Best Soul Lp Ever From The 60Ts

Guest myersart1958

inez & charlie fox mockingbird second release on united artists as it has the track I see you my love

which is not on first sue release

Fabulous track...on a Symbol 7" and on her solo LP on Symbol which was also reissued on US Sue.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

^

Two great choices. Even though the Darrell Banks follows the line of the traditional soul LP up to that point (a few covers etc) it has a really unified sound. It's immaculately played and arranged and the singing is absolutely spellbinding. The Impressions' is probably their most complete LP.

Freddie Hughes on Wand is a great album all the way through and The Many Grooves of Barbara Lewis is perfect in its execution and sequencing.

All the Wilson Pickett LPs on Atlantic feature top class moments. All are essential despite being occasionally uneven in terms of the material. Favourite is possibly The Midnight Mover as it has 'Trust In Me' and 'It's A Groove' on it. Would be far higher in my all-time list if it didn't have to fall back on a couple early singles as filler (not that they're bad tracks at all, just available elsewhere).

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The Impressions 'young mods forgotten story' & Darrell Banks 'here to stay' win hands down for me, not only have neither got anything but great tracks on them they haven't even got a bad moment in a track

Ooh good shout, that top 10 is getting full. For reasons Gareth says, Darrel may just sit outside 10 but Impressions definitely. Bloody hell this is difficult.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Fabulous track...on a Symbol 7" and on her solo LP on Symbol which was also reissued on US Sue.

:hatsoff2:

Agree on fab track, got mint demo and issiue on symbol just dug it out and playing it now Ssssoooo nice

Social source share

Agree on fab track, got mint demo and issiue on symbol just dug it out and playing it now Ssssoooo nice

You like that...now try another LP only track on Sue...from Ike & Tina Turner ("Don't Play Me Cheap" LP) called simply, "Pretend"...awesome :)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Bobby Womack's two albums on Minit are certainly high up on my list but his second LP "My Prescription" just drops into 70s so I'll go for the first (1968)

"Fly Me To the Moon" 

Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)
Baby! You Oughta Think It Over
I'm A Midnight Mover
What Is This
Somebody Special
Take Me
Moonlight In Vermont
Love, The Time Is Now
I'm In Love
California Dreamin'
No Money In My Pocket
Lillie Mae
Social source share

Very hard to pick a 'best ever' but Freddie Hughes Wand LP, Darrel Banks "Here to stay", Gladys Knight & The Pips "Everybody needs love", Tammi Terrell "Irresistable" along with most of Linda Jones albums are well up there!

There's loads more that fall close that no doubt will get a mention by someone.  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

New sounds on turbo, but not sure if it just squeezed in to the late 69 or could be 1970.

I always thought it was late 1960`s Nev,no one seems to really know but someone who been in contact with band said  1971. Still waiting for a reply from Mr Smith lol.

Social source share

the ones i would have nominated have already been mentioned, a point id like to make is that when it comes to 45s 90% of my favourites would be from the 60`s however when it comes to albums most of my favourites would be from the 70`s and my collection reflects that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Right thinking caps been on and i have three categories of favourites.Some great great choices already boys and girls.

Here we go.

Fav Motown - Marvellettes, Sophisticated Soul

Fav non Motown - Ohio Players,16 Greatest Hits

Fav Compilation - Dave Godins Soul Deep on Contempo

Trev

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

You like that...now try another LP only track on Sue...from Ike & Tina Turner ("Don't Play Me Cheap" LP) called simply, "Pretend"...awesome :)

Those soul brothers & sisters over there in Japan teaching you about real soul ?

Only joking mate thats awsome, now ive gotta get one out of my poor kids inheritance

Garry

Social source share

Those soul brothers & sisters over there in Japan teaching you about real soul ?

:)

Those Deep Soul sounds will never take me alive...must...listen...to...more...poppy stompers mwuhahahaa!

:)

Social source share

Howard Tate's I Learned It The Hard Way on Verve.  Top-shelf production, top-shelf songs!

Have to agree with that too.Bought it when it first came out,and being on Verve-production is the dogs.

