Chuck Corby And Rhythm Rascals

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Good question.  Generally, Roulette was a large, semi-major label, which leased masters from smaller labels, rather than the other way round.  So, we might go with the odds, and assume that the Fee Bee issue was released first, saw some local sales action, and was leased by Roulette for national distribution.  However, sometimes the original owner of masters which were originally leased to larger companies, when the lease rights period ran out, re-issued the cots on his own small label, for the oldies market.  Pittsburgh's Fee Bee Records was one of those small labels which operated for many years (lasting into the 1970s) re-issuing old cuts, which had been leased to larger labels during their initial run (i.e. Dell Vikings - "Come and go With Me" and "Whispering Bells").  So, this Chuck Corby and Group record MAY possibly have been leased directly to Roulette as a master (not pressed by Fee Bee), and only first released by Fee Bee several or many years later, exclusively as an oldie.

I will be very interested to hear the real, documented answer to this question.  But, until we get that answer, my guess would be that Fee Bee released it first, locally, in Pittsburgh, as was their modus operandi.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Doesn't mention The Rhythm Rascals release but this discog from Chuck Corby's site may or may not help

https://www.chuckcorby.com/discography.html

Slightly off topic but there was to be a film starring Chuck Colby based loosely around his life and mobster dealings. Originally it was to be called Saloonatics but for some reason it got released as "The Mob Boss and the Soul Singer". Came out on DVD in the US last July.

Doesn't look as if it's gonna get any Oscars for acting but interestingly in the below clip at 3.15 there's a young (actors) Chuck Colby doing "Please Don't Go"

I thought it kinda neat

Social source share

Interesting, but what explains the different title, and also there is a 13 second difference in the length of the tracks.

Regards

Unfortunately, I grew up a Midwesterner, and I don't know The regional and local East Coast details very much, and never talked with or worked with people from East Coast labels.  I suspect that fee bee leased the master to the version that came out on Roulette, and, some years later, (after Roulette's rights period lapsed, released an alternate version, for the oldies market.  I don't know why they changed the name of the song (unless they released it locally only, DURING Roulette's rights period, and the title change was part of the agreement, or it was to hide the release from Roulette).

Social source share

As perhaps lots are aware, Chuck Corby (I need your love - Fee Bee) and Rhythm Rascals (girl by my side -Roulette) are one and the same record. My query is why the different titles and which was released first. Which version do you prefer?

Regards

But they are not the same. The Rhythm Rascals is another take of the song to Chuck Corby's.They are very similar in many ways but the overall sound is different. It could be a mix thing but the singer's voice and tone is also totally different. They are just not the same "record"-ing. Check the differences;

Always preferred the Chuck Corby to the Rhythm Rascals version. The sound is "bigger" and the overall build up of the song is there while for the Rhythm Rascals the song doesn't build up as much, it's kinda more "linear". And that very annoying sax echoing the lead singer is way too predominant to my ears on the Rhythm Rascals.

The Rhythm Rascals was first (defo mid-1966). Chuck was likely involved in this project somehow/somewhere (who is Bobbie Boy Butch ?) like for the Soul Communicators... and Chuck Corby's is often dated (even on his own site) to be 1967. Check all the catalogue numberings here below on the label scans.

Mind you that the 'A' side for the Rhythm Rascals is 'Why Did You Have To Go' and for Chuck Corby on Fee Bee 'Honey, Let Me Stay' is the 'A' side. So the tune we are talking about here were only 'B' sides on both releases. Still it may have had enough exposure through the Roulette release, that Chuck would finally re-record 'GBMS' as 'INYL'. As to why the change in the title from 'GBMS' to 'INYL', that maybe only Chuck could explain.

Order of releases; post-19710-0-46925800-1410086818_thumb.ppost-19710-0-18469700-1410086842_thumb.ppost-19710-0-93568700-1410086913_thumb.p

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doesn't mention The Rhythm Rascals release but this discog from Chuck Corby's site may or may not help

https://www.chuckcorby.com/discography.html

Slightly off topic but there was to be a film starring Chuck Colby based loosely around his life and mobster dealings. Originally it was to be called Saloonatics but for some reason it got released as "The Mob Boss and the Soul Singer". Came out on DVD in the US last July.

Doesn't look as if it's gonna get any Oscars for acting but interestingly in the below clip at 3.15 there's a young (actors) Chuck Colby doing "Please Don't Go"

I thought it kinda neat

https://youtu.be/MwLk88Lcr84

Social source share

But they are not the same. The Rhythm Rascals is another take of the song to Chuck Corby's.They are very similar in many ways but the overall sound is different. It could be a mix thing but the singer's voice and tone is also totally different. They are just not the same "record"-ing. Check the differences;

Always preferred the Chuck Corby to the Rhythm Rascals version. The sound is "bigger" and the overall build up of the song is there while for the Rhythm Rascals the song doesn't build up as much, it's kinda more "linear". And that very annoying sax echoing the lead singer is way too predominant to my ears on the Rhythm Rascals.

The Rhythm Rascals was first (defo mid-1966). Chuck was likely involved in this project somehow/somewhere (who is Bobbie Boy Butch ?) like for the Soul Communicators... and Chuck Corby's is often dated (even on his own site) to be 1967. Check all the catalogue numberings here below on the label scans.

Mind you that the 'A' side for the Rhythm Rascals is 'Why Did You Have To Go' and for Chuck Corby on Fee Bee 'Honey, Let Me Stay' is the 'A' side. So the tune we are talking about here were only 'B' sides on both releases. Still it may have had enough exposure through the Roulette release, that Chuck would finally re-record 'GBMS' as 'INYL'. As to why the change in the title from 'GBMS' to 'INYL', that maybe only Chuck could explain.

Order of releases; Capture d’écran 2014-09-07 à 10.54.22.png Capture d’écran 2014-09-07 à 10.55.10.png Capture d’écran 2014-09-07 à 12.47.58.png

Social source share

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUCK-CORBY-THE-ENTREES-on-FEE-BEE-45-RPM-SOUL-/190475486733?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c5939460d

Been looking to pick up a copy cheap on EBay.  Noticed these couple of months back but at the time another ad on there for same copy saying boot/repress for Pittsburgh scene.

Rubbish photo in the ad and record advertised looks different to copy from YT at post 12. Maybe camera ? No idea.

I notice comment on sleeve at post 12. Obviously it's not a '58 recording so were two coupled in 60's on release of " I need your love" or come out at any time since as a re-issue. A label listing would be helpful.

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!