Vocal Or Instrumental

• Replies 69
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Anne Perry - That's The Way He Is.   Storming instrumental.

Dave Love - Colalined Baby.  Like vocal and instrumental but bought it for instrumental side in 70's.

Frankie Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite.  Could argue there are some vocals in this but not many.

Young Holt Unlimited - California Montage.  Arthur Fenn used to play it as a finisher at St Mary's Hall in 70's.

Social source share

Yes the Instrumental is class but the girls make it magnificent 

I think your mum has good taste

Young Hearts Unlimited   Soulful strut - has soul but Barbara Acklin makes it magic, even Dusty makes it more soulful 

Na mate, she likes Tom Jones and Lulu, never liked Soul apart from the odd Motown.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

...and of course, Cool Off  over The Mighty Lover nonsense.

But Cool Off wasn't instrumental.

Cool Off is an iconic record of the time but horses for courses Ideals/Mighty Lovers kicks Cool Off's arse off the field for me every time.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Going back in time, I didn't ever imagine LJR's Penguin Breakdown being anything other than an instrumental, still don't think the vocal compares.

Ditto Al Kent, You Gotta Pay the Price, none of the vocal versions since hold a candle to it.

Although the Supremes had a good try.......

Taff

What about Gloria Taylor?

Social source share

Scrub Board rather than Hold Back the Night

and I don't know if its been mentioned yet

Love is like an itching Funk Brothers rather than 

Supremes

I agree the Funk Bothers is the better version but for me Timothy Wilson version trumps em both, the Ralph Carter version isn't bad either.

I don't often hear the TW version so I may be in a minority on this alternatively it's a gem that's been overlooked for too long and needs some air time at big events

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Nearly always vocal for me but there are exceptions ...

Sounds of Lane - Tracks To Your Mind (can't abide Hey Sah Lo Ney)

Trampps - Penguin At The Big Apple (over Zing Went The Strings)

Ramsey Lewis - Wade In The Water (over any vocal I've heard)

Wingate's "Love-In" Strings - Let's Have A Love-In (over Flaming Embers)

Not many instrumentals I like but I prefer Little Sonny's version of Wade in the Water, but again Big Mama Thornton's vocal is better than any instrumental version.

Social source share

I agree the Funk Bothers is the better version but for me Timothy Wilson version trumps em both, the Ralph Carter version isn't bad either.

I don't often hear the TW version so I may be in a minority on this alternatively it's a gem that's been overlooked for too long and needs some air time at big events

Same here mate Timothy Wilson for me better Northern Soul sound

Social source share

I thought this is a soul forum, how can an instrumental be called soul. An instrumental (along with that pop music with the right beat) played on the Northern Soul Scene  is what we used to call northern dance music back in the eighties.

Tell that to the Funk Brothers :)

Social source share

Grab This Thing Pt 1 - the Mar Keys vs Don't Turn Your Heater On - Sam & Dave is a hard one to call. I knew the instrumental first so probably like that more.

There's loads of soulful instrumentals from Stax and stuff like San-Ho-Zay - Freddie King, Nowhere to Run - Earl Van Dyke and Burning Spear - The Soulful Strings are all full of soul.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert