Bootleg The Origins ?

Guest sharmo 1

Guest sharmo 1

One of the main topics on here and other places such as events ect is the humble bootleg / pressing / re issue / look a like / emidisc / carver. I bet most collectors started with them and in truth probably still have some. I collect them as a sort of side line collecting interest but have always been open about it.  there are certain records such as johnny on the spot which for me just  is just ok and wouldn't want to spend any big dough on it , but I have a pressing on my shelf and probably played it once. so what were the early ones I have green light boots and out of the past ect , love them or hate them they are part of collecting circles and nothing makes some folks blood boil more than a boot and some folk don't see what the fuss is about as for some it's just a record , so when did the first one's emerge any story's ? I'm interested in some northern soul history here and not really venomous fury against the rights and wrongs of bootlegs as that's been covered loads of times , I'm hoping for something interesting especially from our older soul people , best regards , soon to be strung up by the balls Simon.

Social source share

Not Northern Soul, but, the first look-alike facsimile boots I can remember were made for the R&B vocal group harmony collectors in late 1959-1960.  They continued through the beginning of the 1980s.  An early set I remember is the Flamingos' three releases on Parrot Records, with everything looking perfect (colour, font, printing quality, record thickness, rounded lip, etc.  The only giveaways were the tightness of the grooves in the trail, and "Bronxville" (a district in New York", replacing the "Bronzeville"  (a SouthSide ghetto district in Chicago) in the exact same place with exact same font, on the label.  They were amazingly well made, and are now prized by collectors (I have them), as the 1953-54 originals are virtually impossible to obtain in any decent condition.

The oldest boots I've seen for The Northern Scene started appearing in the early 1970s (maybe 1973?).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Not Northern Soul, but, the first look-alike facsimile boots I can remember were made for the R&B vocal group harmony collectors in late 1959-1960.  They continued through the beginning of the 1980s.  An early set I remember is the Flamingos' three releases on Parrot Records, with everything looking perfect (colour, font, printing quality, record thickness, rounded lip, etc.  The only giveaways were the tightness of the grooves in the trail, and "Bronxville" (a district in New York", replacing the "Bronzeville"  (a SouthSide ghetto district in Chicago) in the exact same place with exact same font, on the label.  They wereamazingly well made, and are now prized by collectors (I have them), as the 1963-54 originals are virtually impossible to obtain in any decent condition.

The oldest boots I've seen for The Northern Scene started appearing in the early 1970s (maybe 1973?).

Thank you Rob.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Old friend of mine had some 10" 78rpm bootlegs that were made for American servicemen who were based here in WW2. Looked pretty good as well.

Thank you sir.

Social source share

I seem to remember that Simon Soussan started booting Soul records at Monarch in L.A. in 1973.  When did Martin Koppel move to Toronto?  Did any of his finds get booted in the early '70s? 

With Tamla-Motown in The UK releasing cuts especially for The Motown and NS Scenes, I guess there wasn't much of a reason to boot Motown cuts until The Frank Wilson was discovered.  Am  I right about that?  Or were there some late '60s and early '70s Motown boots in The UK?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I seem to remember that Simon Soussan started booting Soul records at monarch in L.A. in 1973.  When did Martin Koppel move to toronto.  Did any of his finds get booted in the early '70s? 

With Tamla-Motown in The UK releasing cuts especially for The Motown and NS Scenes, I guess there wasn't much of a reason to boot Motown cuts until The Frank Wilson was discovered.  Am  I right about that?  Or were there some late '60s and early '70s Motown boots in The UK?

Don't know what year these were printed (mid 7T's I'd have tought) but Erwin Starr 'there you go' b/w the Ones 'you haven't seen my love' on La Coupe (England pressed bootleg) is certainly an early or a first Motown boot made for some folks in England. 

Social source share

As with many things that are aspects of the rare soul scene there is a president from the sound system scene in 50's/60's Jamaica. It is said that having found a dancefloor hit, Coxsone, having hammered it to death, would press up some copies for the lesser sound systems who would happily pay over the odds for a downbeat 'exclusive'. Sound familiar at all chaps?

dean

Social source share

Earliest northern bootlegs I know of where when the UK Soul Sounds label booted biggies at the wheel. So late 1960's. 

There's a topic on here from 2006

Simon T, on Jun 3 2006, 12:21 AM, said:
When does this date from?

Soul sounds were Bootlegged by the notorious Jeff King of Leicester.

I always thought that the BJD titles were also done by King... probably prior to the Soul Sounds things (but I may be mistaken). The same source also did the Green Light stuff, I believe.

