Tommy Dent Soul Thing On Cobblestone

Guest gordon russell

F88k me, I am a soul snob and a crossover king,  and I think Tommy Dent would have me gliding side to side over the dance floor any time.  Sounds like the messy excitement sort of thing that would work at 3am.

Mind so would the United Sounds, just slower and maybe a little back to front glide rather than side to side.

Its not often I get the chance to agree completely with Steve G, so a childish high five down to his Ivory tower in Londinium, since he is completely correct.

He has houses all over the gaff........one minute london (islington for sure) the next  chipping norton. :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Its got some interesting titles that on first glance make you think of long hair and smoking dodgy fags, but on closer inspection I wouldn't be surprised if it was primarily Black music? However I don't know 99% of them so its just a guess. Any further insight Mr S?

And as for Tommy Dent being pop, I don't get that at all, he may be blue eyed but I would say thats a heavy piece of Black music. Judging a piece of music as soul or not purely based on its Northernability as some of the early posts do does make me chuckle.

yeh they wouldn,t of played it at wigin  (not good enough)

Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 30/07/2014 at 15:32, Modernsoulsucks said:

I don't think it's a pop record. Sounds black to me. Just the beginning reminds me of those mindless poppy Wigan instrumentals. Not keen on that constant clapping effect either really.

My prime was 8.15am November 17 1984. You should have asked me then. Been downhill since.

ROD

The flipside is deep soul.

Dave

Social source share

23 hours ago, Louise said:

The flipside is deep soul.

Dave

That would be a very wide definition of deep soul. Has got the same gravelly vocals, but the flipside is an uptempo dancer as well.

It's the sixth track on this mix of mine if anyone wants to hear it:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

19 hours ago, Arthur Fenn said:

As i recall this is probably the mintish copy that went through ebay quite reasonably 3/4 yrs ago for about $2.5K so not a bad return on investment. Not a record i like tho 😀

No, the copy that sold two days ago on ebay is not the same copy as the 2012 one.

The copy that sold now has got writing on the "Miss Woman" side, the copy that sold in 2012 didn't. Ofcourse someone could've written on the label during those 8 years, but that would surprise me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Copies of 45's can turn up anywhere. Labels sent promo copies of records all over the world for various reasons.

For example one copy of this Tommy Dent 45 turned up in Sweden back in 2010 via a record company / publishers archive. 

Another copy has emerged through a UK publishers archive.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Copies of 45's can turn up anywhere. Labels sent promo copies of records all over the world for various reasons.

For example one copy of this Tommy Dent 45 turned up in Sweden back in 2010 via a record company / publishers archive. 

Another copy has emerged through a UK publishers archive.

Of course these makes me think of the almost impossible task of trying to find out who he was ?

What we know is that he was probably New York based at the time.

I did wonder at one stage if he was Tom Dent the Author/ Civli Rights from New Orleans, but he left New York in 1965 and there is no mention of him singing

https://faulknersociety.org/tom-dent-author/

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Of course these makes me think of the almost impossible task of trying to find out who he was ?

What we know is that he was probably New York based at the time.

I did wonder at one stage if he was Tom Dent the Author/ Civli Rights from New Orleans, but he left New York in 1965 and there is no mention of him singing

https://faulknersociety.org/tom-dent-author/

See post three in this thread:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb thing I did: Got a copy of this from Greg Tormo a million years ago and loved it...quickly stumbled on a second copy for, I think, $40, and assumed it wasn't rare, having found two copies randomly within a couple months. And so traded on my spare for very little. Oh well.

Social source share

Wessex Auctions (Chippenham) today sold a copy of Toomy Dent on Cobblestone for a whopping £2900 .

It was an individual lot in a large auction of rare soul. It included: acetates, demos, unknown cuts (particularly some unknown Buddah releases from Monk Higgins publishing) , rare northern and a few rare deep. The more expensive lots such as Tommy Dent and Lainee Hill (£500), Kenny Wells (£320), went for considerably more than their estimate but those with an estimate of around £100 went for about £60 - £80.  Some 380 items and maybe a dozen only not sold. Personally I'm happy with what I paid. I had expected to pay more. Prices seem to have dropped for middling price records but stayed high for the genuinely rare

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/wessex-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-srwess10237/search-filter?archiveSearch=False&type=Vinyl Record

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Don’t forget all these prices will not include the extra 20% or so commission (17% Auction House commission + VAT on the commission). 

So the Tommy Dent for example would have actually cost the buyer £3480.00 !!! and the Lainie Hill would have been £600.00 and so on...

Social source share

Yes that’s me, I still have tend of thousands of records from that library and still selling them on Ebay, not just Northern Soul, but Psych, Mod, Prog, Rock etc...

You are the guy that bought the Mike Batt Acetate from me, why would you owe me money?

Social source share

• 1 year later...

The seller appears to sell dvds,so he has fell lucky on this 45,probably paid next to nothing for it! i would imagine a collector/dj will put him right on a true figure and get the record!

personally to my ears it sounds like a boring stax bside,not something i would break my neck trying to obtain!

alsofurther down the page there is a bill cosby little ole man for £2.5k 😂

and tc lee and bricklayers for £2.5k 😂

so that's 3 jokers selling at ridiculous prices !

Social source share

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, ThomasEDentIII said:

I've heard his acoustic version of this and "That's What Love Will Do" on a cassette tape my mother had.
"Soul Thing" is my least favorite of his discography, and I really enjoy the songs where he has a softer tone. Although "Hair" is always a fun one, too.

I guess you are a relative...?

Is there anything you can share about Tommy, the 45 in question, recording, associates, etc.

best

Kenb

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2014 at 23:12, Pomonkey said:

There's been 3 copies spun in NYC for 15+ years, and actually holding a 1968 photo of Tommy right now, we've spoken to him and tried to convey how highly we regard all his work, he's amazingly interlinked to many artists we've worked with over the years and a classic example of the countless unsung greats of 60's soul recording.

Never seen a photo of him just found this article from New York

New York Magazine - Google Books.jpg

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!