Bbc Motown Albums

I have three Motown albums issued by the BBC featuring different artists. Last Sunday Richard Searling played the Detroit Spinners - "What more could a boy ask for", a different version,  off one of these albums.  Incidentally, not one of the three I have.  After the show I went through my three to check if there were any different versions on them and lo and behold "Brenda Holloway - Just look what you've done" is different to the 45.

My question is:  Does anyone know how many of these BBC Motown albums there are? seems they came out around 1986/87 and I now want the one featuring the Spinners.

Kev

Social source share

I've been wondering how many were issued. I've got 3, and from the numbers, I assume at least 8 were issued ? 

' My Guy '  TAIR86008, 7 tracks by Mary Wells and 7 by Brenda H

' Friendship Train ' TAIR86001, 7 tracks by Gladys and the Pips and 7 by the Isleys

' Please Mr Postman '  TAIR86005, 7 tracks by the Marvellettes and 4 by the Velvelettes and 3 by the Elgins. 

If there are  [at least 5 other ] could someone enlighten ?

cheers

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... Last weekend I took a few collectable LPs to the STABLES SOUL CLUB night (nr Wolves).. among them was a BBC LP

"MOTOWN SING'S THE HITS" - VARIOUS ARTISTS - BBC RADIO PLAY MUSIC TAIR 8800 3, STEREO, Including 4TOPS, SUPREMES, SHORTY LONG, STEVIE WONDER, JIMMY RUFFIN, GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS, Jnr WALKER & THE ALL STARS, DIANA ROSS.

The sound quality of the LP is superb, as are all the BBC TRANSCRIPTION SERVICES LPs, as they were made for broadcast only, defiantly not for the public, until 10 years ago record dealers could not advertise these LPs, some got prosecuted, as they technically belong to the BBC,

It is typical of me to keep things tucked away and only 3 dealers looked at the records,  JM sold a similar copy to mine last year, for good money with no hustle,  As far as I'm aware  there are not many about and are collected for that fact as the rarest EMI LP  on the TAMLA-MOTOWN LABEL issued for the public sold more, how many LPs is a mystery to me about 7 I think that BBC RP put out as shows, by the ways all tracks were from the time they were originally cut but slightly different than those issued,

:g: I hope this is of some helps, by the way I still have all the LPs that I went out with,   :thumbsup: DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are lots of Radioplay LPs but mostly non soul. I have these 7 TM based ones:

BBC RADIOPLAY   FRIENDSHIP TRAIN - GLADYS KNIGHT & PIPS / ISLEY BROS.

BBC RADIOPLAY 86008  MY GUY  MARY WELLS / BRENDA HOLLOWAY

BBC RADIOPLAY 85045  ROAD RUNNER

BBC RADIOPLAY 87046  SPINNING TOPS

BBC RADIOPLAY 86036  STILL CALLED THE BLUES

MARTHA & VANDELLAS BBC RADIOPLAY 85047  DANCING IN THE STREET

MIRACLES BBC RADIOPLAY 85048  TEARS OF A CLOWN

Edited by Paul McKay
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There are lots of Radioplay LPs but mostly non soul. I have these 7 TM based ones:

Thanks Paul,

To add to yours and mine there is:-

85042 Supremes/Four Tops/Temptations

85049 Jermaine Jackson/Rockwell

85050 Michael Jackson/Jackson 5

86003 Signed Sealed Deleivered - Stevie Wonder

86005 Please Mr postman - Marvelettes, Velvelettes, The Elgins

86003 Marvin Gaye - How Sweet it is

Kev

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... 1986/7 Would be about right. I have no idea of the value of the above Radio Play LPs or the one that I have, as this must be the topic has been raised as such, having not heard the above at a guess the value should start at £50 min, personally I prefer to trade records, rather than sell, it does not make sense to sell any of these LPs, & spend the money on petrol 20 fags a bottle of milk & a mars bar, does it,

Also I am sure that he LPs mentioned are not alone as the 10 years of MOTOWN, I'm sure exists, as are LPs from the late 6s from the in sessions of Radio 1 & 2 back in the 7ts I had 2 C60 tapes BBC promotions DJ Tony Barak bum & Kenny Everat all tracks were Motown  INNERVISIONS & WHATS GOING ON were on one copy with DJ comments, all I can say these records are unique and rare if you collect MOTOWN :g: MORE INFO PLEASE :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!