Micky Lee Lane : Your Mind

Ik001

Can anyone enlighten me of the legitimately of this record put out by Mr. Manship ? He states it is taken from a studio acetate but the fact the record has a different spelling to the christian name sounds a bit strange.  Anyway rightly or wrongly I've ordered myself a copy, always a sucker for a different take.

Any information would be appreciated.

Best,

Ian 

Edited by ik001
Social source share

Can anyone enlighten me of the legitimately of this record put out by Mr. Manship ? He states it is taken from a studio acetate but the fact the record has a different spelling to the christian name sounds a bit strange.  Anyway rightly or wrongly I've ordered myself a copy, always a sucker for a different take.

Any information would be appreciated.

Best,

Ian 

How do you know JM put it out? It's been available for a while from a number of outlets.

The Test Pressing for sale on Ebay has this write up: (please note the spelling of 'night' as 'nite' has f*ck all to do with me and I'd like to distance myself from it as far as possible).

This PINK VINYL ADVANCE TEST PRESSING is ''1 of Only 5 COPIES pressed'' for the forecoming ' FTM Vinyl Series' Released on FLATTOP RECORDS, Mixed & Mastered By FLATTOP MARK. The A SIDE is taken from the UNRELEASED ACETATE of 'Your Mind' by The Sounds of Mickey Lee Lane'.

This track has never previously been released and was only Pressed on the RARE BELL STUDIO ACETATE . The track has the back line Beat of ''Tracks to Your Mind'' by ''Sounds of Lane'' and a completely different vocal and lyrics  to "HEY SAH-LO-NEY" by ''Mickey Lee Lane''. It has a fantastic sound and will fill any Dance floor, either in Rockin' Clubs or Northern Soul Nites across europe, it crosses over on both Scenes perfectly.

It was previously only released on The Flattop Brothers ''One for the Girls Part 7'' (500 Press CD) in 2008 and has never before been pressed on Vinyl.

The B SIDE to this Test Pressing is the Fantastic ''Wondrous Place'' By ''The Cherokees'' taken from their RARE MGM DEMO Released in the States & Produced by Micky Most. This track is an Uptempo Version  made famous by BILLY FURY and is at the Moment being Highly Played on The Rockin' Scene's most Popular Radio Show ''Forest FM''. Hosted By  STEVE STACK OF WAX ' on Wednesday Nites.

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

How d

How do you know JM put it out? It's been available for a while from a number of outlets.

The Test Pressing for sale on Ebay has this write up: (please note the spelling of 'night' as 'nite' has f*ck all to do with me and I'd like to distance myself from it as far as possible).

This PINK VINYL ADVANCE TEST PRESSING is ''1 of Only 5 COPIES pressed'' for the forecoming ' FTM Vinyl Series' Released on FLATTOP RECORDS, Mixed & Mastered By FLATTOP MARK. The A SIDE is taken from the UNRELEASED ACETATE of 'Your Mind' by The Sounds of Mickey Lee Lane'.

This track has never previously been released and was only Pressed on the RARE BELL STUDIO ACETATE . The track has the back line Beat of ''Tracks to Your Mind'' by ''Sounds of Lane'' and a completely different vocal and lyrics  to "HEY SAH-LO-NEY" by ''Mickey Lee Lane''. It has a fantastic sound and will fill any Dance floor, either in Rockin' Clubs or Northern Soul Nites across europe, it crosses over on both Scenes perfectly.

It was previously only released on The Flattop Brothers ''One for the Girls Part 7'' (500 Press CD) in 2008 and has never before been pressed on Vinyl.

The B SIDE to this Test Pressing is the Fantastic ''Wondrous Place'' By ''The Cherokees'' taken from their RARE MGM DEMO Released in the States & Produced by Micky Most. This track is an Uptempo Version  made famous by BILLY FURY and is at the Moment being Highly Played on The Rockin' Scene's most Popular Radio Show ''Forest FM''. Hosted By  STEVE STACK OF WAX ' on Wednesday Nites.

Many thanks for the informative reply and my apologies for misleading you with regards to the reference to Manship. Didn't really post this up to ask if anyone liked it, just wondered if it was a legitimate record or a "made for the market one" i.e Detroit Sound, Four Vandals etc.

Social source share

Many thanks for the informative reply and my apologies for misleading you with regards to the reference to Manship. Didn't really post this up to ask if anyone liked it, just wondered if it was a legitimate record or a "made for the market one" i.e Detroit Sound, Four Vandals etc.

