Stopping Buying / Selling Up

Paulb

Also, it's very arguable that if you are sitting on a big expensive collection, in just one generations time, you are not going to see any monetary value pay you back what you have invested even, as values plummet as the last of that 'real' generation exits this mortal coil.

This is a very real possibility.

I'm not saying the scene will die, of course not, but it will evolve & the ones that take up the slack are from a digital age don't forget, that shiny plastic doesn't have the same appeal.

This will happen, 15 years max IMO.

While there will always be a market, not unlike old stamps or something, but this market will be a fraction of the size.

I know a very well known DJ we all know who agrees & thinking of getting rid of stuff just sat at home too, for these very reasons given his age & he has NEVER sold from his collection on the past.

The clock is ticking all the time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Going through this myself at the moment. Desperate for money and in financial trouble, and having the actual vinyl isn't making the music sound any better. Record collecting and passionately loving soul music are two separate things I've come to realise - I thought they were inextricably linked but they are not. Especially when you realise some with all the 45 in the world don't really even like soul music. A few people I know have said breaking free and selling them off has been a real weight off the shoulders. Collecting is great if you aren't an obsessive compulsive, and I am. A fucking skint one.

Amen brother.

Where does it end? That's what made me sack it off. The thought of living that way forever.

Granted, everyone is different - but for me it was a massive weight off my shoulders.

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

It may sound strange, but there are several days when I walk downstairs past the massive pile of boxes of soul 45s and soul LPs and think some combination of things.

-Wow, what a great stack of records I own!  

-When am I going to have time to listen to them?  Maybe in 10 years after the kids go off to university?

-Why do I have all these records when we need to do some updates to the house and I'd rather pay both car payments off?

One of my kids asked if we could go on a holiday this year.  For a lot of reasons (money mostly), we can't.  That's when I walk past the collection and feel guilty.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

So you lot have nearly talked me into maybe parting with a few,the idea of getting rid all at once is just not an option so have been pondering the 300 box idea?Since giving it some thought I've become more confused (yes I know it's not hard before some of you start :lol: )?If I was to do the 300 thing what does that consist of?I collect.....early 60t's/RnB....60t's northern & 70t's.........do I keep 100 of each or do I keep 300 of each,surely it's 300 of each........it'd be just too big a wrench to whittle it down to 100 of each.Until I sort that dilemma out I'll keep hold of them :g:

Cheers

Confused From Hull :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

have recently been pondering on whether to sell up as I have a new interest which as taken over the buying of vinyl, ive never been a hoarder of

records and have over the years sold on stuff I don't play or wouldn't miss...so have been left with approx. 500 original 60s us and uk 45s which I

would say 75% would value at £100+, in a ideal world would like to sell everything as a collection so that im not left pondering if I or should I

are there people out there willing to spend say £20,000 on a collection? or sell as a collection on ebay?

Social source share

So you lot have nearly talked me into maybe parting with a few,the idea of getting rid all at once is just not an option so have been pondering the 300 box idea?Since giving it some thought I've become more confused (yes I know it's not hard before some of you start :lol: )?If I was to do the 300 thing what does that consist of?I collect.....early 60t's/RnB....60t's northern & 70t's.........do I keep 100 of each or do I keep 300 of each,surely it's 300 of each........it'd be just too big a wrench to whittle it down to 100 of each.Until I sort that dilemma out I'll keep hold of them :g:

Cheers

Confused From Hull :D

Martyn, get to grips.... be the first to own a million tunes, don't get all emotional all of a sudden :thumbup:

Neil

Edited by Labeat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

My collecting has more or less ground to a halt, due to limited time and money but that's definitely not caused me to lose interest and think of selling.

I stripped down the collection using the 'if I dont love it or dj with it, it can go' filter.

I had a lot of stuff that I bought cheap and kept because it was pretty good, or 'interesting' and I dont miss any of that.

I'm trying to develop a house and have no disposable income at all and could really use the money, yet when I consider selling a perfect record I find the prospect offensive; what, to buy a fucking gutter?, a load of plasterboard?

It raises the question - what could you buy that is better? What could you do that is better, go jogging?

I realise, then, that if it came to it, I'll sell the fucking house and spend the money on records rather than the other way round!

you end up with a nice house and no records, I dont know...guess I'd feel like just another comfortable boring chump.

