Banned For Life For Posting On Whitby

Mike

Well can't belive this one, sure most of you remeber the Whitby thread from a few weeks ago

In amongst it all a member posted up a post from a soul fan who had been at Whitby.

Had word today that the person who had wrote the post Margaret H has just been sent by registered mail a letter from Kev Roberts

been told that the registered letters purpose was to inform her that he is banning her for life from all his events s and is going to circulate her name to other promoters, along with legal threats if she posts similar in future

as the post was posted on here, have to say that to read that a soul fan has had such action taken against them by a promoter is disturbing, and as it concerns such a subject as that ticket fiasco at Whitby, then do have to wonder just why such strong action is being taken against someone posting their views on here

anyway thats a factual view of it...

post banned for "life" for is below

and whitby thread is

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30941

I'm not a big poster on this site but a friend as just emailed me this which she has sent to the promotors and because she cannot post on this site as asked if I do it for her !

Me and my wife were also there and my wife got a black eye in all the commotion plus I also don't agree with one of the comments in this thread about baring soulies who were there from other events ! Soulies are not hooligans !

Anyway see email below !

Kev I have just been on the soul-source web-site and read the e-mails regarding Whitby. Unfortunately, the administrator has closed the site to any new replies so I am taking this opportunity to warn you of the information that I intend to distribute among the hundreds of "misinformed" people. I had a very polite conversation with you on Sunday afternoon giving you the chance to explain why the ticket situation arose. I was totally horrified to hear you tell me that all the people who weren't allowed in on Saturday night, had knowingly, bought counterfeit tickets at £10 each and that's why they weren't allowed in. As I then informed you, I was one of those people who was refused entry. Let me remind you that I, along with the many genuine Northern Soul fans of many years, had bought our tickets months ago costing us £25 each. Where did you get that informationt from? If you'd actually had the courage to come upstairs to face us, then you would have seen many very familiar faces. Another lie that surfaced was that you had left the building on Saturday night and that is why Snowy came up to try and calm the situation. This is all fact - I was there. I was told on Saturday morning by a very dependable source that 2000 tickets had been sold. The poor guy you have all chosen as a scapegoat actually only sold 30 tickets. As for the so-called allocated 1500 wristbands, there was another full box waiting to be used by yourselves. Can you tell me what colour wrist bands were used for New York? As Friday night was well over the maximum capacity allowed for the venue, there were complaints and the authorities were informed and that's why there was a clamp down on Saturday night. Realising your greediness couldn't be explained away, I wouldn't be surprised if you planted that poor chap outside - your scapegoat! On Saturday night, when the police eventually arrived, we were told by them at around midnight that they were going to close the event. You, as promoter, then panicked and started asking people to leave - how desparate was that! Have you refunded their money yet? After waiting for over 2 hours, we were then told that 105 people could go downstairs. By this time and after all the emotional trauma we had been through, we were certainly not in the mood to be dancing. We waited for some compensation and an apology - guess what - we got neither! You didn't even have the decency to say SORRY - you just defended yourselves and put the blame on someone else!!! So, a message to all the people who can't understand what all the fuss is about, put yourselves in our shoes. We had looked forward to this event all year, paid our money, travelled miles and got stabbed in the back in return. One more point - I hope no-one buys their tickets yet for next year's event because when the police and council in Whitby have had their say on the situation, there probably won't be an event. I await your reply. MAGS

Social source share

• Replies 297
  • Views 25.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well can't belive this one, sure most of you remeber the Whitby thread from a few weeks ago

In amongst it all a member posted up a post from a soul fan who had been at Whitby.

Had word today that the person who had wrote the post Margaret H has just been sent by registered mail a letter from Kev Roberts

been told that the registered letters purpose was to inform her that he is banning her for life from all his events s and is going to circulate her name to other promoters, along with legal threats if she posts similar in future

as the post was posted on here, have to say that to read that a soul fan has had such action taken against them by a promoter is disturbing, and as it concerns such a subject as that ticket fiasco at Whitby, then do have to wonder just why such strong action is being taken against someone posting their views on here

and whitby thread is

I'm not a big poster on this site but a friend as just emailed me this which she has sent to the promotors and because she cannot post on this site as asked if I do it for her !

Me and my wife were also there and my wife got a black eye in all the commotion plus I also don't agree with one of the comments in this thread about baring soulies who were there from other events ! Soulies are not hooligans !

