What Do People Think About Hit & Runners

Pete S

You know, people who never post anything but appear once to post a record list then disappear...I've only been on here a week and I've made 176 posts, admittedly most of them are rubbish but at least I've tried to join in. Shame cos it's a great forum, it would be nice if more people were posting IMO.

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think it would be a good idea to create a similar introduction system like those group sessions for addicts.

'Hello everyone.... my name is Brian and I am addicted to Scotch eggs'

Then we can all do our best to make them feel welcome and help him get rid of his problems (...or records!)

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

PMSL...just notived...my avatar has shrunk.  Think I'll have to make Eggy bigger  :thumbsup:

link

You mean turn him into a double Yolker ??? :huh:

Social source share

You know, people who never post anything but appear once to post a record list then disappear...I've only been on here a week and I've made 176 posts, admittedly most of them are rubbish but at least I've tried to join in.  Shame cos it's a great forum, it would be nice if more people were posting IMO.

link

There must be a hell of a vertical garden fence at least 10 miles high out there!!!

Cheers Billy and the giants!

Social source share

You know, people who never post anything but appear once to post a record list then disappear...I've only been on here a week and I've made 176 posts, admittedly most of them are rubbish but at least I've tried to join in.  Shame cos it's a great forum, it would be nice if more people were posting IMO.

link

Fair Doos Pete. I get plenty of enjoyment reading this forum so I've now joined and am prepared to chuck in my unpopular and ill informed viewpoint from time to time.

Hope the big lads don't pick on me though...

Godz

Social source share

Fair Doos Pete. I get plenty of enjoyment reading this forum so I've now joined and am prepared to chuck in my unpopular and ill informed viewpoint from time to time.

Godz

link

You'll be fine on here Godz..no big lads (or lasses), all the same except some got bigger mouths :thumbsup::huh::lol::lol:

Social source share

You'll be fine on here Godz..no big lads (or lasses), all the same except some got bigger mouths  :thumbsup:   :huh:   :lol:   :lol:

link

That's very welcoming boys

:D

I'll be interested in seeing your response to my "soulful Instru" post, Chalky :huh:

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

You'll be fine on here Godz..no big lads (or lasses), all the same except some got bigger mouths  :thumbsup:   :huh:   :lol:   :huh:

link

Just dont go near the Soul Source Championship Dart Team forum , the evil lasses on there will give you real grief , I can tell you from experience :lol:

Social source share

Just dont go near the Soul Source Championship Dart Team forum , the evil lasses on there will give you real grief , I can tell you from experience :lol:

link

Never got the hang of darts. Just can't keep 'em in me claws. And the old firey breath usually engulfs the board

blush.gif

Godz

ps any body remember The Moons - Gammera getting played on the scene? I could have him!

:P

G

Social source share

For myself I think it's great when new members come in with a burst of energy and lots of posts.  After my long break from the scene, I had a zillion questions about things I'd missed.  A warm welcome to ya Pete.

link

yeah id been out of the scene for years, marriage and kids etc but then they started a venue in my home town and we have been regular attenders since and got back into scene with a vengeance allthough 22 years on cant quite dance like i used to we still comand respect from the younger attenders. It was this new found energy and enthusiasm that led me to this forum and like Pete ive only been posting a week or so but loving every minute. KTF.

Social source share

Just to clarify, I was on the site when Mike first set it up and he used some of my old articles and stuff, so I do know a lot of the people here, probably best I haven't been on last couple of years as my had hasn't quite been in the right place and I am to diplomacy what George Bush is to world peace....anyway as I am now sedated most of the time I thought it was safe for me to join in blush.gif

Social source share

Welcome to you too Gary!

As for you Pete, your diplomatic skills have already been well noted here in Kidderminster!  I'm somewhat trenchant in my views too ('73 was the best year, crossover = supper club soul! etc!)

link

I agree 70s were the better years for soul (probably because thats more my era) and venues, interestingly the old northern soul venue in my hometown from the 70s which was long dis and misused has now been renovated and opened as an add-on nightclub type venue as part fo a pub, but every first sunday of the month they have a northern night as the DJ is a brother and they have a guest DJ who plays some mega-rare stuff that we cant hear anywhere else, the venue has a definate 70s feel to it and its like coming home. Next one is this sunday. Its gonna be good.

Social source share

There's nothing illegal about posting up a sales list, events etc, particularly when there are appropriate section on a forum to do so. Although only ever posting 3 times in order to sell one L.P. might be considered as taking the piss

There is always a "honeymoon" period where people post and reply to anything and everything until they get bored, a bit like bidding on ebay!

On most forums there is a spectrum of contributors; on one hand there are people who know each other both socially, (niters, soul nights etc) and through the forum, as a meeting place. On the other hand there are 'anoraks' who know the most bizarre details on the subject. In both cases the "newbie" could feel quite intimidated and may only put their head above the parapet once before being shot down and then shrinking into their shell. If you've stumbled across northern and heard Judy Street but on making an inquiry get the piss ripped out of you, you are not very likely to venture back.

Topics on forums tend to be pretty easy to reply to with a monosyllable and that make it very hard to keep a thread moving forward and hence the input dies off - Do you like sprouts? No, end of story!