Not that I feel defined by records or any other material stuff, but they're an interesting thing about me and lead to a world of other interesting things for me to do and people to know, more interesting than anything I could do with the money...you start getting rid of stuff like that out of your life and spending the money on less interesting things than its not good, and what is more interesting?

I can only think of two things...which happen to work well in combination. If you're gonna spend the money on them, go for it ;-)

'

I think that the we do feel defined by our records, that's why they mean so much. I thought that my record box was a reflection of my character. That if someone was to flick through my box they would get a feel of what kind of person I was and likewise I could suss someone out by their tunes. And I think that is true to a certain extent. I used to really enjoy djing because I felt that I could play a set that no one else would, or could. That's why when I heard a tune that I knew would fit I just had to get it. It was a case of joining the dots together and the finished article was a piece of art.  I would 100% never play a record that someone else had made popular - absolutely no chance. It meant to much to me to be copying others.

But its all a load of b*llocks really. They are plastics discs that play a tune and that is it. And that worst bit of all was I was dedicating all my time and money to it and the reality is that so few people really get it.

Mik - build your house. I think it would be chumpish not to.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All or nothing with me Steve - you know that mate! I can't do things in halves and expensive record collecting just doesn't agree with me.  Can't stick to the £10 and £20 tunes unfortunately. Nothing worse than lying in bed worrying about how you're going to pay for the records you have on hold.

Social source share

what would happen if we all got the "" right i,m selling up all my rare stuff ""all at once....maybe we would find out whats really rare and whats not.as i,m in the mood for buying.if anyones getting nervous pm me with your top tunes and condition i might make you an offer you can,t refuse !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've got well over 10,000 45's and 5,000 + LP's.

There are days I look at them and think, wow, what an incredible collection of superb Soul Music!

And today is one of those days.

Just wanted to share that with you.

:thumbup:

Sean

Thanks for sharing, it made my day......

My problem is available space , if i was a batchelor i would be looking at a collection of many thousands, somethings got to give when you share your home with others :wicked:

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There are days I look at them and think, wow, what an incredible collection of superb Soul Music!

Sean

Sean something thats always struck me about people who have such large collections, how many of your records will you never, ever  play again?

Do you ever think about that? I'd say it would be fairly large %

If so, whats the point in having them? Any thoughts on this from others with large collections?

I've got a very modest collection (less than 1000) and am going through them and recording onto iTunes in alphabetical order (seems to be taking ages and i"m only up to D  :huh: ) and its struck me how many I haven't played in years :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sean something thats always struck me about people who have such large collections, how many of your records will you never, ever  play again?

If so, whats the point in having them? Any thoughts on this from others with large collections?

I've got a very modest collection (less than 1000) and am going through them and recording onto iTunes in alphabetical order (seems to be taking ages and i"m only up to D  :huh: ) and its struck me how many I haven't played in years :g:

Most of them Steve.

I rarely have the time.

It's an illness.

An unhealthy obsession.

Like most 'extremes'.

Seriously thinking about applying a few filters of my own at the minute.

But I can't imagine a future without a collection.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

That's why I eventually gave up accumulating loads of records. I've probably still got 5000+ which is 35,000 less than I had 30 years ago. With CDs and Music Files I now have more music than I've ever had in my life. But who am I kidding? In order to listen to everything I have now I'd need at least 10 years of continuous listening, which obviously isn't feasible. I think I came from the big collection generation! Even tonight I'm still bloody listing, adding all the stuff that wasn't even on Discogs when I started listing there in 2007........ it's a never-ending chore.........

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

What i dont get is the idea if i dont sell now they wont be worth anything later.So what.If you spent too much more fool you and if you bought to sell at a profit you werent in it for the music/scene.I have never bought a record thinking its an asset for the future.

Still it is a lot of dosh if i sell now!!!!  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think that the we do feel defined by our records, that's why they mean so much. I thought that my record box was a reflection of my character. That if someone was to flick through my box they would get a feel of what kind of person I was and likewise I could suss someone out by their tunes. And I think that is true to a certain extent. I used to really enjoy djing because I felt that I could play a set that no one else would, or could. That's why when I heard a tune that I knew would fit I just had to get it. It was a case of joining the dots together and the finished article was a piece of art. I would 100% never play a record that someone else had made popular - absolutely no chance. It meant to much to me to be copying others.

