Sellers - Get A F*cking Grip

Godzilla

Im selling for my good friend Scal on here.

He's an imbecile.

Hence my involvement.

Before members start getting too worried I'd just point out that the £25 figure was suggested by Pete and is not site policy.

As Mike has said he's looking at it as an additional source of revenue to keep this site running well into the future.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Many reasons Nev.

The main one is them not wanting to get involved in the selling process and having to deal with all aspects of it, from simply cleaning the records, researching them, listing them, selling them, posting them and then dealing with the customer if not happy.  The process takes time if you're not used to doing it and many people don't have that time to spare, or want the hassle.  I take a lot of time doing this for people, I don't just get the records and slam them on a list, I have them for a couple of weeks making preparations before they get listed.  But it's a full time job for me,which I love, of course.

Also Pete, genuine trust worthy dealers as you and myself included will often achieve a little bit more for the seller due to experience and the large network/database of customers we have therefore my regular sellers actually achieve in many instances more and often an equal amount to what they could achieve selling them themselves without the hassle of doing it.

I sell many 45s for people where the 45 never hits the internet or an email list due to the fact I know where to take it in the first place and broker a deal that suits buyer and seller and that in essence is what makes you successful and able to earn a living, the fact that you bring your value and expertise as a dealer to the market that an occasional seller cant.

Thanks Darren

Edited by BROWNIE
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Also Pete, genuine trust worthy dealers as you and myself included will often achieve a little bit more for the seller due to experience and the large network/database of customers we have therefore my regular sellers actually achieve in many instances more and often an equal amount to what they could achieve selling them themselves without the hassle of doing it.

I sell many 45s for people where the 45 never hits the internet or an email list due to the fact I know where to take it in the first place and broker a deal that suits buyer and seller and that in essence is what makes you successful and able to earn a living, the fact that you bring your value and expertise as a dealer to the market that an occasional seller cant.

Thanks Darren

Darren does that mean your  price for the record will be higher than say Joe Bloggs selling it himself. If you cut out the middle man me & other collectors can get the record cheaper & the seller still gets what he wants.

Social source share

Darren does that mean your  price for the record will be higher than say Joe Bloggs selling it himself. If you cut out the middle man me & other collectors can get the record cheaper & the seller still gets what he wants.

Doesn't with me - I'll still undercut as many people as possible.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm still stuggling to understand why a collector would let someone else sell his records on forums ?

Either too busy or lazy to do em themselves ?

The info for any seller is out there now ,more than ever .

Just google a title and it throws up info on pricing ,without even having to know popsike or collectors frenzy or similar websites .

Not knocking what you do Pete,good luck with it and loing may it reign for you ,but if does baffle me .

P.s Tin hat at the ready lol

Pete's sold a few records for me in the past and exactly as he says, it's about avoiding all the hassle that goes with it. You read enough of the threads on here about people's bad experiences - buyer or seller - and you realise that as much as it sounds like some sort of dream job to be record dealer, the truth is anything but. Hats off to anyone who makes a living at it.

If I were selling up my meagre collection, Pete would probably be my first port of call. He has (as do others like him) the contacts, the reputation and the knowledge to ensure that I would get the best out of whatever might be in my boxes. And paying a cut as commission is a very small price to pay for saving yourself all the hassle that can go with every… single… one… of… those... 45s.

As for record sold on here specifically, while I've bought a few here and there - and had some great prices — I do think that with the exception of a few dealers, prices offered are high. Indeed, they're often at a premium. Ebay still works for me.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ok..... Having gone through the thread now I must say I'm still bemused why anyone would vote for sales charges on the site ? If it's about funding the site then personally I would happily pay a subscription for that purpose. I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever to people posting up crap and overpriced crap on here. It's just the way it is I'm afraid. As Jordi rightly pointed out earlier, those of us who are occasional sellers will end up not bothering with selling on here,( nearly always collectors looking to fund other purchases as Nev pointed out) . In my experience they often list the most interesting stuff sales wise. It's all so unnecessary as well isn't it ? Surely, if someone is such a terror and repeat offender then the moderators should just ban them from selling. Also, this extra sales section that gonna start: that's just gonna confuse things more isn't it ?

It it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.....

Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

No not all I'm referring to achieving the market price for the 45 ie by exposing it to the maximum amount of potential buyers or offering it to someone who I know has it on there wants list for the going rate. I see no point in over pricing records that are sent to me to sell.

Many customers do it to speed up the sales procedure in my experience rather than a cant be bothered attitude although not all.

Joe Bloggs wont be able to expose the record to as many people as myself or PS or any of the others with a strong mailing list.

More importantly dealers like myself offer flexible payment options individual sellers cant always offer as well as a credit or debit facility which means there audience is restricted to people who have the cash.

In addition I often find a lot of my time is spent actually curbing the expectations of the sellers and having them accept the current market value for said 45, if they don't accept I tell them to sell it themselves if they're being too ambitious. 

It is a tricky business to get it right all the time but the market dictates and I always accept offers on 45s that have been on my site for over a month.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

In addition I often find a lot of my time is spent actually curbing the expectations of the sellers and having them accept the current market value for said 45, if they don't accept I tell them to sell it themselves if they're being too ambitious. 

