Tweaking Deck Speeds

I know the purists will wince :angry: at this but do you ever give certain records a rev or two, more or less and think it improves them?

Yes I know they should be played at the speed intended but what records do you "tweak"???

BH

:thumbsup::lol:

PS Please ignore if your deck is not adjustable. :D:D

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know the purists will wince :angry: at this but do you ever give certain records a rev or two, more or less and think it improves them?

Yes I know they should be played at the speed intended but what records do you "tweak"???

BH

:thumbsup::lol:

PS Please ignore if your deck is not adjustable. :D:D

two off the top of my head,

barons of soul "you need love" +4

Teddy P "do me" -2

Mick

Social source share

two off the top of my head,

barons of soul "you need love" +4

Teddy P "do me" -2

Mick

Currently going with

Geater - Breath taking girl -2

Sir Henry Ivy - He left you standing there -1

Tempests - Someday - 0.5 (well it is an LP therefore don't need much)

Metros - Time changes things +2 (thanks to Neil Jones for that little tip!)

plus countless others that whatever the purists say (imho) sound great in a club tweaked up or down a touch.

I regularly see many top jocks tweaking up and down :thumbsup:

I know one DJ who has a monster crossover record that he plays at normal speed in Northern rooms and at -2 in Crossover rooms!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Got a huge list Blake.

Almost every 45 sleeve in my playbox has a +2 or -2 / - 3 symbol on the top right hand side.

Same goes for the inner sleeves of my album tracks.

Certain tunes just dont work otherwise on todays dancefloor and its a shame to leave them off the playlist IMO.

Even tweaked Marvell Love last night by -5 !!!

Have had scores of records through my hands over the years that, back in the old 'Black Box' Deck days, I would have loved to have been able to jack up or down a bit.

Now we have the technology... and if you've got the 'ear' for it, it works really well.

Yes sir. I'm a tweaker alright!

:)

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I know one DJ who has a monster crossover record that he plays at normal speed in Northern rooms and at -2 in Crossover rooms!!!!!!!!

Pray do tell Steve :Dsmile.gif

Hope Friday was ok

Cu all soon

Blake & Nicky

Hi B & N

Yep, twas a goodie on Friday at The Orwell - Mr Whitmore played some mighty fine tunes and Soul Sam and the gang pitched in.

Decent turn out despite the weather & the holiday season with travellers from London, West Mids & Gods own country (your words not mine!) Yorkshire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said tune is 'Kings of Soul' so work it out from there :D

Cheers

Lancashire Lad

Steve Plumb

ps Have also seen 'Love stormy weather' and 'I just can't speak' tweaked up biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Leave the Tempest alone Steve wink.gif:Dwink.gif ..Tweak away on the others though...Some who tweak forget to return it to 0 and then the next dj really looks a silly cu"t smile.gif:D:D ..

hmm yeah i played a very subdued dusty wilson once when the decks were right down lolol , sounded great though :D

Social source share

Leave the Tempest alone Steve :D:D:D ..Tweak away on the others though...Some who tweak forget to return it to 0 and then the next dj really looks a silly cu"t :Dsmile.gif:D ..

OK Tempests back to normal speed, suitably chastised wink.gif

Yeah, been caught by the tweaking DJ before and it's sod's law that you play an already fast record on a +4 setting so at least one dancer has a thrombo before the end of the record laugh.gif:D

Oh and what about the c**t punter who goes round switching the 1210's off when your back is turned.........that's a fu**king hoot that one smile.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Oh and what about the c**t punter who goes round switching the 1210's off when your back is turned.........that's a fu**king hoot that one laugh.gif

That's an easy one to spot Steve - no lights - how about lifting the needle about a mm off the record. That's a bastard to work out :D And my mate Bob's favourite - taking the whole headshell off (both if your playing a CD) and waving them at you from the back of the room.

Good for about half a minutes embarrassed silence at least.

Not that I need help in that dept :D

Girf

Social source share

That's an easy one to spot Steve - no lights - how about lifting the needle about a mm off the record. That's a bastard to work out :yes: And my mate Bob's favourite - taking the whole headshell off (both if your playing a CD) and waving them at you from the back of the room.

Good for about half a minutes embarrassed silence at least.

Not that I need help in that dept :ohmy:

Girf

Glad you said that last sentence Girth cos i was just about to :thumbsup::P:P

Another hard one to spot, especially if you're an infrequent CD player, is the tweaking up of the CD player from the last DJ who forgets to put it back!

Hope your well mate whistling.gif

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve P
Social source share

Currently going with

Geater - Breath taking girl -2

Sir Henry Ivy - He left you standing there -1

Tempests - Someday - 0.5 (well it is an LP therefore don't need much)

Metros - Time changes things +2 (thanks to Neil Jones for that little tip!)

plus countless others that whatever the purists say (imho) sound great in a club tweaked up or down a touch.

I regularly see many top jocks tweaking up and down whistling.gif

Cheers

Steve

Must try that with the Metros --just love it any way ---what a dirty sax break

tony

Social source share

Must try that with the Metros --just love it any way ---what a dirty sax break

tony

I tell you this 45 sounds awesome at +2

Neil Jones played it on Mr Maleady's wall of sound at The Orwell all dayer at +2 and it sounded the business :lol:

Cheers

Steve

ps Just to qualify this..........the 45 sounds awesome at normal speed too it's just that it adds a little more ooompphhh on the dance floor at +2

pps For anyone thinking of doing this with the original Metros US LP don't stick it on +2 or people will think Pinky & Perky have gone all Pied Piper thumbsup.gif:wicked::lol:

Social source share

I'm not a fan but I'll do it for my first record to keep the BPM's similar then restore it to its original speed. IMO + or - 3 is as far as you can go without effecting the integrity of a record.

It seems with some DJ's here, the later the hour and the more substances imbibed the pitch often goes up along with the trim, gain ect... All fun and games until a female vocal with strings is played, whereapon you find yourself trying to dance to a chipmunk with a backing track of nails down a chalk board. :thumbsup:

Samantha

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!