But its all a load of b*llocks really. They are plastics discs that play a tune and that is it. And that worst bit of all was I was dedicating all my time and money to it and the reality is that so few people really get it.

Mik - build your house. I think it would be chumpish not to.

I probably will Paul, but if you want to know the truth : the only thing that gets me through this period of grafting and not buying records / going out much, is the thought of buying records and going out dancing again in the future when I'm doing a bit better.

I did it because I f**king love it. I've had a good life and tried lots of things - this is what I loved the most.

the next best things are good, but nowhere near as constructive!

maybe it's just me; i look at the cunt who's on top of everything - nice car, nice house, good job, family holidays, going to live to be 150 and feel overwhelmed with boredom. I see that same cunt out dancing to a great soul 45, i feel happy to be alive and could kiss the c88t, same as how I feel about the artists who made the records.

Edited by pikeys dog
Swearing - Work Filters
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Paul,

This is an excellent thread which really gets to the heart of things - it's given all of us real food for thought, many different views and a good snapshot of the scene as it stands at the moment.

All I know is this - I've just bought two records tonight. Not 'big lads', not remotely expensive (but superb records) so it's not causing me any pain. But it's made me really happy and I can't wait for them to drop through the letterbox in a few days. I'll play them for a good while (I usually resurrect a few other discs when I'm doing this), file them in my 'current' box, look at 'em, read the labels and whatnot.... then in a week or so I'll check my wants list and look for another. 

I'm sorry the thrill for owning vinyl has gone Paul, and I hope you get it back mate....don't take for granted the wonderful soul artefacts you own.

ps I've never been a DJ, just a northern nut - we're allowed to collect records as well, you know!!  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I guess this thread shows the difference between someone who has their record collecting completely in control and thoroughly enjoys it, against the person that battles with no money and addictions and finds it difficult to deal with.

Noone is disputing the passion we all feel for the music. I do find it interesting that everyone has a different take on what it means to them and the differing comfort levels in each case.

And just to reiterate, I'm not saying collecting records is a bad thing. I'm just saying that it was a hard hobby for me to handle.

Edited by PaulB
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Sean

PS: But I know how you feel.

In 1984 I though FFS, I've created a Monster!

I sold 3 car loads to Rob Smith and was glad to see the back of them.

Kept just the stuff I just wouldn't sell...

...or couldnt sell!

And, for a little while, was happy to sit on a small but beautifully formed collection of a couple of thousand.

But... day by day it started creeping back.

Like rising damp.

See something I never had and wanted it.

See something I'd once had and sold... and wanted it back.

Bought a record a day (as an absolute minimum) and slowly but surely I ended up up to my neck in them once again.

Hey, if we can't do what truly makes us happy, what can we do?

I had a strong desire to off load a few recently, but a good friend talked me out of it.

A bit like talking me off the roof of a building.

He said, 'mate, we're getting old.

In your old age you'll want nothing better than to 'enjoy' your records'.

And I think he's got a point.

Just so long as I can afford a tin of soup and pay my heating bills :g:

Bloody good mate you've got there Sean!

Dave L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

IMO much more important than having a passion for collecting is having a passion for the music. I practically stopped buying records. But not in a million years I'd stop listening to soul music.

Of course, but like with hip hop, where some people are rappers, some breakers, some djs, some writers, some people on this scene are record people, some djs, some dancers, some just listeners. All aspects are necessary and of equal value

Maybe its self-selecting, if you can give one aspect of it up, then maybe that wasn't the aspect for you.

Even though its fashionable to bash them, I guess cos its become a lifestyle / investment choice for the borgeous, I for one really value the record obsessives, god knows how many records tney've saved from the dump]

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I guess this thread shows the difference between someone who has their record collecting completely in control and thoroughly enjoys it, against the person that battles with no money and addictions and finds it difficult to deal with.

Noone is disputing the passion we all feel for the music. I do find it interesting that everyone has a different take on what it means to them and the differing comfort levels in each case.

And just to reiterate, I'm not saying collecting records is a bad thing. I'm just saying that it was a hard hobby for me to handle.

I understand that mate. It took a long time for me to stop being depressed about all the great records I couldnt buy!

