Dave Barker 'you Must Believe'

Andybellwood

Andy - I just switched my jukebox on for the first time in ages and played a few tunes, I knew that song sounded familiar - I've actually got it, on my jukebox, labelled as "I feel alright again", it's on the B side of a blank of The Uniques "Out of love" which would explain why people think it's Slim Smith.  So I had it all along!

Social source share

Apparently issued in the UK on Techniques label credited to The Techniques..TE 904

Another coincidence is - I said I had it on the B side of The Uniques "Out of love" - well Dave Barker also did a version of Out Of Love using the same backing track as The Uniques, came out miscredited as Dave McLaren "No love at all" on the Big label.

So now I need to check to see if it is actually The Uniques version on my jukebox!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK this is just getting weirder.

My copy is a blank, and it has no matrix number, nothing, I asked Dee to check in case it was my eyes, but there is nothing at all in the grooves.

But the other side, has very large run of writing

WR 3256 No Body Loves Me Slim Smith

meaning (W)inston (R ) iley production

but that WR number isn't listed in the RKR database!

I put one of my own labels on it years ago and I wrote down the matrix FCR 7423 on the label which is the correct one for the original of The Uniques Out Of Love.

But Out Of Love isn't a Winston Riley production anyway, is it?  W. Lowe / L. Tyrell?

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

"I Feel Alive" was also released as a JA Techniques blank backed by another Dave Barker tune, "Heart of a man." Total stunner. Couldn't believe it when I found a copy. Went for at least a year thinking it was Slim Smith or Pat Kelly. Couldn't believe Dave Barker had that voice!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!