Emanons Query?

Dave Moore

Quick question guys...

Anyone know of any provenance to link the All Brothers/Phil LA of Soul group with the earlier Witney line up? The groups sound completely different but with ten years or more between he recordings I'm just wondering....mmm?

With Witney based in NY and los of groups making the trip to the Big Apple I guess it's feasible?

Any help/info appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lee Andrews and The Hearts, The Willows, The Dreamlovers and Garnett Mimms and The Enchanters are just 4 of the Philly groups that recorded, at some point in their careers, in New York.  I believe that The Emanons did, as well.  I've always heard and even read a few times that they were the same group, but with several member changes.  But, I don't have any hard evidence of that, and didn't know much about that group, as they were East Coast, and fairly obscure to people outside The Northeast.

Social source share

Lloyd Parks is the only member of the group listed in the soul harmony singles book.

And then there's this:

All Brothers Although this was a Philly label it's thought to have Detroit connections.White label bootleg copies exists of Ann Robinson & red ones of Emanon Bros.. Ann recorded initially for Sonny Hopsons All Brothers label which released 'Bird Walkin' by the Emanons Orch, which despite different writer/publisher credits, is a reworking of the rhythm track of 'World of happiness' ..... The Emanons as 'The Freedom Now Brothers' released a track called 'Sissy walk' on All Brothers and Ann cut a vocal on this entitled 'you did it' ....what Sonny told Dave was that he had wanted to do 'Bird Walkin' as a vocal but the Emanons (a male group) couldn't cut the vocal track how he wanted so he got Ann to do a vocal on that tune as well which was never issued.

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

Hi Guys,

I've spoken to Sonny a few times about the group but his recollections aren't 100% reliable in my opinion. The Bird Walking track was a Virtue production involving Johnny Stiles and Luther Randolph.  I have some, (tenuous), info about the group  but will keep that off here for now as it may influence any furhr contributions and I'd rather see what (if anything), people come up with independently before pooling it all but I've never traced any connection to Detroit with Sonny's All Brothers label.  

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I was told in Philly that the "Bird Walking" track was some instrumental that Jesse James (though may have been someone else?) gave to Sonny Hopson to put on the flip to "Look In The Want Ads" and then credit to the "Emanons" consequently Sonny would have been "out of the loop" as far as a vocal cut of "Bird Walking" as it wasn't one of his productions

Des

Social source share

I was told in Philly that the "Bird Walking" track was some instrumental that Jesse James (though may have been someone else?) gave to Sonny Hopson to put on the flip to "Look In The Want Ads" and then credit to the "Emanons" consequently Sonny would have been "out of the loop" as far as a vocal cut of "Bird Walking" as it wasn't one of his productions

Des

That's about the size of it I reckon too as far as 'Bird Walking' is concerned. The Shirley Turner vocal is a Harthon/DynoDynamics product by Johnny and Luther. 

Des, you ever come across any of the group or any provenance as to who they were and where they were from? 

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!