Jackie Wilson

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

As i am a big fan of Jackie Wilson i wondered if people would share what there fav Northern soul songs were by him or if you have a list of them. As i keep seeing more and more yet i have the Uptown and Up North cd (sadly Higher and Higher not on it). My fav's are Open The Door To Your Heart, Because of You, Higher and Higher and I Get The Sweetest Feeling

Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As i am a big fan of Jackie Wilson i wondered if people would share what there fav Northern soul songs were by him or if you have a list of them. As i keep seeing more and more yet i have the Uptown and Up North cd (sadly Higher and Higher not on it). My fav's are Open The Door To Your Heart, Because of You, Higher and Higher and I Get The Sweetest Feeling

Well, my favourite song by him (northern or not) at the moment at least is "You Brought About A Change In Me" :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have some fab tunes on my webby for Mr Wilson... including some rare ones and that one with the great swear words in it LOL. On the music page use the drop down box and search for files/folder then chuck Jackie Wilson in the text field. It'll bring up all the stuff I have there.

Social source share

Guest LadyofSoul

Predictable I know.........Because of you

Always sounds new ........always fills the dance floor........shows off his unique voice

Social source share

Well, my favourite song by him (northern or not) at the moment at least is "You Brought About A Change In Me" whistling.gif

Always loved this . First heard it on a tape someone did for me who went down the wheel. Finally got a copy in 76.

Absolute class, as is I've Lost You. Having said that, Because of you takes some beating!

Social source share

Just a reminder, Jackie Wikson's extensive Northern discography is featured/reviewed in the first issue of There's That Beat! It includes his catalogue of LP tracks too, some of which seem to have slipped under most people's radars. Out on 20th August. You can check it out at:

www.theresthatbeat.com

Regards,

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

'since you showed me how to be happy' - amazing hands-in-the-air soul imo.

i've lost you. woah yeah.

higher and higher, obvious but still stomping. will always be nostalgic for me as one of the first five soul tracks i ever truly loved and got me into it all - the others were 'where did our love go' supremes', 'like one' jean carter, epitome of sound 'you don't love me' and johnny bristol 'love no longer has a hold on me'.

i actually got into soul as a 14/15 yr old through a mate of mine's mum, who had the supremes on a cassette singing 'where did our love go'. this was the early 80's and a lot of us were mods at school, and discovering northern soul, and i clearly remember there becoming a schism betweeen those that liked the soul and those that didn't.

i was a scooterboy after that, but haven't had a scooter since 1993, when a taxi put paid to a vespa i'd spent 3 years rebuilding, and was on the road for 10 days before being wiped out by a taxi driver. slightly gutted, but got well compensated!

sorry what was the question unsure.gif

jackie wilson. genuine soul supertsar.

Social source share

'I dont want to lose you now', has grown on me. 'Soul galore' is up there, but without a shadow of a doubt the most powerful Northern Soul track has to be the 'who who song'.

'Just be sincere to me' is my fave soul record, but as others have wrote there must be a couple of dozen tracks that tick all the boxes.

Tragic end for the poor fella, I would have loved to see him live. Any DVDs out with his soul output on?

Ed

Social source share

Guest Northern Nige

As for my fav's

I dont want to lose you

Just be sincere

Im the one to do it (although Lavern Baker's version is ever so slightly better) unsure.gif

Social source share

whispers getting louder for me. not obscure (not much of jw that is i suppose) but utterly brilliant.

I read on a cd cover that he wrote this regarding he's addiction to drink and drugs... when you listen to it you automatically think he's talking about a woman... but I'm sure he never mentions a woman... unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I read on a cd cover that he wrote this regarding he's addiction to drink and drugs... when you listen to it you automatically think he's talking about a woman... but I'm sure he never mentions a woman... :wicked:

...ah, but he didn't write "Whispers" - Barbara Acklin did, with David Scott of (I think) the C.O.D.'s

BTW she was apparently the "Peaches" to whom JW refers in the middle 8 - it was her nickname around the Brunswick office (where she was employed originally as the receptionist). Jackie threw it in there ad lib and Barbara was tickled pink.

As far as I know JW never wrote any of the songs he performed from 1966 onwards. His name's on a few of the earlier things, but I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't just added on in case there was any songwriter income to be had - a fairly standard practice in the 50s and 60s...