A very, very good point.  "Well JM sold one for £500 why've you only got it for £200"?  "Theres one on Popsike twice as much as you're asking" and so on...

Social source share

Ok..... Having gone through the thread now I must say I'm still bemused why anyone would vote for sales charges on the site ? If it's about funding the site then personally I would happily pay a subscription for that purpose. I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever to people posting up crap and overpriced crap on here. It's just the way it is I'm afraid. As Jordi rightly pointed out earlier, those of us who are occasional sellers will end up not bothering with selling on here,( nearly always collectors looking to fund other purchases as Nev pointed out) . In my experience they often list the most interesting stuff sales wise. It's all so unnecessary as well isn't it ? Surely, if someone is such a terror and repeat offender then the moderators should just ban them from selling. Also, this extra sales section that gonna start: that's just gonna confuse things more isn't it ?

It it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.....

Ivor

Ivor and others

as said before, there are no plans to change the sales forums

we are bringing in a select sales section for individual 45s

this will offer a more featured/improved sales feature that hopefully offer more for members both selling and buying

cheers

mike

Social source share

Doesn't with me - I'll still undercut as many people as possible.

When I put my house up for sale i wanted the best price, so I chose a estate agent, who told me it was worth X amount. They take 2% commission but obviously have premises,staff, advertising etc to pay for, so I decided to go with them.

It was during the recession and sales were hard, but as time went by they kept contacting me to keep dropping the price.. I didn't need to move so no pressure to sell... In the end I pulled the plug cos I felt they didn't work hard enough and failed on the promise of what they valued my house for to get my attention in the first place..

The point I'm making is, if your on commission,you can drop the price to get a sale and the loss befalls the owner not you.

Of course you get less by percentage, but it would have to be a four figure 45 to make that much difference.

So unless you are selling big ticket records and have a database of big spending customers, then your basically only listing stuff up on a forum, which is not hard for anyone with an ounce of knowledge, especially someone who has a collection of original vinyl 45's attained over a ten or dare I say 30 yr period.

If you can undercut most sellers on here and still get a good price for seller and make a living... The rest of us need your help :)

Social source share

When I put my house up for sale i wanted the best price, so I chose a estate agent, who told me it was worth X amount. They take 2% commission but obviously have premises,staff, advertising etc to pay for, so I decided to go with them.

It was during the recession and sales were hard, but as time went by they kept contacting me to keep dropping the price.. I didn't need to move so no pressure to sell... In the end I pulled the plug cos I felt they didn't work hard enough and failed on the promise of what they valued my house for to get my attention in the first place..

The point I'm making is, if your on commission,you can drop the price to get a sale and the loss befalls the owner not you.

Of course you get less by percentage, but it would have to be a four figure 45 to make that much difference.

So unless you are selling big ticket records and have a database of big spending customers, then your basically only listing stuff up on a forum, which is not hard for anyone with an ounce of knowledge, especially someone who has a collection of original vinyl 45's attained over a ten or dare I say 30 yr period.

If you can undercut most sellers on here and still get a good price for seller and make a living... The rest of us need your help :)

But I sell 90% of my stuff on my mailing list Nev.  And the owner of the record already knows what we have decided to do as far as prices go.  Take the lot I'm doing this week for instance.  He sent the records, I gave an estimate of lowest and highest prices per record, he couldn't believe it as many were double what he thought they were going to be.  

So he, having received £2700 in 5 days for a handful of records is very happy.  I only listed about 20 and sold 12 or so.  I am also happy with the 20% I received.

So you probably do need my help by the looks of it Nev, cos we're all happy at this end.

Social source share

But I sell 90% of my stuff on my mailing list Nev.  And the owner of the record already knows what we have decided to do as far as prices go.  Take the lot I'm doing this week for instance.  He sent the records, I gave an estimate of lowest and highest prices per record, he couldn't believe it as many were double what he thought they were going to be.  

So he, having received £2700 in 5 days for a handful of records is very happy.  I only listed about 20 and sold 12 or so.  I am also happy with the 20% I received.

So you probably do need my help by the looks of it Nev, cos we're all happy at this end.

Not bad then ..beats laying bricks Pete  :yes:

Social source share

Not bad then ..beats laying bricks Pete  :yes:

I once had a job standing at the end of a conveyer belt putting those tags onto bags of muesli to seal them, 8 hours of that with no radio or anything.  I think I've done worse jobs but can't remember any right now.  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Glad someone started this thread, makes me laugh how people make claims like "..seriously rare and hard to find" (from a current SS sale), when you can go on discogs and find multiple copies of the exact same record for less than $10!

I'd like to think it's sellers not doing their homework rather than them trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes -I mean it's not as if the forum is full of uneducated soulies is it?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ivor and others

as said before, there are no plans to change the sales forums

we are bringing in a select sales section for individual 45s

this will offer a more featured/improved sales feature that hopefully offer more for members both selling and buying

cheers

mike

Ok Mike.... Thanks for your reply. I had read your previous posts on the thread. I'm not trying to nitpick or anything you understand( I think you you guys that run this site do a splendid job anyway for no return whatsoever as far as I can see) but, regarding the sales section: there's nothing wrong at all with it. The provision to list individual items is already there..... I've listed single titles myself on numerous occasions and it works just fine as it is in my opinion. I don't understand what the big problem is. Most regulars on this forum will already be aware of sellers they don't really rate and it's simple, just ignore them if they are that bad.