I had two choices I guess: to let it go or to chase it, trying to be at the top of the game, and get in a financial pickle.

I wrestled hard with a temptation to do the latter, but same as you, have the sense to realise its not worth living in stress over, it'll be there still when I'm ready, if its not, ima happy just listening and dancing, always have been.

The only difference is, so far, I cant let the ones I love go. Who knows; give it a few years, I might be driving a range rover, going on holidays and talking shit at dinner parties and forgot the whole thing.

Aye, right.]

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

About 4 years ago a very close, older  friend said 'I've always found record collecting somehow unrewarding, all those records, sut on a shelve'. It did my head in a bit the comment, got under my skin and basically having never organised shite all I decided to put on a soul night in my local town, it was good, the first few very busy, it grew and evolved a bit, I got to play the tunes, there was a purpose to collecting.

Even though I'm not involved in soul nights directly anymore I still get to play bits of my collection and its nice feeling involved in something. collectors shape music, they form the tastes of wider society, the're important, and its just sad that Northern has always been so wound up in that exclusivity/ $$$$ thing that it really does feel like your getting nowhere, unless your  super Ted or a handful of wizards with vast fortunes and castles in the sky. Paul it doesnt have to be that way, buy records, all sorts, god dam it even reissues! explore the limits of your taste, enjoy music and be free of that musical straight jacket known as soulocollectitus .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've read this thread...and put forth my feelings. I collect all kinds of music across the board. Northern has always got me up to dance...I can't not......nowt else does that to me. But....as I alluded to it in my Best Boot Buys latest comment.....EVERY record is a 'memory' to me irrelevant of the groove or label! I can tell you where I got every single record in my entire collection. If I sold any of them.....it would be like parting with your wedding photos or summink....assuming it was a happy marriage of course!!!  

If they were just records with good tunes on em worth a few quid.....i'd sell em without worry.....but very few of mine are of that ilk! So I can't do it........!x Trophy.....that's it....each tune is a 'trophy'....a happy memory of an individual or situation that came with the tune! My ex Mrs will tell u I still pine for me Boxing losers 6" shield awarded to me in 1967 Newham...Middlesborough! I was 6/7 and walked into a punch in the eye as soon as the bell went.....job done over and out just saw black patches humming in front of me eyes! I got a medal.........me Ex threw it out in the 90's.........listen to me 20 years later.......!!! Imagine that happening to all me individual 'trophy's....!!!! NEVERRRRR!!!!.....not now I do me own cleaning anyways up!!!hehe!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

I think this is a really good and also SOULFUL thread. And as I'm being threatened to be pushed out of my rather small apartment by my - not so huge - collection it has something to do with me, too.

I've done nothing but downsize over the last 3 years especially. Space is becoming a major issue, especially in overcrowded cities like London. If I hadn't have moved a couple of years ago I'd be being stung for bedroom tax for a roomful of vinyl!

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Just to add a different angle to this thread, there are people who are just collectors, if it wasn't records it would be something else. There are people who come into my shop and buy plastic kits, and they have rooms full of unmade kits which they admit they will never have the time to complete. That's a collector. 

I have never been a collector, and can't understand the need to own every record that was made on a certain label, but these people have made a great contribution in saving the history of black music, so I'm very grateful to them. I could never do it.

To me it's all about what's in the groove, and I would love to have a small box of my favourite 45's, but my finances mean that's just impossible.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Started the addiction in 77 and although I love the music I fell out of love with DJing. I think I have done far more than I could of ever dreamed of. Two years ago I decided to sell and was unsure how I would cope so I let about 65% go. Some of them killed me but got over it and no regrets. 

May let the rest go next year

Still attend soul nights and always will

The Mrs is sick of me saying I used to have this.

Being honest I thing coping with the separation of your vinyl depends on your personal life style, if you got other interests to throw your self at then its not to bad. If you haven't your doomed   

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Started the addiction in 77 and although I love the music I fell out of love with DJing. I think I have done far more than I could of ever dreamed of. Two years ago I decided to sell and was unsure how I would cope so I let about 65% go. Some of them killed me but got over it and no regrets. 

May let the rest go next year

Still attend soul nights and always will

The Mrs is sick of me saying I used to have this.