There were 30 Soul Sounds bootlegs ... and I've got them all except Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson that have eluded me (Help me out someone!).

Quite a label if you ask me:-

01 LEON HAYWOOD. BABY RECONCIDER. 
02 DONALD HEIGHT. TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE. 
03 JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING. READY WILLING AND ABLE. 
04 SHIRLEY ELLIS. SOUL TIME. 
05 HUMAN BEINZ. NOBODY BUT ME. 
06 TAMMI LYNN. I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU. 
07 GENE CHANDLER. THERE WAS A TIME. 
08 ROUND ROBIN. KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT SALLY ANN. 
09 INVITATIONS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY. 
10 EARL HARRISON. HUMPHREY STOMP. 
11 ALEXANDER PATTON. A LIL' LOVIN SOMETIMES. 
12 CHUCK JACKSON. CHAINS OF LOVE. 
13 DEAN PARRISH. DETERMINATION. 
14 PEACHES AND HERB. WE'RE IN THIS THING TOGETHER. 
15 MARY LOVE. YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET. 
16 BARBARA LEWIS. SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN. 
17 MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS. BREAK OUT. 
18 BLENDELLS. DANCE WITH ME. 
19 SOUL SISTERS. GOOD TIME TONIGHT. 
20 DEAN PARRISH. TELL HER. 
21 LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS. GONNA FIX YOU GOOD. 
22 CHUBBY CHECKER. (AT THE) DISCOTEQUE. 
23 THE SHARPEES. TIRED OF BEING LONELY.
24 ROSCOE ROBINSON. THAT'S ENOUGH. 
25 INCREDIBLES. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY. 
26 HOMER BANKS. HOOKED BY LOVE. 
27 MARGIE HENDRIX. RESTLESS. 
28 BOBBY SHEEN. DR. LOVE. 
29 RONNIE MILSAP. AIN'T NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES). 
30 DOBIE GRAY. OUT ON THE FLOOR.

A repertoire that any label would envy, dont you agree, were it not for the fact that they were not legit!

However, Mr King got his just desserts and was locked up for the practice.

Curious how these days the BPI appear to be less concerned...

Keith Minshull (allegedly) supplied most of the originals.

Part of our N.Soul History I guess (along with OOTP and... whats that other crowd called that seem to be doing alright at it?)

Sean Hampsey 
Edited by Sean Hampsey, 03 June 2006 - 12:44 AM.
Edited by jim g
Social source share

Walked into a shop in Tokyo today...they had the following recent "re-pros" on the shelf complete with duplicate looking labels:

Ray Agee - I'm Losing Again

Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe

Charles Sheffiled - It's Your Voodoo

Hayes Cotton - Black Wings

...not vintage...but same question...what/who is the origin...at less than £10 each as well.

:dash2:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Walked into a shop in Tokyo today...they had the following recent "re-pros" on the shelf complete with duplicate looking labels:

Ray Agee - I'm Losing Again

Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe

Charles Sheffiled - It's Your Voodoo

Hayes Cotton - Black Wings

...not vintage...but same question...what/who is the origin...at less than £10 each as well.

:dash2:

They go all over the world as you say not vintage pressings , I think the Otis Lee's and Hayes Cotton are from a chap in London and may be close to being legit , the Charles Sheffield has been done at least twice and the Ray Agee is one that emerged over the last year . You'll find a lot of the new pressings are R-n-B tracks as the bootleggers can take advantage of the pre 1962/3 ? copyright loophole , I don't know how that works but it's almost bullet proof to do without being prosecuted . Thank you for your input . Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

what about the soul sounds pressings..thought they we done around 1970

hi Dave they must have been some of the first soul bootlegs to hit the scene. Thank you .

Social source share

I read a book which mentions jazz collectors getting fake labels made in the 30s and 40s and glueing them onto totally worthless records and flogging them off. At least the Northern scene never sank that low...as far as I know.

I dunno that " Spark - Northern Soul" label, probably did the same thing.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Don't know what year these were printed (mid 7T's I'd have tought) but Erwin Starr 'there you go' b/w the Ones 'you haven't seen my love' on La Coupe (England pressed bootleg) is certainly an early or a first Motown boot made for some folks in England.

The Edwin Starr title is definitely"Running Back And Forth" not "There You Go"..... I also think they are from early to mid 80s. I think there are about 4 different releases on La Coupe.

Hope this helps,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Earliest northern bootlegs I know of where when the UK Soul Sounds label booted biggies at the wheel. So late 1960's. 

I always thought that the BJD titles were also done by King... probably prior to the Soul Sounds things (but I may be mistaken). The same source also did the Green Light stuff, I believe.