Also like to add Getting Ready-The Temps.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My top ten soul LPs from the sixties :

1. Aretha Franklin - I've never loved a man

2. Etta James - Tell mama

3. Impressions - This is my country

4. Temptations - Sing Smokey

5. Dells - There is

6. Bobby Bland - Two steps from the blues

7. Darrell Banks - Is here!

8. James Brown - I got the feelin'

9. Billy Butler - Right track

10. Jerry Butler - Ice on ice

Social source share

I would say the ones that got me started were :-

the early Tamla Motown hits albums , especially the early vol 1 and also the silver one (vol3) 

also the blue STAX HITS `67 album I bought as a teenager on holiday in a blackpool record shop on a backstreet not far from the funfair

also, the THIS IS SOUL atlantic compilation with some superb tracks on it

and my mate who had the Mitch Ryder album with Breakout and You get your kicks on it , on Stateside ( possibly called Breakout ? )

as a motown addict I had to buy those chartbuster albums , plus I bought some of the uk EP`s like Marvin Gaye etc too , lol :D

happy days

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

Spotted a rather nice...and rare...UK Tamla Motown LP whilst out and about yesterday...The Marvellous Marvelettes...was in fabulous condition as well! Worked out just over £200 if anyone needs it!? (Picture grabbed from the net and is not the one for sale)

:thumbsup:

post-9555-0-49014800-1407661276_thumb.jp

Social source share

Can't imagine any LP being more perfectly complete than...

Jackie Wilson - Beautiful Day - As a massive Jackie fan I'm sad he died at this point cos he was starting to make the best albums he ever had. Every track a banger. The definitive Sunday morning soundtrack.

Garland Green - Jealous Kind Of Fella - A million quids worth of quality on one LP.

Ruby & Romantics - Best Of - The superlative masterclass in world class arrangement and production, dripping with female emotion.

Lovelites - With Love From... - Patti and the girls nail every single one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't imagine any LP being more perfectly complete than...

Jackie Wilson - Beautiful Day - As a massive Jackie fan I'm sad he died at this point cos he was starting to make the best albums he ever had. Every track a banger. The definitive Sunday morning soundtrack.

Garland Green - Jealous Kind Of Fella - A million quids worth of quality on one LP.

Ruby & Romantics - Best Of - The superlative masterclass in world class arrangement and production, dripping with female emotion.

Lovelites - With Love From... - Patti and the girls nail every single one.

That lovelites album is in my all time top 5 but I always assumed it was early 70's - and 70's would be an interesting thread

Social source share

Someone mentioned a book, didn't Anglo American recently publish a price guide featuring albums and the 'Northern' type tracks listed?

Anyway, as a serious album collector and I do have most already mentioned,  I agree with those listed.

Here's one not mentioned and a great inclusion...

post-4912-0-10458200-1407787564.jpeg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some stunning choices, here's a few more:

Williams & Watson - Two for the price of one - Okeh

Jimmy James & the Vagabonds - New Religion - Picadilly/Atco

Esquires -  Get on up - Bunky

The Impressions - Ridin High - HMV

The Impressions - The Fabulous - HMV

The Impressions - Big - 16 HMV

Boy Meets Girl - Stax double LP Duets Project

The Big One - UK 60's Minit compilation : https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Big-One/release/3830104

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Jimmy James & the Vagabonds - New Religion - Picadilly/Atco

Got to be one of the best "British soul" albums.

Great music plus you get Pete Meaden's iconic sleeve notes. :)

post-6465-1217294089.jpg

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

O jays Ship Ohoy,oh! sorry thats 73! but thats soul!  Oh back to the 60's everything by the impressions big sixteen one and two,greatest hits  the whole works.Then theres loads of brilliant soul lps from loads of brilliant artists ,phook it to many to choose,though there is a group of albums up there as my top runners to hard to say which one.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MBarrett

It's at the pop end of the soul spectrum but it oozes class from beginning to end. I think their one and only studio album.

Don't press start unless you've got 35 mins to spare . . . . . . . . . :)

Track listing:

1. Walking In The Rain 2. Do I Love You? 3. So Young 4. (The Best Part Of) Breakin Up 5. I Wonder 6. What d I Say 7. Be My Baby 8. You Baby 9. Baby, I Love You 10. How Does It Feel? 11. When I Saw You 12. Chapel Of Love

https://youtu.be/A_V9awsuQpU

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!