Craig Charles

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

Sorry. I bet this has been discussed before, but the bbc's know-nothing 'Mr Funk and Soul' really makes my blood boil.

I can't even string a coherent sentence together about this plastic div....

And then my well-meaning friends, who sort of know what kind of music I like, text me saying "Are you listening to Craig Charles?"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Does he?

How come no one ever heard about this until he got the gig on 6 Music?

I first heard of him as a rubbish poet who tried to associate himself with the post-punk scene in Liverpool in the late 70s....

I think he likes his career.

The reason I posted this was I just heard some of his show. He was going on about "digging through the crates" for "choons" and finding a copy of that holy fucking grail "Talking Book" by Stevie Wonder.

He's a clueless chancer and somebody else picks the records.....

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I wasnt too keen on the guy either to be honest and he dosent seem to have a clue about the northern stuff , again he is definately a career driven type ,and used to be incredibly arrogant ,in this area he seems to have changed for the better . For me though his saving grace is his enthusiasm, i find it quite infectious .  Thus ends my in depth character analysis of Mr  Charles.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry. I bet this has been discussed before, but the bbc's know-nothing 'Mr Funk and Soul' really makes my blood boil.

I can't even string a coherent sentence together about this plastic div....

And then my well-meaning friends, who sort of know what kind of music I like, text me saying "Are you listening to Craig Charles?"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...... so you don't Smegging like the Smeghead then?..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I thought he was famous for taking long distance taxi rides fro London to Liverpool sitting in the back hammering into loads of crack cocaine and pouiring over a pile of nude books, apart from Red Dwarf thats all that he reminds me off concerning his body of work.Appears to be that the taxi,crack and girlie mag behaviour was his opus magus.

Social source share

..........somebody else picks the records.....

Never listened to his show, but I believe this to be true......as I was once told by whom, and I reckon it even came from the horses mouth though my memory is vague on that!

And no, I'm not going to reveal who if it's not public knowledge. .....besides which it may no longer be the case as this was some time ago, or indeed the guy in question may have only put together a one off show for him. .. .

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I've been to a couple of his Funk 'n' Soul things at the Band on the Wall and enjoyed 'em. I have mates who don't like Northern who really rate them. I can't knock him for doing anything to make a few quid and he is very friendly and enthusiastic. I give him a lot of credit for promoting the best of new music on his BBC 6 show; for example Smoove & Turrell. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest son of stan

It's definitely true that the records are selected by someone else. And if you listen closely, there are bits of his show when he talks about records where he is clearly reading off a script.

I don't blame the fella for earning a few quid. The bbc seem to have this idea that stoopid Joe Public will only listen to a music show if it is presented by a 'celebrity'....

By the way, anyone hear Gilles Peterson the other week where he did the hour before Craig Charles came on playing some proper, proper Blackpool Mecca type records? Bit of a needle there I thought.

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Seriously?

The issue is that he has a spot with the BBC and so, therefore, has a degree of exposure that very few have. Before anyone on here starts to moan it might be worth considering some of the individuals on this site who have attempted to engage with the 'whore of Babylon' (his show on the BBC) in an attempt to further their careers. They know who they are.

As a DJ he has no technical skills and is clearly working according to the dictates of the BBC. I'm so far ahead he could kiss my arse twice and still be behind me.

Rob Alias

:)

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

He definitely didn't show any DJ skills when I saw him 'live' a couple of months back. My friend was the warm up DJ and told me that CG had a pre mixed CD going for at least part of his set. What was more stupid was he pretended to be mixing the songs in. Farcical.   

Butchered a Marvin Gaye track as well!

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Never listened to his show, but I believe this to be true......as I was once told by whom, and I reckon it even came from the horses mouth though my memory is vague on that!

And no, I'm not going to reveal who if it's not public knowledge. .....besides which it may no longer be the case as this was some time ago, or indeed the guy in question may have only put together a one off show for him. .. .

Cheers,

Mark R

Are you really certain how uncertain you are?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Seem to remember he's had a stint as a radio DJ before - Kiss FM (when it actually played soul music) - late 80's or early 90's ?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Yeah. He did pop up on there. There was some kind of crisis where a lot of their original djs got sacked or walked out..I remember tuning in one day and all of a sudden there were the likes of Craig Charles and Lilly Savage presenting shows..

Social source share

Ive seen Craig a few times myself .. last one at Glasto this year ... and he span some good tunes .... but even I can't defend a fellow Scouser that has no real skills as a DJ what so ever and is very hard to listen to on the radio , trying to string together a scripted monologue in a very disjointed way. It is hard to listen to him sometimes, especially when he interviews someone :(

But one thing in his defence is that he does have a history with music and started his career in the 80's as a performance poet, gaining local respect and being asked to perform live with local bands. However his knowledge of soul and funk is questionable and his skills as a DJ are minimal ... think Im better and have a better voice ... Sorry Craig :(

Social source share

When he first appeared on TV as the arrogant scouse poet I couldn't stand him, and when I saw he was in Red Dwarfe I refused to watch it just because he was in it. Shame that because years later I watched some Red Dwarf and really enjoyed it.

I know people change as they get older, but once a t**t always a t**t.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

He gets a couple of gigs a year in Darlington and is reported that he is paid £1000's for each night.

It is also reported to be the worst soul / funk night many people have been to.

As it happens i've never been as I agree 100% with the original post.

I've listened to his show in the past and turned it off after about 20 minutes. It sounds to me that he is playing the most inferior records on both scenes Soul & Funk ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!