There were 30 Soul Sounds bootlegs ... and I've got them all except Human Beinz - Tami Lynn & Roscoe Robinson that have eluded me (Help me out someone!).

A repertoire that any label would envy, dont you agree, were it not for the fact that they were not legit!

Part of our N.Soul History I guess (along with OOTP and... whats that other crowd called that seem to be doing alright at it?)

Sean Hampsey 

I always thought Keith was behind the Out Of The Past bootlegs , along with , allegedly Otis Leavill and Blues and Soul mag ? If I'm I'm wrong , then I'm happy to be enlightened , but that is what I was told ....

Social source share

As with many things that are aspects of the rare soul scene there is a president from the sound system scene in 50's/60's Jamaica. It is said that having found a dancefloor hit, Coxsone, having hammered it to death, would press up some copies for the lesser sound systems who would happily pay over the odds for a downbeat 'exclusive'. Sound familiar at all chaps?

dean

nothing at all to do with boots
Social source share

The Edwin Starr title is definitely"Running Back And Forth" not "There You Go"..... I also think they are from early to mid 80s. I think there are about 4 different releases on La Coupe.

Hope this helps,

Best, Ivor

'running' not 'there U' right. Me going too fast and now corrected. Cheers 4 dat. I got a copy of this about 1985 (now its gone) in Brussels from an ex-mod who used to buy some northern soul in London but who wouldn't buy "northern soul" records anywhere after 1982 as it was considered "casual" music; like not hip as in "hipster" anymore. So pre-1982 and beyond. I was not around then or before, so can't say more precise. But like the British Green light bootleg label that is rather old, I'd have thought that the La Coupe bootleg label was rather old also. Even if it's more 7T's + orientated music wise and date wise; Bros. guiding, Aristocrats...

Social source share

Got rid of all my boots/ re-issues about 6-7 years ago to a local charity shop, now i see some of them going for a few quid on ebay. Maybe i should have held on a bit.

Social source share

I seem to remember that Simon Soussan started booting Soul records at Monarch in L.A. in 1973.  When did Martin Koppel move to Toronto?  Did any of his finds get booted in the early '70s? 

P.J. "TLC" on Tamla is the only one I can think off the top of my head - though I would be surprised if it was the only one. Bootlegged about '74, came from Selectadisc so Mr Soussan is probably in the frame for this one. 

Social source share

As far as I am aware the early run of vocal group 45's were issued by Mike Rashio and most importantly Henry Mariano, these were the first 'good quality' repro 45's to be run in quantity. The Mariano issue's can be identified by the issue date in the run-off, Mariano recognised back then that these may at some time be passed off as originals so added the detail to avoid that possibility. Henry visited me in the 80's in London and stayed for a while, he was a nice guy and at one time a huge collector of group 45's and he had a real 'thing' for coloured vinyl originals. I also visited him and his brother Art in San Francisco in the late 80's and bought many original and repro 45's from him. One of the reasons the early repro's are such great quality in this genre is that as Robbk has already pointed out, many of these were pressed in the 60's and early 70's before computers had entered the equation as far as pressing and printing are concerned, that is to say they were still basically using exactly the same methods to press the records as the originals they were attempting to replicate. I remember Henry showing me the label paper he used that he had bought from an old pressing plant when it shut down, that's why his labels are so good. It's very difficult and expensive to get that same quality paper these days and to find modern day printers with the understanding and care to get the labels right. I bought many of these 45's as a kid, when I was 14 or 15 (late 70's) it was the only way I could by them as my saturday job wages were'nt that great and also to find an original copy of those 45's even in those days would have cost lots of $'s and those type of original 45's were just not for sale in this country at that time. Bootlegs? I love 'em, if it wasn't for those early issues this little kid would never have heard the Moonglows on Chance, Swallows on King the mighty 'Ladise' by the Packards and the original version of Stormy Weather by the Five Sharps on Jubilee ($20,000.00 for an original 78?) plus Tony and Jackie Lamie - You Wore Me To A Frazzle/ Sunset Blues (which blew my head off!) and Don Willis - Boppin' High Scholl Baby on Sattelite, oh those halcyon days!!. I have originals of many of the R'n'B 45's now and still collect avidly and it doesn't matter how many times people re-issue the records my original copies will always be originals so who cares. If you can afford to buy original 45's then that's great and lucky you, if you can't then the reproduction 45's are the next best thing, it's no big deal. If it wasn't for those early repro's I would never have had the access to those great sounds in those early days. Thanks Henry!