Everyone just stay cool....

Ivor

Social source share

The problem is that some people are kind of disconnected regarding rarity of records.  Of course if you bought Chocolate Syrup on Brown Dog or whatever a while back & it's the only copy you've ever seen & you don't leave your house that much these days, then of course you're gonna think its rare (maybe you're computer illiterate to a certain extent too & refuse to research things before trying your luck on soul source) who knows.

I've also seen sites where having to pay to play doesn't fix this at all.  People pay for their advertising & still just list overpriced horseshit.  It's not about changing the site, it's kinda more about changing the people or changing a mindset (or dealing with mental illness/delusion) & that's pretty tough to do remotely through the internet.   :D

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

The problem is that some people are kind of disconnected regarding rarity of records. Of course if you bought Chocolate Syrup on Brown Dog or whatever a while back & it's the only copy you've ever seen & you don't leave your house that much these days, then of course you're gonna think its rare (maybe you're computer illiterate to a certain extent too & refuse to research things before trying your luck on soul source) who knows.

I've also seen sites where having to pay to play doesn't fix this at all. People pay for their advertising & still just list overpriced horseshit. It's not about changing the site, it's kinda more about changing the people or changing a mindset (or dealing with mental illness/delusion) & that's pretty tough to do remotely through the internet. :D

Kris, I totally agree with your points. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone who is guilty of these sort of things is gonna be changed. It's never been any different as far back as I can remember. Go to any Nighter or function in the land where there's sales boxes and you'll encounter overpriced, battered crap records being touted for sale alongside a smattering of decent pieces.The sales on here are just an extension of this widespread delusion from some on the scene. Also, this thing about sellers overpricing cheap stuff that's available elsewhere for a fraction of the price. It's never been any different. There's a "Scene" price and a price in the real world ! Like, if you were in the States and stumbled upon a copy of say Lil Major Williams in an old charity shop, you wouldn't expect to pay the same as if you had seen it for sale in a Dealers box at a Nighter would you ? Course not.

There's still plenty of decent records on here though. Pretty regularly as well. If I want to sell, I'll always try this forum first simply because most of the serious Soul buyers/collectors are on here.......

Ivor

Social source share

. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone who is guilty of these sort of things is gonna be changed. 

indeed. one of the records in question has been re listed for the 1000th time at 60 quid again today.  

even uses the word reductions in the title

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Glad someone started this thread, makes me laugh how people make claims like "..seriously rare and hard to find" (from a current SS sale), when you can go on discogs and find multiple copies of the exact same record for less than $10!

I'd like to think it's sellers not doing their homework rather than them trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes -I mean it's not as if the forum is full of uneducated soulies is it?

My thought when I started the thread was that there only two possible explanations for this behaviour: either the sellers genuinely have no idea how much records are worth or they are deliberately and cynically over-pricing their records in the hope that some inexperienced/gullible person falls for it. Neither are the type of person you'd have confidence buying from, clearly.

Also, I guess it's no surprise that there hasn't been an attempt to justify the practice by the guilty parties - who'd want to identify themselves with either of the above groups? :lol:

Social source share

My thought when I started the thread was that there only two possible explanations for this behaviour: either the sellers genuinely have no idea how much records are worth or they are deliberately and cynically over-pricing their records in the hope that some inexperienced/gullible person falls for it. Neither are the type of person you'd have confidence buying from, clearly.

Also, I guess it's no surprise that there hasn't been an attempt to justify the practice by the guilty parties - who'd want to identify themselves with either of the above groups? :lol:

they may well have mugged themselves off when buying. thats an option. another you probably wouldnt want to admit to.

Social source share

Judging by how many people try on the "buyer pays paypal 4% fee" I'm sure plenty would just try and add any proposed sales surcharge onto the cost of the records. Thereby making over-priced un-sellables even MORE over-priced and even MORE un-sellable.

I don't really have a problem with the current system. You see a record, you either like the price or you don't...

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Ha ha, there's one particular seller who lists on a regular basis who is ALWAYS double the price of anywhere else, and they keep listing the same records week after week.

Like you, I stopped looking at these listings a long time ago.

For me, and maybe not so much aimed at sales on here but aimed more at the FB groups I'm involved with. When a seller insists on overpricing week after week, I just ignore all future sales lists from that person. They lose out on any possible business from me and a lot of others.  I just scroll down to the next sale everytime!

Social source share

Made me chuckle , just saw it and thought about you :lol::thumbsup:

Me too :huh:

You're going to make yourself ill over that Chocolate Syrup 45

too much expensive chocolate syrup ingestion has been known to eventually induce vomitting

Right, that's it. I've completely let go. Thanks for your concern and support chaps :lol:

Now to post something in 'wants'... :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!