News: The Contours and Dennis Edwards - Just A Little Misunderstanding: Kent CD

Chalky

"Billy Gordon was soon in trouble with the law and replaced by Joe Stubbs but not before the group had laid down "Baby Hit And Run". Previously unreleased but saw the light of day in the UK on a MFP LP (with Dennis Edwards lead dubbed in) and became a huge dance floor favourite on the UK Northern Soul scene."

It was originally released in 1974 on 7" as TMG 886

Social source share

"Billy Gordon was soon in trouble with the law and replaced by Joe Stubbs but not before the group had laid down "Baby Hit And Run". Previously unreleased but saw the light of day in the UK on a MFP LP (with Dennis Edwards lead dubbed in) and became a huge dance floor favourite on the UK Northern Soul scene."

It was originally released in 1974 on 7" as TMG 886

The LP came first as far as I am aware.  The point was it never saw a release at the time of recording and even when it did it was not the original recording.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Both are from 1974,  but the single release on TMG dates from February 1974 and doesnt mention the LP (..."Taken from"). So thers a good chance it predates the LP. Still theres a possibility of course the LP was released during the cold month of January..

The 45 wouldn't be "taken from" as the lp wasn't put out by Motown.  I will check the sleeve notes to see what they say and correct if necessary to put your mind at rest  :thumbsup::D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Both MFP and TMG were EMI owned labels.  Motown had last word in which label was about to release whatever title. I really think the 7" was earlier, first because of the date (02/74) and second because no record company would re-release a tune already been used on your budget imprint (MFP) on your "prime" label (TMG). Usually its the other way round.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Both MFP and TMG were EMI owned labels.  Motown had last word in which label was about to release whatever title. I really think the 7" was earlier, first because of the date (02/74) and second because no record company would re-release a tune already been used on your budget imprint (MFP) on your "prime" label (TMG). Usually its the other way round.

Although slightly before my time I'm pretty sure it was played off the LP then the single was released due to demand created.

I'm sure some of our more senior brethren can confirm, I was at the youth club stage and can remember buying the single around 1974/5

Social source share

Marc, I'm happy to be proved wrong and will amend the article, just give me the facts.  The vocal on this cd wasn't on the LP or the 45.

Social source share

I remember it well, the LP came out quite a time before the 45 which was only issued when demand from LP plays enforced it. One of the dates-probably the LP release- must be wrong

That backs up what I am lead to believe. I have read at one time a date of 1972 for the LP.  

Is there an earlier Dutch release?

having been disbanded for a few years by the early 70's, I guess Motown believed there was no or little money to be made from a group that didn't exist and were happy for a budget LP company to issue the material?  When they saw the errors of their ways and saw that Baby hit And Run was a big hit in the clubs they decided to belatedly try and make a few bucks themselves.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

That backs up what I am lead to believe. I have read at one time a date of 1972 for the LP.  

Is there an earlier Dutch release?

having been disbanded for a few years by the early 70's, I guess Motown believed there was no or little money to be made from a group that didn't exist and were happy for a budget LP company to issue the material?  When they saw the errors of their ways and saw that Baby hit And Run was a big hit in the clubs they decided to belatedly try and make a few bucks themselves.

That's about it. Around the same time I applied for a job as a plugger at Motown, told them they should release There's A Ghost In My House and I Ain't Going Nowhere, I didn't get the job, Ghost came out as an A side and was a huge hit, Nowhere was stuck on a two track B side of a 3 track single and got............ .nowhere.
Social source share

That's about it. Around the same time I applied for a job as a plugger at Motown, told them they should release There's A Ghost In My House and I Ain't Going Nowhere, I didn't get the job, Ghost came out as an A side and was a huge hit, Nowhere was stuck on a two track B side of a 3 track single and got............ .nowhere.

We have seen it so often with Motown always behind the curve, at least Ace/Kent are doing a good job for them with these releases.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!