Billy Davis - Stanky Get Funky

Patto

Hi Guys

Think i mentioned this a few years ago but i have an original copy of BILLY DAVIS --STANKY GET FUNKY--COBBLESTONE.I bought it from Dave Flynn several years ago now .

The thing is the Flip plays I'VE TRIED as it should but the title and credits are missing its just a blank cobblestone label.The Stanky side is normal(see scans).I have asked around for years and no one else has one the same.So i thought i would ask on here does anyone else have one the same,and has it occurred on other Cobblestone issues

post-8522-0-68228400-1407914640_thumb.jp

post-8522-0-52108300-1407914691_thumb.jp

Social source share

I haven't got one, but I have a few other labels like this....ie. missing info on one side, it is just a pressing plant fault.

To explain.....

basically two labels become stuck together when placed on the record during manufacturing and the top label gets printed with the record info. This top label falls off or is removed at a letter date leaving the record with a proper stuck down plain label.

Most if not all labels are preprinted with company name, design etc so tey can be loaded into themachine  ready for placing on record and over printed with record info. Simple really.

Not rare as to value but probably unique in its own right, now if you had a different song on the blank label side then that would be another matter.

hope this helps?

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All .... The Stankey 45, has always been a favourite one to dance to, John Abbey was a big fan of US country music, however this barn dancer, is not a rare record at all, and I was surprised when I saw how much it was selling for a few years ago, as it used to be a £2 record, the blank label makes it a collectable 45, 

But it would not improve it's inflated price, "how could it".

DJ Little Scotty still plays it and packs the dance floor, as I say a great one to bop to? :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

Not sure about the explanation from Dave (reforee) as the record labels are printed long before the records are pressed. Unless the US was different when I had singles done in 1975, sheets of the logo and background colour were printed in large quantities. When a single was being readied some of the logo sheets were printed with the title/artist etc and cut to size.  

Two labels, and occasionally three,  did sometimes get stuck together when the record was pressed, the top one just held at the very edge. I used to remove the top label from any I came across and still have loads, but unfortunately nothing of any value. 

The Billy Davis single with no info could have happened when a sheet of logo prints slipped through without having the rest of the info printed. I'm not sure how many labels each logo sheet had on but probably only six, not enough for the fault to be easily noticed.

Agree with Dave K about the inflated price for a record that was quite common in the 70's but I suppose that was a long time ago

Rick

Edited by Rick Cooper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!