Ian Levine

Guest Johnny One Trout

Get well soon Ian, I know you didn't really want to let this out for all to see but from what I can see here it's nice to read all the positive comments.

Love and kisses 

John & Your Empress x

Social source share

This is like a family member we have lost contact with over a silly argument, and we need to make up  with them before its too late, in fact he is a senior member of the Northern Soul family and all in all I know he has our respect and best wishes, he brought us pleasure in the music he discovered which is immeasurable and the music he made. A true legend for me......Get Well soon Ian ........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Dear Ian, I know I sent a message via FB to you, but nevertheless I echo the sentiments on Soul Source. Get well soon and hope to see you at the Hammersmith event if you can make it.

Social source share

Get well soon Ian, hope you pull through and make a full recovery. I echo what both Spot and Arthur (Fenn) said. The best parts of my life were spent in the Highland room. Venue number 1 for me thanks to  you and Colin and the sounds you discovered and played.       Stupot, Snaith, E Yorks            

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

be it a long road to recovery or not, i have total faith in you overcoming this hurdle ian, god bless you for being who you are, and what you mean to the scene, make a strong and swift recovery.

sincere regards, rob

Best wishes to one of the early pioneers of the scene!  Get your self well and see you soon.

(Farmer) Carl Dene 

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Was too young for the Mecca..but those records are my collection. Thanks for finding them.

You are a legend.  Best wishes. Get well soon.

LEVINE MUST STAY!

Social source share

A speedy recovery Ian, those nights at the Highland room will never be forgotten, it was part of my history and the process of my learning to love the music and the scene. The records that you introduced to the scene will always be legendary and will live on forever.

From a fan and a someone with a great deal of respect for your work and input to the Northern Soul scene.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Actually I've been meaning to go visit him but I've been pretty submerged over the last few weeks. One of my labels is the Disco Recharge imprint which releases classy Disco/Hi-Nrg compilations and we've recently been repackaging and remastering much of Ian's back-catalog from Evelyn Thomas, Miquel Brown, James Wells and Barbara Pennington which are all selling very nicely for niche market releases. Here's most of 'em to date:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=disco+recharge&sprefix=disco+recharge%2Cpopular%2C134

However, we're about to release two specific Ian Levine compilations which have been compiled by Simon White and which are both getting some great reaction and doing very nicely in the Amazon rankings:-

24 Hours A Day - Ian Levine - The Disco Years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DISCO-RECHARGE-HOURS-LEVINE-YEARS/dp/B00JYDGIYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1410883249&sr=1-1&keywords=disco+recharge

Beating Faster - Ian Levine - The Hi-Nrg Years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DISCO-RECHARGE-BEATING-FASTER-LEVINE/dp/B00JYDGJ0E/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1410883249&sr=1-2&keywords=disco+recharge

Both albums are currently both in the Top 10 Funk and Top 20 Disco Amazon charts which are the most lively positions he's seen for a few years I reckon. So I'm just waiting to get the finished copies in my hand and THEN I'll go see him! I'm pretty sure that will cheer him up some! 

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Ian, another two here wishing you all the best. Don't think you'll remember us but you might remember buying Deep Blue Train on UK Verve from me at Sale Mecca '73- '74 ish .  Rich and Gill Hillel.   PS  Our mutual friend Tony Davidson (not on SS) also wishes you the best for a speedy recovery.

Social source share

Ian, another two here wishing you all the best. Don't think you'll remember us but you might remember buying Deep Blue Train on UK Verve from me at Sale Mecca '73- '74 ish .  Rich and Gill Hillel.   PS  Our mutual friend Tony Davidson (not on SS) also wishes you the best for a speedy recovery.

I remember that period really well and can remember Ian breaking that tune first. No one could believe there was a new discovery on UK Verve. Well done you guys for finding that. Took me years to find one and by then no one was interested. I think the only place it was ever played was via Ian's gigs at the time. I miss these bold, brassy UK Northern releases. The UK production teams in the 60s were quite often better than their US counterparts at the time in my opinion.

'Deep Blue Train' is s real weird one. Props for finding it. Proper digging. :)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just seen this so apologies for a late reply.

Just want to wish you the best for a full and speedy recovery.  My mum had a stroke some years ago so I've seen the difficulties it can cause and wouldn't wish it on anyone.  She made a good recovery over time, so I'm hoping the same can happen for you.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Best of luck,

Nick Brown.

Social source share

........hehe...you ain't popped it yet then mate?!x Been around the Med and some Arab lands since I read this thread.....and was inspired to think of you twice en route....straight up!x 1 guy who is a 'MC' who sung on some of our tunes and huuuge around the Med mentioned your influence.....as did a Music Producer/writer who brought your name up too! I was wearing me Northern styled T Shirt which prompted those 2 sole responses directed at me as a consequence of wearing it! Only time I wore it and that was the 'chat'!!! Cred indeed Ian.........Northern Soul....Ian Levine.......legendary stuff!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

I bought mine mate.....you earnt yours.....X

nurse.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Well Ian Levine is back after his major stroke with a brand new podcast.

After nearly four months in hospital, his determination to do an all new three hour Podcast is quite amazing, and a surprising testament to his strength of will.

After all he's been through, I hope you will all listen to it with an open mind and give it a chance. All the best Ian.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ianlevine35/solid-soul-sensations-ian-levines-twenty-second-northern-soul-podcast/

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

Just read "Northern Soul - An Illustrated History" by Elaine Constantine and Gareth Sweeney.

Clear highlights for me include the interview snippets with Ian, how he hunted down and discovered so many unknown records in America, and then "broke" them back on the dancefloors of the UK, creating many a "monster" in the process.

The 4000 looted records in one trip - what a catch!!

Also, of course interesting with the whole "Modern" aspect of things.

Myself being a lover of all (well, at least most) styles of soul, I can appreciate that. Must have been really revolutionary back in the first half of the 70´s...

Despite all the critique directed at him - for me at least, he remains an inspiration when it comes to record collecting and DJ:ing.

Ian Levine, stay strong!!

Social source share

Just read "Northern Soul - An Illustrated History" by Elaine Constantine and Gareth Sweeney.

Clear highlights for me include the interview snippets with Ian, how he hunted down and discovered so many unknown records in America, and then "broke" them back on the dancefloors of the UK, creating many a "monster" in the process.

The 4000 looted records in one trip - what a catch!!

Also, of course interesting with the whole "Modern" aspect of things.

Myself being a lover of all (well, at least most) styles of soul, I can appreciate that. Must have been really revolutionary back in the first half of the 70´s...

Despite all the critique directed at him - for me at least, he remains an inspiration when it comes to record collecting and DJ:ing.

Ian Levine, stay strong!!

Well said. Ian Levine has always been the guvnor, often imitated never equalled.  

Great to see him back. Love and best wishes from Chris Frost

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!