Great Artists Who Never Made A Lp

Guest ShaneH

Guest ShaneH

plenty of soul stars were lucky to get the chance to cut an lp but there must have been a few greats who never got the chance?

come on people discuss...... :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

plenty of soul stars were lucky to get the chance to cut an lp but there must have been a few greats who never got the chance?

come on people discuss...... :thumbsup:

Shane

First artist that comes to mind is the great Chicago singer /songwriter Johnny Moore. Loads of great 7`s on different labels but no Lp`s to my knowledge (except Grapevine`s superb compilation CD).

Mark H

Social source share

Shane

You’ve confused me here.

Do you mean it the other way around? i.e. got an album release but no singles. Then again, that’s ‘prog-rock’ isn’t it?

Not sure who you mean by ‘soul stars’ v ‘greats’ can you clarify.

I would have thought to get offered a album release you would need to have had at least 2 decent nation US hits (1 for each side) , plus recorded 8 other track for a typical ‘5 a side’ album release?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Shane

You've confused me here.

Do you mean it the other way around? i.e. got an album release but no singles. Then again, that's 'prog-rock' isn't it?

Not sure who you mean by 'soul stars' v 'greats' can you clarify.

I would have thought to get offered a album release you would need to have had at least 2 decent nation US hits (1 for each side) , plus recorded 8 other track for a typical '5 a side' album release?

okey dokey simon i will explain it better...

were there any popular artists who released great 45s but never cut an lp?

Shane

Social source share

okey dokey simon i will explain it better...

were there any popular artists who released great 45s but never cut an lp?

Shane

My Dad :wicked: Honestly he actually did 3 45s but never did an album (ok so not on the level of "famous people") .... COLIN STORM AND THE WHIRLWINDS :thumbsup:

Edited by Mandy
Social source share

The Monkey, Welfare Cheese, Crazy, Sweet Lies, I'm A Peace Loving Man, Don't Lead Me On, I've Got To Run For My Life, (Lucky To Be Loved By You ok not Thelma) and yes they all came out at different times but almost enough there for an album that never was from the late great Emanuel Laskey..........maybe there should be a best of comilation from one of the record companies over here add these recordings to his later stuff and wow!!! same could be said of Darrow Fletcher prime example of another prolific artist who never had an album out at the time.....come on Mr Croasdell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The Monkey, Welfare Cheese, Crazy, Sweet Lies, I'm A Peace Loving Man, Don't Lead Me On, I've Got To Run For My Life, (Lucky To Be Loved By You ok not Thelma) and yes they all came out at different times but almost enough there for an album that never was from the late great Emanuel Laskey..........maybe there should be a best of comilation from one of the record companies over here add these recordings to his later stuff and wow!!! same could be said of Darrow Fletcher prime example of another prolific artist who never had an album out at the time.....come on Mr Croasdell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good Call Mark. Maybe someone should do that...mmmm. Of course the great question of Berry Gordy was why no Kim Weston or Velvelettes LP?

regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Probably down to cost in a lot of cases especially the small labels like Thelma, printing sleeves was no doubt costly and the profit margin on sales compared to a hitting local 45 maybe was to small making an album a big risk, now Motown there's a different story, Chris Clark and no Kim Weston I wonder why!

Here's another thing singles that say "from album " so and so"" but you never see the album!

Social source share

Lou Johnson - recorded an LP but it was never released - I think, supposedly where his version of The Panic Is On comes from

He has had LP/LPs released though, in the 70s.

Social source share

Good Call Mark. Maybe someone should do that...mmmm. Of course the great question of Berry Gordy was why no Kim Weston or Velvelettes LP?

regards,

Dave

I'm sure I read somewhere the reason Kim didn't get an lp out at Motown was because she was married to producer Mickey Stevenson, they didn't want to show favouritism. Carolyn crawford should have had a lp at motown but didn't. Jack Montgomery, Ray Pollard should have had lp's as well.

Tubbs

Social source share

Hi Pete

I was right on the line 1969

Sweet southern soul-Cotillion SD9008

Recorded in the great Fame studios

So does that count :thumbsup:

To be honest Dave, 1968 is far enough forward for me :wicked:

Thats' "northern soul" wise I mean.

Ordinary / commercial soul whatever, not bothered about, I just haven't been able to adapt to 70's and beyond sounds being played alongside 60's, and I never will. All those that do like em, good luck to you, but it's just not for me, thats all.

Although of course I contradict myself every time by saying I like the 'modern' stuff that used to be played 75-77, but after that, I'm a lost cause.

Back to your question, I doubt very much I would enjoy a soul Lp recorded in 1969.

I would, however, enjoy a reggae LP recorded in 1969.

Social source share

How could Jack Motngomery have had an LP, he only recorded 4 singles in his life didn't he, on 4 different labels, what, was K-Tel going to put it out??

Yarr,

Read the question agin.

Doesn't say who released enough tracks for an LP, just who never got to record one...

Aharr.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Didn't Kim Weston have an L.P. on Volt ???

Back to your question, I doubt very much I would enjoy a soul Lp recorded in 1969.

Not even "Rare Stamps" ?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

He did get one released on Volt did he not?

Oops :ohmy:unsure.gif should read the thread.

Re the Kim Weston, yes she had Kim Kim Kim on Volt or subsidary, great LP with a killer version of When Something Is Wrong With My Baby, a record I listed in a top 5 for a certain ex NME/Echoes journalist who I knew would never make it very far in the media :D:D

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Oops :ohmy:unsure.gif should read the thread.

Re the Kim Weston, yes she had Kim Kim Kim on Volt or subsidary, great LP with a killer version of When Something Is Wrong With My Baby, a record I listed in a top 5 for a certain ex NME/Echoes journalist who I knew would never make it very far in the media :D:D

Cheers

Jock

You right he didn't he's still stuck at Channel 4 and hanging about dodgy soul websites - pathetic.

Social source share

Someone mentioned 'Rare Stamps' so another two names up from me as they shared an album but no solo as far as i'm aware J.J. Barnes and of course Steve Mancha...oh and add Lee Rogers to the mix can't count a re issue album from a few years ago but i guess we are talking from the time i.e the 60's???? all three of these prolific singers could have relesed an album at the time but sadly never did.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Someone mentioned 'Rare Stamps' so another two names up from me as they shared an album but no solo as far as i'm aware J.J. Barnes and of course Steve Mancha...oh and add Lee Rogers to the mix can't count a re issue album from a few years ago but i guess we are talking from the time i.e the 60's???? all three of these prolific singers could have relesed an album at the time but sadly never did.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

J.J. Barnes released an album in the 70s on Perception.

Social source share

How could Jack Motngomery have had an LP, he only recorded 4 singles in his life didn't he, on 4 different labels, what, was K-Tel going to put it out??

What's that got to do with anything Alex Brown did less 45's than that and still got an lp released.I'm sure there will be alot more as well. Also have you never owned an lp with only 8 tracks on it.

Tubbs

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!