Simon Soussain

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

who was this man, what did he do ? ive read bits about him but dont know much,when was the last time anyone heard of him ?etc,

He was a genius. he consistantly spelled his name wrong and he invented Northern Soul and then improved it with synthesisers. He then improved disco and even Russ Winstanly couldn't do that.

This is the truth. Ignore all the other replies to this post. They will be the ramblingings of jealous fools.

Godz

Social source share

He was a genius. he consistantly spelled his name wrong and he invented Northern Soul and then improved it with synthesisers. He then improved disco and even Russ Winstanly couldn't do that.

This is the truth. Ignore all the other replies to this post. They will be the ramblingings of jealous fools.

Godz

:thumbsup::yes::D

Social source share

Godz

:yes:

Oh my, Godz has been possessed by Simon Soussan :D

:thumbsup:

Social source share

yeah but, whats it all about ?

Simon Soussan, was responsible for creating "tailor-made' northern soul sounds, as well as making acetates of unknown soul 45's BUT creating "fake" group names to retain exclusivity.

Soussan also got the rights to the Mirwood catalogue and Sydney Barnes/J.J. Jackson's songwriting catalogue, so he took it upon himself to "rewrite" Northern soul obscurities, and making them into disco hits! "Stronger Than Her Love" by the Flirtations became "Love and Desire" by Arpeggio (with Sydney Barnes). "My Dear Heart" by Shawn Robinson turned into "After Dark"by Patti Brooks.. He had the last laugh when some of his background singers cut a disco medley ("Uptown Festival") under the name Shalamar, and it became a big hit. I think he got most of the money made off of all of Shalamar's hits.

https://bomplist.xnet2.com/0104/msg01366.html

Social source share

He also, loaned a bunch of records of his mates here the week before he shot off to states. The records went with him, never to return, but a whole load of pressing of said records did come back to the UK a few months late. He also amassed one the greatest soul 45 collection of all time in the states, which also came to the UK for sale through Colin Bee.

Another one of those people that has made the whole scene, the interesting, myth and legend thing it is today :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tell me about Simon Soussan.

Simon Soussan had a scam. He put a record list out. Bob Relf had this huge record, Blow My Mind to Pieces. And he put this list out: 'Bob Relf Reaching For The Best - even better than Blow My Mind To Pieces. Only one copy. £35.' At the bottom of the list it said, 'You must state alternatives because there are no refunds if your first choice is not available.' So everybody wanted the Bob Relf record. But it didn't exist. He made the title up. It was a scam just to get people to send the money in and he'd give them any old rubbish he had. So I thought f*** you, and I called my first record Reaching For The Best by the Exciters.

He damaged the scene and people have still not forgotten him after 25 years. He's still a figure of contempt. But he did discover a lot of great records. He went on to become a successful disco producer. He re-wrote northern soul songs: Love And Desire by Arpeggio was Stronger Than Her Love by the Flirtations. Isn't that what M People did with One Night In Heaven though?

Yeah, Linda Carr Highwire. That's exactly what happened, yes. Patti Brooks After Dark [on Thank God It's Friday soundtrack] is My Dear Heart by Shaun Robinson. Soussan is a real character.

This is what Ian Levine had to say about him!!! :D:thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

A few years ago when Ian Levine was running the brilliant Adavanced Northern Soul list, I made some comment about a certain track being Simon Soussan's handiwork and I actually got an email from the man himself telling me the true story. Wish I'd kept it. So he is still around.

Social source share

A few years ago when Ian Levine was running the brilliant Adavanced Northern Soul list, I made some comment about a certain track being Simon Soussan's handiwork and I actually got an email from the man himself telling me the true story. Wish I'd kept it. So he is still around.

He was also the guy who got 'Do I Love You' Frank Wilson out of the Motown vaults!

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

He was also the guy who got 'Do I Love You' Frank Wilson out of the Motown vaults!

Cheers

Paddy

Didn't he " borrow" that from Tom DePierro, Motown collector and historian, and then sold it on. I'm sure thats the true story. He never found it himself. Think Tom told Ian Clark that story.

He damaged the scene and people have still not forgotten him after 25 years. He's still a figure of contempt. But he did discover a lot of great records. He went on to become a successful disco producer.

This is what Ian Levine had to say about him!!! :yes::thumbsup::D

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Didn't he " borrow" that from Tom DePierro, Motown collector and historian, and then sold it on. I'm sure thats the true story. He never found it himself. Think Tom told Ian Clark that story.

He damaged the scene and people have still not forgotten him after 25 years. He's still a figure of contempt. But he did discover a lot of great records. He went on to become a successful disco producer.

This is what Ian Levine had to say about him!!! :D:thumbsup::yes:

About SS or himself ? :D

Hi Steve

Yes that could well be the story, heard so many differrent tales about how he came to get his hands on the Frank Wilson record!! :D

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Long before he got involved with the 'Mirwood' recordings, Simon was the mastermind behind SCORES of early boots which came into the UK in the early 70's and were shipped out through SELECTADISC in Nottingham.

I've still got several of his early lists with some mouthwatering stuff on there.

He had strong connections Stateside and was able to locate originals and pirate quantities in 'counterfeit style' - to replicate the original labels.

Of course, prior to Simon, Boots were output on anything but 'repro' labels on the UK Soul scene, but at least with 'Soul Sounds / BJD / Green Light etc people at least knew what they were buying.

30+ years on, many an eBayer has made a killing from a Simon lookalike repro!

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!