made from the point of view that Northern Soul was a youth culture of the 70's and is about to have (another) revival. It wasn't trying to document Northern Soul from the year dot to the present. It wasn't aimed at people who have ever been on the NS scene either.

Disagreed with whoever said you could get anywhere from Wigan and seemed to portray it as some sort of transport hub though, I only went once mainly because it took forever to get there and back.

That Marc Almond walked past the back door of TOS once when afew of us were getting some air, I offered him a flyer and said "Northern Soul mate?" And he told me to f*ck off. He used to go to Leeds Poly so there's no need for him to get hoity toity!

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Watched it this evening, thought it was quite good and well balanced, everyone seemed to come over really well.

IMHO it didn't really cover much after Wigan as it was made from the point of view that Northern Soul was a youth culture of the 70's and is about to have (another) revival.

And that point of view is incorrect. It's a youth cult that started in the 1970s and continued. But I suppose that's enough and in some cases a preferable perspective for many of those who were only around for a few years until recently. A skewed perspective that obviously some of us struggle with.

On the score I gave it a 2.

Social source share

Hi Ian

Not moving in such illustious circles as your self the best I can come up with to reinforce  my point  are the ramblings of a ex Glaswegian dustman and a an ex gas fitter from Hertfordshire. The Dustman by the name of John Anderson recalls Levine pestering him for a record entitled "It Really Hurts Me Girl" that he Levine reputedly had heard played on the radio stateside and couldn't find a copy. Lucky John put him out of his misery by finding one of the first two known white demo's out of his racks along with Eddie Foster's "I Never Knew" (amongst many, many others), Yes Levine did spin the Carstairs first but he didn't find it. On to the gas fitter a bashful guy known only as Mick Smith upon his return with his trust man servant Clive from the states in March of 73 promptly sold Levine The first copy of Lee David "Temptations Calling My Name", Tony Clark's "Landslide and Patti Austin's "Painstain" so that's aleast 5 legendary classic's that didn't come out of the Miami load.

I too also agree with some ot the previous other posters that Soul Sam should be included in any future attempted shows and how about another Northern Soul Lifer's contribution ? Keith Minshull some what disfunctional at times but he's got a memory like an Elephant  :yes:

Dave :D

dont you know that levine  discovered everything .....just ask him....

Edited by staceys dad
Social source share

yep, and those clips look far cooler and underground than the the vestniks and baggy trousered philanthropists on this is England.  

Social source share

IMHO it didn't really cover much after Wigan as it was made from the point of view that Northern Soul was a youth culture of the 70's and is about to have (another) revival. It wasn't trying to document Northern Soul from the year dot to the present. It wasn't aimed at people who have ever been on the NS scene either.

Disagreed with whoever said you could get anywhere from Wigan and seemed to portray it as some sort of transport hub though, I only went once mainly because it took forever to get there and back.

That Marc Almond walked past the back door of TOS once when afew of us were getting some air, I offered him a flyer and said "Northern Soul mate?" And he told me to f*ck off. He used to go to Leeds Poly so there's no need for him to get hoity toity!

I dont trust that marc Alomond either,  apparantly he had to be rushed to hospital and..........................................................................................., LOL. 

Social source share

You don't see many documentaries about Stamp Collectors, Metal Detecters, CAMRA (real ale lovers) etc.. etc... etc...

Just enjoy the fact the BBC have actually gone to the effort and expense of trying to tell a story about something which will never (NEVER) be fully told.

GOOD EFFORT.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Can someone name a few of the records out of that haul please?  :D

Carstairs I would imagine. Miracle's Love Machine, Pointer Sister's Send Him Back, O'Jay's I lLove Music, the list of early 70's tunes is endless. Check out the Mecca CD's for lists of latest discoveries being exposed in the mid 70's. Can't believe that Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles rarities were sitting around in Florida in their hundreds just waiting to be freighted off to Blackpool in a Wright Brothers plane with Mr Levine Snr chucking Gwen Owens out of the window to lighten the load...

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Carstairs I would imagine. Miracle's Love Machine, Pointer Sister's Send Him Back, O'Jay's I lLove Music, the list of early 70's tunes is endless. Check out the Mecca CD's for lists of latest discoveries being exposed in the mid 70's. Can't believe that Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles rarities were sitting around in Florida in their hundreds just waiting to be freighted off to Blackpool in a Wright Brothers plane with Mr Levine Snr chucking Gwen Owens out of the window to lighten the load...

You're a couple of years out mate as Miracles, O'Jays were 1975. The Miami (Flagler Street) Goodwill haul was all ex-radio station stock. He heard the Carstairs on the radio whilst in Miami which at that time was a demo only and couldn't get hold of a copy but found I think 3 copies in a then recent circa 100,000 load John Anderson had got in.

Graham Warr was the first to find the Goodwill haul, but only went through a small fraction of it and then put Levine onto it.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Any TV programme about Northern soul seems to ckeep going over the same ground covering from the beginning to the end of the Casino. I went in the mid to late 70's. After that I drifted away until recently and would love to here about the rest of the history from the early 80's to the present

Exactly the same here.  Early 80`s until fairly recently is a complete unknown to me.

Social source share

Have you got ya timelines straight...........if it was first played at the torch...........how could it be a future hit at the mecca?????..........how could they sit around someones flat  debating the merits of this new tune to be played that night at the mecca............when it had been played many times at the torch???

Yes given that the Mecca became big after the Wheel closed in January 1971,

and the Torch opened in march 1972. 

Many of the records that were claimed to be played first at the Torch were originally

played at the Cats, Mecca, Up The Junction or even The L'ambassador in Bradford.

As for Thumb A Ride, I know I first heard it at Levine's house.

Whether he or Colin played it at the Mecca or Torch first who knows

a lot of gear has passed under the bridge since then.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Remember when I watched the Leicester 84 video including the dance competition for the first time. Was on a high for months same effect as This is England footage did when watched it first time. :)

Couldn't agree more

My mates big brother posted him the the video up to Scotland as soon as it came out, we bunked off school that afternoon to watch and the rest as they say is history, as I watched that video taking in every step, turn and spin in that dance competition, I knew then and there that I wanted to be part of this scene in its entirety.................... ,

The mid eighties on the soul scene was a very unfashionable and underground place to be, and we loved it, no more baggy trousers and vest brigade with cries of " Right on brother and keep the faith " , Jesus wept!!!

The amount of people I met as my job took me nationally who said, " I went to Wigan " was ridiculous! These weren't soul fans or even music fans but clubbers at the time who followed the crowd and went to where it was fashionable to go, they had nothing in common with me. and how I felt. I hated the fact that the Casino had attracted them in the first place.

I'm glad Peterborough, Stafford, Morecambe, Leighton Buzzard, Loughborough, Blackburn, not to mention Allanton , and the rest of them did'nt get a mention, my memories of these venues that brought me through the eighties and early nineties are safely preserved.

As previously stated the documentary was nothing more than a potted history of the scene with the focus firmly on the 70's. I enjoyed it.

Edited by 123-motown
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Enjoy the programme and the forthcoming film for what they are but bear in mind it won't be safe to go to a soul night for a while once Joe Public decide 'I'll have some of that'

It'll be drinks and barging on the dancefloor with a few fights thrown in at the end of the night

Dedicated soul fans will have to return to the all-nighters for a good six months until the novelty wears off

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!