Being honest I thing coping with the separation of your vinyl depends on your personal life style, if you got other interests to throw your self at then its not to bad. If you haven't your doomed   

That made me laugh, we all do that don't we?  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for sharing, it made my day......

My problem is available space , if i was a batchelor i would be looking at a collection of many thousands, somethings got to give when you share your home with others :wicked:

So very true Steve. What used to be my 'Record/music Room' is now my daughter's bedroom.....but I wouldn't have it any other way ;-).

Dave

Social source share

A collection can easily take over your life. Mine is under control I think. But then I mostly collect cheaper tunes and not necessarily the most sought after ones. I try to weed out titles from my collection on a regular basis so it never grows too big. Luckily I manage to reduce purchases when I need to. The music is the most important but I do get a buzz out of finding new stuff, especially records that seem to be obscure.

I'd be collecting something anyway, so why not records? Even if they can get expensive there are other collecting habits that are worse. Without the records I'd probably collect art. Records take up less space and you can buy more for less.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

great thread ............... regarding a general need to collect objects generally........... soul and related   records/memorabillia ( not cheap  tat like badges } are the only thing i have ever remotely wanted to collect ,buy or own in any quantity or to spend   substantial cash on since i was a child and nothing else will ever excite  such a collecting fever  .......and thats how good it is ........... :D ez

following poor health and inability to travel as i used to to niters :ohmy:  i am in the" not sure" place where i sell some things then get tempted when others comes along.......... i dont play tunes at home much now so thats a indication.....however.i miss the buzz and seeing all my friends made on the scene...... a head and  heart filled  full of soul just never  quite recovers...........and thats  how good it is .....ez

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

I have pretty much lost interest in it - I still buy records but just to sell on at a profit.  Now I have a daughter it's an easy question - do I want that pile of old 45s or do I want a family holiday in a f*** off big villa with a private pool???  Christmas presents / clothes etc no contest

I can always buy the records back one day when I'm rich.

Stopping DJing has also had a lot to do with it - I no longer need to chase 45s - its also helped me start appreciating music properly rather than just considering how a 45 would sound played out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

It's crossed my mind a lot lately since my heart op and other things are quickly becoming more important than the vinyl but I do love collecting tunes I love but I would prefer having a few more quid in my pocket instead and apart from the odd trade and the odd purchase I have hardly bought a record in the last few months and passed up the opportunity of purchasing a couple of long time wants which this time last year would of had me doing whatever it took to own them. Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself and the meds are having an effect but I honestly don't think I will be travelling to far for a night out anymore and for me its the being out at a nighter aswel as the collecting they go hand in hand. I've got all my tunes recorded so can still listen to them if I decide to sell up and if I do sell up I know for a fact that will be that for me and I will have a few quid in me pocket again and not spending every spare penny on records again. This time last year it would never of crossed my mind but times change when your life is changed and turned on its head.

Social source share

Another day on,another day thinking about the 300 box,another day been even more confused,another day but I've come to a conclusion...........

F*ck You Lot!! I'm keeping them all........another day collecting  :thumbup: 

Cheers

Martyn :wink:

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I will add...I have never gone after a tune because of its money tag or owt. I used to follow Butch at the 100 Club regularly....he'd leave me with a £grander+ every time to follow.......the most successful takeover I had after such an occasion was with the first ever spin at the 100 Club of Fats Domino's If You Don't Know What Love Is.....which I found the day before for 50p......absolutely rocked the joint! So...I collect 'tunes'.....nowt else! I have only bought about 30 specific tunes in the past 10 years or so of 'value'. I don;t drink so possibly save £50-100 a week?? £3k a year? £30k in 10.......but have only spent about £4k on tunes in the past 10 years! I collect from Boot Sales....and it either hits...or misses....and I get by on that! I stopped using money to please me back in 1990 really.....had a life changing experience in 2000....and since I am easily pleased i;d say!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

1995.....I'd heard it for the first time in a record shop in Brighton day before.....bought it for 50p.....went out to get in me car to go home.......car stolen!!! It;s all I had and the clothes I stood in!!!! I got home Saturday lunchtime....the record never left my side since walking out of the shop until I took over from Butch.........It filled the floor....but I din;t care if it didn't........job done!x

Can you believe how 'attached' I have become to it.....??!!!! Worth??? Priceless!!!!!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kL863eLCQE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!