Anyway see email below !

Kev I have just been on the soul-source web-site and read the e-mails regarding Whitby. Unfortunately, the administrator has closed the site to any new replies so I am taking this opportunity to warn you of the information that I intend to distribute among the hundreds of "misinformed" people. I had a very polite conversation with you on Sunday afternoon giving you the chance to explain why the ticket situation arose. I was totally horrified to hear you tell me that all the people who weren't allowed in on Saturday night, had knowingly, bought counterfeit tickets at £10 each and that's why they weren't allowed in. As I then informed you, I was one of those people who was refused entry. Let me remind you that I, along with the many genuine Northern Soul fans of many years, had bought our tickets months ago costing us £25 each. Where did you get that informationt from? If you'd actually had the courage to come upstairs to face us, then you would have seen many very familiar faces. Another lie that surfaced was that you had left the building on Saturday night and that is why Snowy came up to try and calm the situation. This is all fact - I was there. I was told on Saturday morning by a very dependable source that 2000 tickets had been sold. The poor guy you have all chosen as a scapegoat actually only sold 30 tickets. As for the so-called allocated 1500 wristbands, there was another full box waiting to be used by yourselves. Can you tell me what colour wrist bands were used for New York? As Friday night was well over the maximum capacity allowed for the venue, there were complaints and the authorities were informed and that's why there was a clamp down on Saturday night. Realising your greediness couldn't be explained away, I wouldn't be surprised if you planted that poor chap outside - your scapegoat! On Saturday night, when the police eventually arrived, we were told by them at around midnight that they were going to close the event. You, as promoter, then panicked and started asking people to leave - how desparate was that! Have you refunded their money yet? After waiting for over 2 hours, we were then told that 105 people could go downstairs. By this time and after all the emotional trauma we had been through, we were certainly not in the mood to be dancing. We waited for some compensation and an apology - guess what - we got neither! You didn't even have the decency to say SORRY - you just defended yourselves and put the blame on someone else!!! So, a message to all the people who can't understand what all the fuss is about, put yourselves in our shoes. We had looked forward to this event all year, paid our money, travelled miles and got stabbed in the back in return. One more point - I hope no-one buys their tickets yet for next year's event because when the police and council in Whitby have had their say on the situation, there probably won't be an event. I await your reply. MAGS

Well, are we really surprised eh, Delx

Social source share

and whitby thread is

Anyway see email below !

Hi Mike ,I am not surprised .I had a few obnoxious PMs from the same person mentioned.

BUT I recognised him as a person not to deal with many years ago....and I have not bothered to read your posting (sorry) about his statement...This person gave me a load of abuse....but when you are right ,you re right,ignore "business partner" terms...this person really knows nothing about "soulies" just how to take their money..IMHO

Stevie z

Social source share

I would suggest people of the soul world to stand up against this type of abuse from mallisious, abnoxious, down right low and dirty promoters, shocking behaviour, and no way to treat people with a view, i would be shocked at people if they even considered putting money in his pocket any more, shame on you if you do....

P.S i look forward to reciving a registard letter, because it wont go in the bin it will go straight up KR arse!

Social source share

If Mr Roberts was an innocent, unknowing person in all this then why, oh why, did he just not apologise and refund those people who didn't get in. Instead he's making out he's the victim in all this and how dare people think otherwise. Mr Roberts - just do the decent thing, apologise, refund and stop threatening people who are just telling the truth. How you think you will make yourself sound credible with your terrible threats to a female is beyond me. Maybe you ought to stop and actually think about your actions and words first.

This is an absolute disgrace. My father, who is not a soul person so looking as a complete outsider, has read all this and is astounded by the arrogance of Kev Roberts.

Does he really think that other promoters are going to ban Margaret just because she told the truth and wants an apology ... WAKE UP!!!!

Edited by Mandy
Social source share

Guest Adam G

Well I am from Middlesbrough and Kev Roberts is not banned from here in fact there are a few who would like to see him at a venue localy.

Social source share

Disgrace if even a hint of truth !

