Tommy Dent Soul Thing On Cobblestone

Butch is still hammering his copy, so best hear it nice and loud wherever he's playing, rather than relying on computer speakers and a rip from a G+ copy. I'm sure I'll give it a few spins too whilst I'm around. too And Mick H will more than likely do the honours....a fairly recent pick up for the fellow.

Thanks Greg, I don't go out anymore mate, mainly due to people playing stuff like the Tommy Dent and thinking it's good.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Is this UNITED SOUNDS available to hear anywhere?

hope not lol :D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Comparing Tommy Dent and the United Sounds is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm just glad that only Soul Sam has the TD, that way I only have to miss his spot to avoid hearing the bloody racket.

That was my point originally.......Tommy dent played either side of a tune like united sounds ....can make it better or worse depending on like or dislike..........Tommy dent needs to be played in the right type of set   as does united sounds.......l used united sounds merely as an example..........then the thread kinda skewed  sorry! :D :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

OK I just played it. Very nice Crossover, and I can quite understand why people would think it was brilliant. Crossover was never my thing, but it's a very good record.

Just played the Tommy Dent again, very loud in the shop. It's really bloody awful.

Horses for courses phil,but there was a day  when any dj you booked that strung  3,4 or 5 of those in a row and you,d of been up there shouting and hollering....to ramp it up.........how times have changed :yes::)

Social source share

Horses for courses phil,but there was a day  when any dj you booked that strung  3,4 or 5 of those in a row and you,d of been up there shouting and hollering....to ramp it up.........how times have changed :yes::)

Records like that United Sound and its ilk are the reason the Northern Soul scene nowadays is sh*t and dying, and places like Stoke that play 'traditional' Northern will always thrive and get ten times the numbers.   It's the same with anything when people 'progress' it or 'take it forward' - they do it for their own purposes and don't care about the people they are meant to represent.   Why do people eventually stop going out?  Because the music is not what they want to hear.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Records like that United Sound and its ilk are the reason the Northern Soul scene nowadays is sh*t and dying, and places like Stoke that play 'traditional' Northern will always thrive and get ten times the numbers.   It's the same with anything when people 'progress' it or 'take it forward' - they do it for their own purposes and don't care about the people they are meant to represent.   Why do people eventually stop going out?  Because the music is not what they want to hear.

Don't forget that Stoke does well because of the added rare room to swell the numbers.... something for everyone there

Social source share

I get that you don't like the United Sounds Pete, but your analysis is misplaced, IMO......the Northern Soul scene isn't dying, it's fracturing. We've been through it a million times, that there are those punters that no longer want to hear the same old classics, week in, week out. Whilst Stoke was in full flow, a smaller yet just as vital event was going on 45 minutes away, with fresh and exciting, new sounds.....well to some, they're fresh and exciting. To others, they're not pre-approved northern tunes so will never sit well described as a 'northern soul' tune. Embrace the change, and realize that whilst of course all opinions are absolutely valid, it seems like we're heading for a 'Northern Soul' and a 'Rare Soul' scene split....both separate in attitude and the types of tunes that you'll expect to hear at them.

No people said this in 1979, 1980, 1981 Greg but these modern soul 12" records they were playing actually made me stop going out because it was the total antithesis of the music I'd gone to hear.  I'm not saying I don't like the United Sounds, I'm saying I'd like to hear it in my armchair but if I were to go out, I would like to hear music that doesn't sound like this - I want to hear music that sounds like Bernie Williams and Get It Baby, if not necessarily those two.   60's uptempo newies, yes, love to hear them, drab crossover records, can't stand them.

But this isn't about what I like or don't like, it's about one particular record (or two now) so best get back to that.  I know you lot are serious about your soul music, I'm just not as serious as you.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's just inevitable that for the scene to continue going forward there will have to be either a dumbing down in quality or a complete change of style. Trouble is the style has changed and the quality has dumbed down as well. Good luck to the people who think it's good music.

The only person I would go out to hear play a spot is Cliff Camfield. I reckon he's the best Dj in the country. And I don't mean any disrespect to anyone else. But if you want to hear something you don't know, but think wow what's that, then Cliff's the man.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I get that you don't like the United Sounds Pete, but your analysis is misplaced, IMO......the Northern Soul scene isn't dying, it's fracturing. We've been through it a million times, that there are those punters that no longer want to hear the same old classics, week in, week out. Whilst Stoke was in full flow, a smaller yet just as vital event was going on 45 minutes away, with fresh and exciting, new sounds.....well to some, they're fresh and exciting. To others, they're not pre-approved northern tunes so will never sit well described as a 'northern soul' tune. Embrace the change, and realize that whilst of course all opinions are absolutely valid, it seems like we're heading for a 'Northern Soul' and a 'Rare Soul' scene split....both separate in attitude and the types of tunes that you'll expect to hear at them.

Greg...you have to be careful..........none of us want to be at venues playing the same old same old,but playing stuff that is second rate...just for the sake of it  ain,t right either............sean has it spot on  at burnley he keeps it burnley  and it,s top drawer all night at soul funktion he lets his hair down and plays that soulfunktion beat...and thats great to........thats something a lot of promotrs/soul lovers    fail and have failed to do........it has to be vibrant..not forgetting underplayed tunes from the past............not just new for the sake of it  atb  T

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It's just inevitable that for the scene to continue going forward there will have to be either a dumbing down in quality or a complete change of style. Trouble is the style has changed and the quality has dumbed down as well. Good luck to the people who think it's good music.