TONE thumbsup.gif

Social source share

'My heart is calling' off the 'Whispers' LP. There's a great beater on the LP too - 'To make a big man cry' :)

Edited by Rich
Social source share

...ah, but he didn't write "Whispers" - Barbara Acklin did, with David Scott of (I think) the C.O.D.'s

BTW she was apparently the "Peaches" to whom JW refers in the middle 8 - it was her nickname around the Brunswick office (where she was employed originally as the receptionist). Jackie threw it in there ad lib and Barbara was tickled pink.

As far as I know JW never wrote any of the songs he performed from 1966 onwards. His name's on a few of the earlier things, but I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't just added on in case there was any songwriter income to be had - a fairly standard practice in the 50s and 60s...

TONE :(

See you should never trust any thing you read :)

Sorry should have said on cheap cd's

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Nothing but blue skies

Still get the goose bumps with this one.

Social source share

recently liking 'Its all over' nice track by Jackie, with a backing track similar to barbara acklin's am i the same girl...

:)

I was hoping someone would mention this tune. Great tune.

I'm quite fond of "Helpless" these days, but it may be too funky for most folks.

Social source share

Hiya , Jackie Wilson recorded loads of non-soul tunes as you are aware...give a listen to his rendition of " DANNY BOY" not soul but soulfully sung.ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Not sure of my favourite Jackie track, but 'Satisfy my soul' off the 'Nobody but you' LP is always one I think should have had some northern palys over the years. Can't remember ever hearing it anywhere though.

Jackie is wearing a great all in one dog tooth outfit on the cover as well :wicked: Makes your eyes go funny just looking at it!! :lol:

As for 'Because of You', PLEASE stop playing this record. I used to love it, but it drives me fekkin' crazy now. Probably the most overplayed record of the last 3 years. Somebody stop it PLEASE!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Big fan of all of the above.

Always loved Jackie.

Worth a mention though, as a 'Bubbling Crossover' track, is the blinding "What A Lovely Way" from 1972....... and (although not a 'Northern' track) on a Jackie Wilson thread I've just got to plug "Just As Soon As The Feeling Is Over" as its one of the top 10 records ever made by any artist... ever! (even wups Margie Joseph & the Sam Dees 'original' (previously unreleased) version.

Simply outstanding!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Worth a mention though, as a 'Bubbling Crossover' track, is the blinding "What A Lovely Way" from 1972.......

Agree with you about this track... one of my favourites of his too. In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now :thumbsup:

Social source share

I did wonder because I thought that was a 60's tune - mind you, as any Cleethorpes punter this year will know, I'm I Know f*** All Soulgirl :thumbsup:

Which one did you mean then?

Social source share

I did wonder because I thought that was a 60's tune - mind you, as any Cleethorpes punter this year will know, I'm I Know f*** All Soulgirl :wicked:

Which one did you mean then?

Hey, its the thought that counts!

I meant "What A Lovely Way" which is the flipside to "You Left The Fire Burning"... on Brunswick 55480 from 1972....which suggests, as everybody knows, that I'm a Johnny F***ing Know All Soulboy.

:thumbsup:

Lovely record... IMO.

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What'cha gonna do about love is worth a spin as mentioned. Great tune and although not Northern i do like to hear Reet Pettie. There is a Jackie Wilson track not sure what one but he did a version with Erma Franklin or someone it was Whispers or something cause i heard it before

Social source share

What'cha gonna do about love is worth a spin as mentioned. Great tune and although not Northern i do like to hear Reet Pettie. There is a Jackie Wilson track not sure what one but he did a version with Erma Franklin or someone it was Whispers or something cause i heard it before

love jackie wilson, so paul have you heard his 1973 album "beautiful day" awesome album

with a few non 45s, including the track" whatcha gonna do about me" as mentioned.

will lend you it as you live in the same city as me :shhh:

russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Not that it's my favourite JW track or anything, but I wanted to mention "Now That I Want Her" from the "Baby Workout" album - hear how the Anglos ripped this off, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig time, for "Incense" - same arrangement, same horns, you can in fact sing "Incense" over the top of it and it fits absolutely perfectly!

TONE :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Because of you

recently liking 'Its all over' nice track by Jackie, with a backing track similar to barbara acklin's am i the same girl...

Got to agree with you on this one........beautiful track.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

would enjoy a listen to the LP. I only have the 2 original Jackie Wilson LP's. I should hunt for the LP aswell to keep a copy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!