Kev, I have just been on the soul-source web-site and read the e-mails regarding Whitby. Unfortunately, the administrator has closed the site to any new replies so I am taking this opportunity to warn you of the information that I intend to distribute among the hundreds of "misinformed" people. I had a very polite conversation with you on Sunday afternoon giving you the chance to explain why the ticket situation arose. I was totally horrified to hear you tell me that all the people who weren't allowed in on Saturday night, had knowingly, bought counterfeit tickets at £10 each and that's why they weren't allowed in. As I then informed you, I was one of those people who was refused entry. Let me remind you that I, along with the many genuine Northern Soul fans of many years, had bought our tickets months ago costing us £25 each. Where did you get that informationt from? If you'd actually had the courage to come upstairs to face us, then you would have seen many very familiar faces. Another lie that surfaced was that you had left the building on Saturday night and that is why Snowy came up to try and calm the situation. This is all fact - I was there. I was told on Saturday morning by a very dependable source that 2000 tickets had been sold. The poor guy you have all chosen as a scapegoat actually only sold 30 tickets. As for the so-called allocated 1500 wristbands, there was another full box waiting to be used by yourselves. Can you tell me what colour wrist bands were used for New York? As Friday night was well over the maximum capacity allowed for the venue, there were complaints and the authorities were informed and that's why there was a clamp down on Saturday night. Realising your greediness couldn't be explained away, I wouldn't be surprised if you planted that poor chap outside - your scapegoat! On Saturday night, when the police eventually arrived, we were told by them at around midnight that they were going to close the event. You, as promoter, then panicked and started asking people to leave - how desparate was that! Have you refunded their money yet? After waiting for over 2 hours, we were then told that 105 people could go downstairs. By this time and after all the emotional trauma we had been through, we were certainly not in the mood to be dancing. We waited for some compensation and an apology - guess what - we got neither! You didn't even have the decency to say SORRY - you just defended yourselves and put the blame on someone else!!! So, a message to all the people who can't understand what all the fuss is about, put yourselves in our shoes. We had looked forward to this event all year, paid our money, travelled miles and got stabbed in the back in return. One more point - I hope no-one buys their tickets yet for next year's event because when the police and council in Whitby have had their say on the situation, there probably won't be an event. I await your reply.

I've said it too now - registered letter pleeeez !

Personally I find it much more enjoyable abusing Ady at th'100 club - he even smiles sometimes !

Social source share

Nothing this buffoon does surprises me.

The sheer effrontery of his responses to paying punters that were treated so abysmally at Whitby was breathtaking. Is there any connection between people's dissatisfaction at the woeful organization of this event and his disappearance from this forum? Or am I being overly cynical?

He seriously has an over-inflated sense of his own importance to the scene. Who died and made him King of Rare Soul?

It should be US banning HIM by refusing to turn up to his cynical 'N£RTHERN S$UL' marketing exercises and spending our hard-earned cash on his 'product'.

If Mr Roberts or any of his cohorts are reading this, please ban me from your events, and while you're at it why not ban me from buying your tedious CDs/DVDs/Books/Magazines/Overpriced 'Reissues' /Rip-Off Excursions to the US etc.

Social source share

Nothing this buffoon does surprises me.

The sheer effrontery of his responses to paying punters that were treated so abysmally at Whitby was breathtaking. Is there any connection between people's dissatisfaction at the woeful organization of this event and his disappearance from this forum? Or am I being overly cynical?

He seriously has an over-inflated sense of his own importance to the scene. Who died and made him King of Rare Soul?

It should be US banning HIM by refusing to turn up to his cynical 'N£RTHERN S$UL' marketing exercises and spending our hard-earned cash on his 'product'.

If Mr Roberts or any of his cohorts are reading this, please ban me from your events, and while you're at it why not ban me from buying your tedious CDs/DVDs/Books/Magazines/Overpriced 'Reissues' /Rip-Off Excursions to the US etc.

I would hardly say he was that!!! All his venues are same old same old same old :thumbsup:

Social source share

I would hardly say he was that!!! All his venues are same old same old same old :wicked:

Mandy, I was merely making the point that he oviously regards the Rare Soul Scene as his own personal fiefdom and that we are mere serfs and villeins whose sole task is to buy into his tired and hackneyed vision without complaint or opinion.

The vast majority of his posts on here were either trying to sell us something or ridiculing those who were less than satisfied with the shabby nonsense he was purveying. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mandy, I was merely making the point that he oviously regards the Rare Soul Scene as his own personal fiefdom and that we are mere serfs and villeins whose sole task is to buy into his tired and hackneyed vision without complaint or opinion.

