Come On Train Don Thomas

• 4 months later...

The NUVJ people sent me 400 of the W/DJ demos for free many years ago.

The demos had been stuck in their USA  office all the time the record was repressed and so on..

I rang them up about licensing "Come On Train" for Inferno and in passing said to the guy on the other end of the phone that I really wanted a W/DJ copy.

(A few years earlier I had a W/DJ one  given to me by David Yates at DJM which got broken one particularly drunken night when we were playing records the night before a Ritz All-Dayer and I had never even seen a demo since) Dave released "Come On Train" in the UK and was sent from NUVJ/Vee Jay the  one W/DJ copy which I wangled from him.

I don't think anyone in the UK had ever seen another demo, which makes sense as I had now found out they had been lying in this office all this time.

Anyway the guy was nonplussed and asked why I wanted a promo copy and I replied  because I collected them. He said hang on a minute and came back and said we have 400 or so here, did I want them?.

I spluttered yes please and he said as long as you send the advance for the Inferno release they would send the records for free. Didn't even charge

postage.

Unfortunately the Northern scene was imploding at the time and I sold them dirt cheap!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

The demos had been stuck in their USA office all the time the record was repressed and so on..

I rang them up about licensing "Come On Train" for Inferno and in passing said to the guy on the other end of the phone that I really wanted a W/DJ copy.

(A few years earlier I had a W/DJ one given to me by David Yates at DJM which got broken one particularly drunken night when we were playing records the night before a Ritz All-Dayer and I had never even seen a demo since) Dave released "Come On Train" in the UK and was sent from NUVJ/Vee Jay the one W/DJ copy which I wangled from him.

I don't think anyone in the UK had ever seen another demo, which makes sense as I had now found out they had been lying in this office all this time.

Anyway the guy was nonplussed and asked why I wanted a promo copy and I replied because I collected them. He said hang on a minute and came back and said we have 400 or so here, did I want them?.

I spluttered yes please and he said as long as you send the advance for the Inferno release they would send the records for free. Didn't even charge

postage.

Unfortunately the Northern scene was imploding at the time and I sold them dirt cheap!.

I bought mine( w/d) in either 81 or 82. The guy who was selling them must have had about 25 pink issues but I think just a couple of Demos. I bought the Demo and one of my mates bought a pink issue( which I now have !).... It's funny because he also had probably 50- 100 copies of Epitome of sound as well ( proper ones of course).... Everything was in multiples !

(These were being sold at a local Northern Soul night)...

I wonder who it was ? Probably came via you though Neil !

I wonder though which is rarer now ? The W/D or Pink issue.... Great record any way you look at it !

Best, Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

The demos had been stuck in their USA  office all the time the record was repressed and so on..

(A few years earlier I had a W/DJ one  given to me by David Yates at DJM which got broken one particularly drunken night when we were playing records the night before a Ritz All-Dayer and I had never even seen a demo since) Dave released "Come On Train" in the UK and was sent from NUVJ/Vee Jay the  one W/DJ copy which I wangled from him.

Anyway the guy was nonplussed and asked why I wanted a promo copy and I replied  because I collected them. He said hang on a minute and came back and said we have 400 or so here, did I want them?.

postage.

Unfortunately the Northern scene was imploding at the time and I sold them dirt cheap!

Did a load of the white demos go to Dave Withers - I remember him selling copies off for £4 and I think he had pink issues at £3

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought mine( w/d) in either 81 or 82. The guy who was selling them must have had about 25 pink issues but I think just a couple of Demos. I bought the Demo and one of my mates bought a pink issue( which I now have !).... It's funny because he also had probably 50- 100 copies of Epitome of sound as well ( proper ones of course).... Everything was in multiples !

I wonder though which is rarer now ? The W/D or Pink issue.... Great record any way you look at it !

Best, Ivor

Well I had over 500 of the pink issue when new release and that was only me, so WD much rarer, the label said the 400 I had were all of them. 

Social source share

Well I had over 500 of the pink issue when new release and that was only me, so WD much rarer, the label said the 400 I had were all of them. 

Best, Ivor

John Farrell had loads of Epitome Of Sound... I had 100 plus at least,maybe loads more,from him and he had more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John Farrell had loads of Epitome Of Sound... I had 100 plus at least,maybe loads more,from him and he had more.

John had loads of good stuff back in the day. 

Mind you we all had, if only we had kept back a few copies of the stuff we had stock of.

Social source share

In that case , Thanks Neil,  i thought it had come through you but now i know that it must have.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!