Ian Levine

Just got around to listening to Ian's latest podcast and to all soulies out there, forget the politics and your prejudices and give it a play - you will not be disappointed. Of course, do not expect a rehashing of "The Northern Soul Top 500" you can listen to that stuff anywhere. What Ian brings to the party is his insightful view of a musical genre that we never tire of exploring. From the outrageous R&B bust out from Jon Thomas with his original version (one I had never heard before) of Little Willie John's - Heartbreak (it's hurting me) through the 60's finger snappers of Ramona King and Jack & Jill to the on fours stomping of George & Gwen on through the 70's with the sublime Delilah Moore and up to the present day with Lack Of Afro and Mayer Hawthorne. 3 hours plus of fabulous music with something for everyone. Ian has never been afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve and it was as emotional listening to this as it was for Ian in creating it. Personal highlights for me are always the records that I have never heard before and the Betty Wright and Olivia Carmichael tunes were a revelation. Surprise for me was The Okaysions - Little Miss Flirt - which is track that I have been playing for years from the groups  ABC 33rpm jukebox E.P. but I never knew there was a different version on a 45. I have posted the ABC version on youtube as part of one of my DJ spots if anyone wants to give it a blast.

Link to Ian's podcast - https://www.mixcloud.com/ianlevine35/solid-soul-sensations-ian-levines-twenty-second-northern-soul-podcast/

Link to Frosties DJ spot -

Social source share

If you do know Ian, his single mindedness and determination will ensure that he'll make every effort, and more, to make a recovery. Pity the doctors & nurses though !

Well said: single mindedness and determination will be two of the key tools in recovery.  For sure Ian has always displayed both in spades!

I'm currently involved in helping my friend through a stroke which occurred almost a year ago. I meet up and take him out 2-3 times a week. Staying motivated and having and maintaining interests seems to be of paramount importance.

It's great to see everyone put politics aside. I'd like to send by very best wishes to Ian, Keep the faith in recovery.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ian

Hope you are soon on the mend.

Never went to Wigan/Mecca  (down to money/logistics etc)but your name was a constant in Blues & Soul in the early 70's.

Pete

Hey Pete.

Shame you never got to The Mecca/Highland Room.

Was privileged to have gone from early '74 thru to '76. Best period IMHO!

Telling you mate. That place crackled with atmosphere and anticipation cos of all the new discoveries Ian & Colin played you never knew what was coming next. And for every new one dropped in there was another to follow you just couldn't keep up with 'em. 

Many still highly coveted and rare after all these years and still full of class.

Ian resided over that room like he was king of the castle.....and at that moment in time he was!

Ian's play-outs were the biggest influence on my musical direction at that time......tho' I'd question his later productions!!!

Cheers!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!