The vast majority of his posts on here were either trying to sell us something or ridiculing those who were less than satisfied with the shabby nonsense he was purveying. :lol:

Sorry I wasn't having a go at what you said :wicked:

I agree totally with the above, only posts on here are for his own satisfaction ... oh and please let me know if he's ever attended a soul night that he wasn't actually running .... now don't all rush at once :thumbsup:

Social source share

Your very trusting I'd gamble on a few more :thumbsup:

I like to think that the majority of promoters are doing it for the likes of us (punters wanting a good night with good tunes and people). I honestly can say that no promoters have pissed me off more than this one .... he does make other people re-think their values of other promoters ... but they should not all be tarred with the same brush

Social source share

Disgraceful , darn right disgraceful , some people need to sit down and take a good look back to were there roots were set. Losing X amount of money on one venue , what a shame .Just think of all those great soul artist's who failed to make it in the 60's/70's in the USA . Just think of the cash those artist lost or never got while certain people stood behind a counter selling bootlegs of those artist's songs. this an observation in general I'm not just point the finger at one person.

Kirsty I think on this situation you really have been a victim on two accounts.

And Kev , wether it be , mistrust, jealousy or what ever for the sake of all decent soul fans around the world , and for the sake for the want of a better word '' your honour'' accept that Kirsty only used this forum to express her disapointment and feelings . Something , I am sure you have done in the past.

Like many others I have known you through soulmusic and been to many of you promotions for over 30yrs in one way or another, and dare say I MAY use your promotions in the future . I will certainly think twice now.

For the sake of all thats good with this scene , show some remorse and put some sanity back into this situation

Social source share

like we hav'nt been warned? we have had a drip drip drip effect of Mr Roberts 'money at all costs' attitude to our scene for over a decade. I remember, previous condemnation of his actions, on here, has been met with frustrated small time oldies DJ's, all too eager to kiss his ass for a chance to spin records at one of his appalling 'top of the pops' style soul events. That is the only reason he is tolerated. As for Adam, I have heard about the chemicals in the water up there.

Col

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

What a disgrace, the levels some, so called stalwarts of the northern scene is shocking.

The best thing Mr Roberts could do, is hold his hands in the air, take the blame, and apologise. Kirsty had every right to express her opinion, after all we do live in a democracy, and that means freedom of speech, whatever form that takes.

Social source share

Just want to point out all though Kev did threaten Kirsty, she is not the one in question here, its a lady called Margart whos friend posted up and email from her on the site :shhh:

Social source share

Hi Mike ,I am not surprised .I had a few obnoxious PMs from the same person mentioned.

BUT I recognised him as a person not to deal with many years ago....and I have not bothered to read your posting (sorry) about his statement...This person gave me a load of abuse....but when you are right ,you re right,ignore "business partner" terms...this person really knows nothing about "soulies" just how to take their money..IMHO

Stevie z

Ditto :shhh:

Yes it has been known years ago not to deal with him.

What a discrace of a man.......Can't send me a letter cos don't go to his venues :D:D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Well what did anyone expect? I wouldn't go to one of his events even if Liz Hurley was DJing topless. Kev couldn't give a monkeys about you little people that line his pockets. Support your local soul club, put up with pub back rooms and the occasional cock up from amateur promoters in it for the music not the money or else put yourselves in the hands of Mr Robert's personal cash machine, the choice is yours.

Social source share

Well what did anyone expect? I wouldn't go to one of his events even if Liz Hurley was DJing topless. Kev couldn't give a monkeys about you little people that line his pockets. Support your local soul club, put up with pub back rooms and the occasional cock up from amateur promoters in it for the music not the money or else put yourselves in the hands of Mr Robert's personal cash machine, the choice is yours.

Just wondered what other promoters he would get to ban Mags? which ones is he talking about? Would anyone ban Mags, Kirsty or someone else from their events just because Kev says so? I dont think so!

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

How will any of them know what she looks like anyway??? Photographed circulated and pinned behind the pay kiosk...have you seen this soulie...

Well he must know who she is :D ........otherwise how did he obtain her address? :D ........was her ticket sent by post?....Well doesn't that make her an original ticket holder then!!!!!.....we wait in anticipation :shhh: .

Social source share

Well he must know who she is :D ........otherwise how did he obtain her address? :D ........was her ticket sent by post?....Well doesn't that make her an original ticket holder then!!!!!.....we wait in anticipation :shhh: .

KR posted on the Whitby thread that he was trying to get hold of her details.