If you're just asking that question, then I don't believe it's for real

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Everybody else finds boxes of indemanders exclusives etc...look what i found.A relic of the 1973 British soul drought

Yes used to have one of these myself but now own a proper one. Not everybodies cup of tea but I heard it in the Highland Room in 1971 when they were playing the Mickey Lee Lane at the handbagger venues and have always liked it.

Edited by ik001
Social source share

The link isn't the easiest thing to read but the key sentence is when the author says that the video includes " Mickey Lee Lane giving me the most unique acetate and possible only known copy of his own "Your Mind"  "

Like it or not, not a made up track. And 100% not  released for the Northern Soul scene as it's clearly not a Northern Soul record, regardless of the backing track's history.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like a lot of that stuff and it fits in there perfectly but you wouldn't play it as Northern...I don't mean you, I mean I - would you? I?

Well, perhaps, maybe?? They play that Line-dancing tune Tyronne Barkley Man Of Value at Soul events and at least you can stomp to this one. I'll give it a go in a few weeks and let you know how it went down.

Social source share

O good lord above

Experiment surely ??

Not to be played in public ??

Spoken as a garage/psych aficionado I presume?

I like a lot of that stuff and it fits in there perfectly but you wouldn't play it as Northern...I don't mean you, I mean I - would you? I?

The point I was trying to make is that just because something isn't Northern, doesn't mean that there aren't places outside of the Northern scene where it would be perfectly acceptable to play it. I've dropped it in psych/garage sets next to stuff like The Countdown 5 and the Hallmarks and I think it's fitted in perfectly well. Like I said before, if it didn't share an artist/backing track with a record that's been played on the Northern scene, it wouldn't have been discussed on here at all.

Nobody is claiming this to be a Northern Soul record but some folks can't judge a record outside of those parameters, unfortunately.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The point I was trying to make is that just because something isn't Northern, doesn't mean that there aren't places outside of the Northern scene where it would be perfectly acceptable to play it. I've dropped it in psych/garage sets next to stuff like The Countdown 5 and the Hallmarks and I think it's fitted in perfectly well. Like I said before, if it didn't share an artist/backing track with a record that's been played on the Northern scene, it wouldn't have been discussed on here at all.

Nobody is claiming this to be a Northern Soul record but some folks can't judge a record outside of those parameters, unfortunately.

Well they're claiming it'll pack the floors at Northern nights...

Social source share

I suppose it depends where it's played out then, can't see it going down well at the Bradford Rare and Underplayed venue or the 100 Club but despite the dislikes I've heard a hell of a lot worse (Carstairs record spring to mind!!)  :yes:

Social source share

Granted the seller of the test press said that - but that's clearly a ridiculous claim as part of his sales ploy.

I think I have to just get over the fact that some people have no other points of reference though: if I posted my Raleigh bikes flexi disc on here someone would comment on whether or not they'd dance to it at a soul night :lol:

post-1918-0-22893300-1408125552_thumb.jp

Social source share

It's a bit like if Ken Dodd had a record out about the Diddy Men but had the Salvadors backing track , that would be interesting but doubt if it would be played out ?

Especially if the record had 2 Dimples or Pimples in the Vinyl , (St.Helens or Warrington press ) think I'm waffling really  :lol:

Nice to have a few after a shite week  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

I see this has been issued again by FTM as the flip side to an extended mix of Hey Sah Lo-ney. I'm not so sure about the spoken word bits at the start and end of HSL but the mix sounds decent enough and IMHO you could definitely play it out at a soul night (perhaps fading the vocal intro and end). 

Social source share

On 15/08/2014 at 19:08, SWIFTY said:

It's a bit like if Ken Dodd had a record out about the Diddy Men but had the Salvadors backing track , that would be interesting but doubt if it would be played out ?

Especially if the record had 2 Dimples or Pimples in the Vinyl , (St.Helens or Warrington press ) think I'm waffling really  :lol:

Nice to have a few after a shite week  :thumbsup:

Swifty. Trust your well sir.  :hatsoff2: The ken dodd mix would be worth a fortune now :g:

I'm glad you left out Widnes when you referenced St Helens and Warrington  . We are truly original from my home town of Widnes not like those bootlegs from the other two places :P

Steve 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!