Social source share

As far as I am aware the early run of vocal group 45's were issued by Mike Rashio and most importantly Henry Mariano, these were the first 'good quality' repro 45's to be run in quantity. The Mariano issue's can be identified by the issue date in the run-off, Mariano recognised back then that these may at some time be passed off as originals so added the detail to avoid that possibility. Henry visited me in the 80's in London and stayed for a while, he was a nice guy and at one time a huge collector of group 45's and he had a real 'thing' for coloured vinyl originals. I also visited him and his brother Art in San Francisco in the late 80's and bought many original and repro 45's from him. One of the reasons the early repro's are such great quality in this genre is that as Robbk has already pointed out, many of these were pressed in the 60's and early 70's before computers had entered the equation as far as pressing and printing are concerned, that is to say they were still basically using exactly the same methods to press the records as the originals they were attempting to replicate. I remember Henry showing me the label paper he used that he had bought from an old pressing plant when it shut down, that's why his labels are so good. It's very difficult and expensive to get that same quality paper these days and to find modern day printers with the understanding and care to get the labels right. I bought many of these 45's as a kid, when I was 14 or 15 (late 70's) it was the only way I could by them as my saturday job wages were'nt that great and also to find an original copy of those 45's even in those days would have cost lots of $'s and those type of original 45's were just not for sale in this country at that time. Bootlegs? I love 'em, if it wasn't for those early issues this little kid would never have heard the Moonglows on Chance, Swallows on King the mighty 'Ladise' by the Packards and the original version of Stormy Weather by the Five Sharps on Jubilee ($20,000.00 for an original 78?) plus Tony and Jackie Lamie - You Wore Me To A Frazzle/ Sunset Blues (which blew my head off!) and Don Willis - Boppin' High Scholl Baby on Sattelite, oh those halcyon days!!. I have originals of many of the R'n'B 45's now and still collect avidly and it doesn't matter how many times people re-issue the records my original copies will always be originals so who cares. If you can afford to buy original 45's then that's great and lucky you, if you can't then the reproduction 45's are the next best thing, it's no big deal. If it wasn't for those early repro's I would never have had the access to those great sounds in those early days. Thanks Henry!

I used to live in Shoreview in San Mateo for 3 years (only a couple blocks (streets) from Art and Henry.  I knew them pretty well.  We used to swap duplicates.  I collected R&B before Soul ever existed.  I have a few of Henry's facsimile repros.  They were great for people who didn't have thousands to spend on single records.

Social source share

Wasn't the plain yellow label Philly Dog by the Dynatones (off the album) meant to have been the first pressing for the Northern Soul market.

Dx

In 1969 I had Hole In The Wall/Hold On I'm Coming pressed onto a single of the album along with Jackie Wilson   Somebody Up There Like You /You Can Count On Me .The main reason was I didn't want to carry LPs to DJ with and a few friends wanted copies or else I would have had just had an EMI disc cut for myself.

I had 20 copies of each with white label, that was the minimum that I could manage to get sold them for £1 each .

Edited by bri phill
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hope this helps,

Best, Ivor

I think there's a Judy Clay thing on there but it's a deep soul record.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Got rid of all my boots/ re-issues about 6-7 years ago to a local charity shop, now i see some of them going for a few quid on ebay. Maybe i should have held on a bit.

Where abouts was the charity shop ? :D

Social source share

Sean Hampsey 

Whilst the Soul Sounds were bootlegs...the 'market' was definitely not flooded with them....I remember hearing Leon Hayward at a house party circa 1970...thi lad had bought one the previous week from the Wheel...and viewed it as a treasure find..........and said he'd been chasing one for months....the original vinyl thing wasn't on the radar back much back then.............and this stupidly rare record could be heard on Soul Sounds.....seemed ok at the time :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In 1969 I had Hole In The Wall/Hold On I'm Coming pressed onto a single of the album along with Jackie Wilson   Somebody Up There Like You /You Can Count On Me .The main reason was I didn't want to carry LPs to DJ with and a few friends wanted copies or else I would have had just had an EMI disc cut for myself.

I had 20 copies of each with white label, that was the minimum that I could manage to get sold them for £1 each .

Couldn't remember which one it was and out of politeness didn't name you.

Dx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I did that and was most interested to see that they turned up in a local DJs playbox a bit later!

Social source share

Me too. They all went to Malcolm's shop in Willenhall in the Midlands. The shop shut down a few years ago but I've still got a bloody credit note for all my boots and pressings. I only got rid of them to make room for my first born's cot in his bedroom. Who'd have known they would go for money on Ebay?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!