The only person I would go out to hear play a spot is Cliff Camfield. I reckon he's the best Dj in the country. And I don't mean any disrespect to anyone else. But if you want to hear something you don't know, but think wow what's that, then Cliff's the man.

Agree with this wholeheartedly........always remember Cliff playing  cheaper,but brill stuff long before anyone else........he,s one of the fellas that made me love burnley for it,s music........do remember however that you said all this about other dj,s long ago...........l never forget a thing...........however always from long ago i,ve said   Cliff is a magnificent dj.....because of hid knowledge combined with his thinking..........looking forward to his set on the 9th.....by the way he,s got some brill c/ups

Social source share

Absolutely agree with you on everything there....there shouldn't be any compromise with quality. But I guess a lot of the scene has always been about trial and error, and it looks to me like we're at that place again. Trying to broaden the boundaries of a soul scene is always gonna be egg shell fragile, with others more receptive and having broader tastes than others.....I for one have never been a fan of the lighter 'pop'end of what others would call a quality midtempo'northern soul' tune. But that's just personal preference and something that in theory can be cross referenced in this thread. It totally has to be vibrant, sir......no doubt!

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

United Sounds is by far the better record, though it isn't my cup of tea, Tommy Dent is just awful to my ears if there were as many copies of that as Skanky get Funky would you be wetting yourselves, give me the Vonettes any day at least that is a record that knows where it's going!

Hear, hear.

Social source share

I have just listened to Tommy Dent "Soul Thing" (Cobblestone)....absolute SHITE! Crap like that was found, played, and discarded after the first few bars and put where it belonged, in a dustbin or down a grid.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have just listened to Tommy Dent "Soul Thing" (Cobblestone)....absolute SHITE!

NOT NORTHERN!!!

Don't worry too much about it ,I'm sure you wont be subject to hearing it on a night out anytime soon :)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I have just listened to Tommy Dent "Soul Thing" (Cobblestone)....absolute SHITE! Crap like that was found, played, and discarded after the first few bars and put where it belonged, in a dustbin or down a grid.

well said lado

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

`What's up with you bunch of tarts?….they're both cracking records…..different styles but both v strong in their own right...

the oracle has spoken :lol:

Social source share

what, like James Coit?

Most certainly, but this time not bother taking it to Station Road.....................in fact now that we live in a far more environmentally friendly world I could easily dispose of it in the correct recycling bin..................the one marked, "absolute SHITE!".

There, now off to polish my sandals have a ton of muesli and read the Grauniad.

Social source share

F88k me, I am a soul snob and a crossover king,  and I think Tommy Dent would have me gliding side to side over the dance floor any time.  Sounds like the messy excitement sort of thing that would work at 3am.

Mind so would the United Sounds, just slower and maybe a little back to front glide rather than side to side.

Its not often I get the chance to agree completely with Steve G, so a childish high five down to his Ivory tower in Londinium, since he is completely correct.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I don't really like either, where does that leave me:g:

Well you've just mentioned the best song on this thread :thumbup:

Social source share

Interesting label, Cobblestone…

Its got some interesting titles that on first glance make you think of long hair and smoking dodgy fags, but on closer inspection I wouldn't be surprised if it was primarily Black music? However I don't know 99% of them so its just a guess. Any further insight Mr S?

And as for Tommy Dent being pop, I don't get that at all, he may be blue eyed but I would say thats a heavy piece of Black music. Judging a piece of music as soul or not purely based on its Northernability as some of the early posts do does make me chuckle.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its got some interesting titles that on first glance make you think of long hair and smoking dodgy fags, but on closer inspection I wouldn't be surprised if it was primarily Black music? However I don't know 99% of them so its just a guess. Any further insight Mr S?

And as for Tommy Dent being pop, I don't get that at all, he may be blue eyed but I would say thats a heavy piece of Black music. Judging a piece of music as soul or not purely based on its Northernability as some of the early posts do does make me chuckle.

"Its niter music. 3am music for the dancefloor.The sort of tune that doesn't work at home ,when you play it your missus straight after United Sounds."

Post 32.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Its not often I get the chance to agree completely with Steve G, so a childish high five down to his Ivory tower in Londinium, since he is completely correct.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Steve G and having got that out the way I can now stick the boot in.

He is utterly wrong and to prove the point I'm from the North and I'm pretty sure that at no time have I been involved in the "Cheshunt Soul" scene. Sure Godin considered the name but on balance decided against.

I didn't know it was blue-eyed. Is it ?

ROD

Social source share

I didn't know it was blue-eyed. Is it ?

ROD

I don't know, sorry I was saying I could buy the fact he is blue eyed, but not necessarily so, but I don't buy it as a pop record. At all.

Cmon I thought the only point of keeping people as old as you on here with access was to answer such questions as above!

Social source share

Some great 70s jazz on the label. The Visitors album is mind-blowing. Not to be confused with the TRC or Dakar groups. Some interesting singer-songwriter stuff too.

Hmm, that makes sense of the titles, and maybe the long hair and funny fags too :-)

And never even heard of that LP but the Coltrane connection and a cheapish copy makes it too good not to buy!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!