Beth Bynum On Starmaker

Marktsoulman

Just wondering just how rare this one really is? Only noted as I have owned 2 copies of "I will Set You Free" in the last 8-9 years and both since sold, if I recall for £150 or so? I also think my mate Phil Shields had one?

JM is giving a very interesting write up suggesting really scarce? I guess I should not have sold along with the many others?

Anybody have a feel for the scarcity?

Mark T

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I dont think it's that rare, look at all the copies on youtube. Probably one of those 45s where all the copies had got to europe by the 90s.

I remember the mistake now - funny one too : one of the backing vocal guys gives it a solo 'yeeeess' in the wrong place. Once you hear it you cant enjoy the tune cos you just wait for it

Social source share

I dont think it's that rare, look at all the copies on youtube. Probably one of those 45s where all the copies had got to europe by the 90s.

I remember the mistake now - funny one too : one of the backing vocal guys gives it a solo 'yeeeess' in the wrong place. Once you hear it you cant enjoy the tune cos you just wait for it

I just listened to it again.

The last "yes" sounds like one person maybe? Don't know how many were on it on backing vocals - guess 2-4? - but it's hardly a major error.  Sounds fine.

The more I hear it, the more I like it - I didn't like it when I bought it - but that's just collecting - think it's great at the moment and actually picked it out a couple of weeks ago for a pre-'65 Detroit project I'm working on. In the context of when it was recorded, it's a great record.

:) 

Social source share

I just listened to it again.

The last "yes" sounds like one person maybe? Don't know how many were on it on backing vocals - guess 2-4? - but it's hardly a major error. Sounds fine.

The more I hear it, the more I like it - I didn't like it when I bought it - but that's just collecting - think it's great at the moment and actually picked it out a couple of weeks ago for a pre-'65 Detroit project I'm working on. In the context of when it was recorded, it's a great record.

:)

Must admit, I just listened to it and it sounded pretty good. I got it around 05/06 I guess, when I had killer r&b newies coming out my ears, things like this didnt cut it at the time Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Some nice Early soul stuff on Starmaker

The Taylor Tones is a great early girl effort and the Freddie Butler is Supurb

The Deans aint too bad either

Heres the track listing taken from Dave Flynns Anorak Corner 

Star-Maker:
1925          THE CARAVELLES - PINK LIPS / ANGRY ANGEL
1926          THE TAYLOR TONES - POOR LITTLE GIRL / A STAR
1927          BETH BYNUM - I'LL SET YOU FREE / IT HURTS TO BE IN LOVE
1928          THE DEANS - YOU GOT ME BABY / OH LITTLE STAR
1929          THE CARAVELLES - DEVIL WITH AN ANGELS SMILE / ?
1930          FREDDY BUTLER - I TOLD YOU SO / THIS ROAD
1931          THE DEANS - (LADY OF THE) CARAVAN / CHILLS, CHILLS, CHILLS
5001          THE COMMERCIALS - LOVER'S TRAIN / LET EVERYBODY DANCE

Al H :thumbsup: 
Social source share

It was a huge (indeed it was) Hip City spin for me in the mid nineties and I remember the first time I played it at the fabulous Hideaway Club and several people did not know it (but loved it).

I got all the starmaker 45s except for 5001 and wouldnt mind a copy please.

The Freddy Butler does sound like a version of "I Keep Forgetting", great record as Alan says. The Deans and Caravelles are early Group records, The Caravelles still showing their DooWop roots. Taylor Tones is nice also but not as good as their effort on CJ.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!