Social source share

There's nothing like a good bit of customer relations PR. A genuine customer makes a complaint and as a result gets a life ban, I can't think of any other company in the land that would take such drastic action. Most companies would make some sort of an apology and/or give reasons for whatever the complaint had been about (even if not their fault!), but I am sure most would have also given some sort of compensation.

From what I've read of Mr Roberts posts before (having never met the man), I would say that even after all the comments posted on here in disgust at the action he has taken, he still won't reconsider. Very sad indeed. :shhh:

Social source share

Wow this has woken me up! I know Im only third party to whatever happened but!

I think we should form a group called the "Soul Police" and say to Mr Roberts Anything you do say will be taken down and used as evidence and if you do remain silent anyhing you later rely on will be taken with a pinch of salt.

Looks like you made a few enemies here Kev - Get it sorted

It will only take one more mistake like this and someone with a bee in their bonnet Could be sending you registered letters with litigation summons in them- Very costly! Not worth it.

Swalow your Pride Kev and Just apologise at least

Was Richard involved in this promotion - If so whats he got to say about it?

Social source share

When will people in business in this country, and Kev does see it as a business, realise you can never ever 'win' and arguement with a customer. We know that in reality customers are not always right (speaking generally not about this situation of course) but if you want to stay in business you must treat them as if they are.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

like we hav'nt been warned? we have had a drip drip drip effect of Mr Roberts 'money at all costs' attitude to our scene for over a decade. I remember, previous condemnation of his actions, on here, has been met with frustrated small time oldies DJ's, all too eager to kiss his ass for a chance to spin records at one of his appalling 'top of the pops' style soul events. That is the only reason he is tolerated.

As for Adam, I have heard about the chemicals in the water up there.

Col

I see I will have to explain it to you then.

The post was being Ironic It was meant to show that if he did show his face he would have some explaining to do.I dont know if you know but Kev Roberts (and this creases me up every time)has also banned from his excellant promoted venues (irony again) anyone with a Teesside postcode I kid you not.

And dont have a pop about our water as it comes from Kielder res in Northumberland and is beautifuly clear and we can still hose our gardens and flush the bog as many times as we like!

Social source share

There's nothing like a good bit of customer relations PR. A genuine customer makes a complaint and as a result gets a life ban, I can't think of any other company in the land that would take such drastic action. Most companies would make some sort of an apology and/or give reasons for whatever the complaint had been about (even if not their fault!), but I am sure most would have also given some sort of compensation.

Lets face facts here, 'Mags' pointed out some of the truths behind the whole situation KR didn't like that fact he was found out, he's scammed people at Whitby, instead of facing these facts hes took it on himself to throw actions (slanderous actions at that), if there is any one who now faces court action it is KR.

Kev you have been found out of scamming people with extra wrist bands at Whitby face that fact and do whats right, i await your letter telling me im banned and you are taking me to court bring it on Roberts, you may frighten other people who stand up to your shoddy business, with legal threats but not me.

Social source share

Me and Kenny and JT and BB haven't been contacted concerning any cross promotions ban, so I'm sure she'll be more than welcome at the 100 Club next Saturday if she needs to hear some good old stompers!

SWEETSOUL ON SAME LINES AND HORNECASTLE

:shhh::D

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

On the face of it a sad and disgraceful situation, and all because of a complaint. Sad when you can't air an grievance for fear of legal action. Kev, if you read this thread, and I'm sure you are/will either in person or via someone sending it on, you maybe should reconsider your actions, or at least tell us why you've taken such a drastic decision. I know you feel you're untouchable, but you must know that this will be talked about, and when things go the word of mouth route they can get exaggerated. Much better you make some sort of statement either withdrawing the ban, or explaining it!

Winnie:-)

Social source share

My sympathy to the lady concerned. I am also banned for life from the KRL events as I questioned the Soul trip 2006 advert about buying event tickets only instead of the whole trip/hotel/flights etc. It was advertised to do this but when I tried to buy one I was told the advert should have been removed and it was the webmasters fault. After compaining on this site I got a private email informing me I was banned.

I got bored with the whole thing in the end and having read the post about USA 2006, maybe it was a blessing anyway.

Anyway now there are (at least) 2 of us banned so dont get too pissed off as for sure the numbers will grow and maybe some promoter will hold events stricktly for those banned from KRL only.

EDDIE CARTER

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!