Feedback, now here's the rub! Take a look through a forum and see what feedback is given - F*** all in most cases (God knows why Mike bothers!) Take a look at the "comments" next to articles, photos and sound submitted, to say it was minimal would be an over statement! Commitment and enthusiasm wane very quickly with out any constructive or appreciative input

Social source share

I've just been looking through the "membership". It seems that the vast majority of people who have registered have never bothered to post anything. This surprised me becaiuse when I stumbled across this site a few days ago I was stuck by how lively the main forum was. What I really like was the variety of views and the diversity of the styles of black music being discussed. I am sure that the majority who have never posted can make the forums even more interesting and enlighening. Please post, people!

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

It's the same on every forum - 25 or so really active members, 25 twice a week posters and the rest never post anything, which is of course fine but a bit pointless. You can't really feel a part of something unless you join in.

As for newbies being intimidated there is only one way to deal with this if someone tries it on, and that's to fight fire with fire.

Anyone remember, what forum was it now, when some lad from the States innocently asked about when Billy Ocean was big on the NS scene and Ian levine absolutely slaughtered this bloke totally unnecesarily, the bloke left, we gave Ian some stick and he picked up his ball and stomped off and created ADVANCED NORTHERN SOUL for the NS elite only. And the rest is history. Had it been me, I would have told ian to meet me outside the KFC in Ealing and set my dog on him :lol:

Social source share

Godz

link

Totally agree with you Godzilla. I've also red the forum for a while and then decided to join, because I think it's a very good one.

But it's also not to easy for a 26 years old german guy to post to every topic. I mean, what should I say about forgotten clubs? But I'm here to learn something from you about the music I felt hopelessly in love with and the "scene" to it. I read the forum every day and try my best to post something that is not complete shite.

I also thought about putting sales lists in here, if I've got something for sale. But not as a complete newie. I thought about it, because in my opinion i don't get good prices for my records on ebay. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, when I put a record(Bobby Williams-I've only got my self to blame) on ebay and get about $140 for it and a guy in the USA puts it in the same category and gets over $250. Pete you know some prices I got over the past few weeks, they are not the best are they?

cheers, Martin W.

Social source share

On most forums there is a spectrum of contributors; on one hand there are people who know each other both socially, (niters, soul nights etc) and through the forum, as a meeting place. On the other hand there are ‘anoraks’ who know the most bizarre details on the subject. In both cases the “newbie” could feel quite intimidated and may only put their head above the parapet once before being shot down and then shrinking into their shell. If you’ve stumbled across northern and heard Judy Street but on making an inquiry get the piss ripped out of you, you are not very likely to venture back.

link

Totally agree with all your sentiments, Hippo.

I actually joined this Forum over 18 months ago, and was that embarrased by my lack of 'knowledge' and was too afraid to post. I maybe posted a couple of times on threads that I could relate to (Younger generation getting into the scene and so on).

But in the end I decided not to bother anymore. It's only through getting to know people socially that I have had the courage to start posting on here. This all may be down to my persona, but I can relate to those 'newbies' who post for the first time, seeming to apologise for asking a question.

When I started posting again I had to re-join because I couldn't remember what name I had used last time! It had been that long since I posted.

Old heads returning to the scene, or joining this site for the first time will find it a lot easier than someone like myself.

I still make a lot of mistakes when I post, and am conscious of what I am 'bringing to the table' compared to most others in terms of contribution.

I feel that had I not got to know some of the people on here socially, I would certainly found it difficult to come back on this site.

I really enjoy reading all the insights, tips and stories. It's invaluable for someone like me who's been on the 'active' scene for only a couple of years. Before that I was an infrequent 'attendee' of events, with exception of Queens Hall at Bradford from 88-92.

I've gained so much knowledge that I would never have learnt without this site (and what I do know you could write on a postage stamp!), and met some wonderful people along the way.

What I'm trying to get across is that this (Soul Source and forums like it) is a wonderful tool, and if used the right way can only broaden peoples horizons and in some cases enable people to meet like-minded souls.

It's also a fantastic method of relaying news & events. Speaking as someone not involved pre-computer, how the hell did everyone communicate?

And ask yourself how many new people have you met, or got in touch with again as a direct result of the Internet and the likes of Soul Source?

Keep it Soulful,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, when I put a record(Bobby Williams-I've only got my self to blame) on ebay and get about $140 for it and a guy in the USA puts it in the same category and gets over $250. Pete you know some prices I got over the past few weeks, they are not the best are they?

cheers, Martin W.

link

No they aren't mate, and I don't understand why, they were good records. I get the same though - when I sell soul stuff on ebay (which is only after the item has been on my list 3 times, reduced every time, and not sold!) I rarely get market value - when I sell reggae it goes over the top though. There's obviously an absolutely massive amount of fixing going on, either that or the knowledge level amongst the majority of buyers is poor - Laura Green reissue for over 50 quid and so on.

I've never been one for auctions, I know how much I paid for something and how much I want for it. Lets just say for instance, I bought an All Of A Sudden recently for $65, thats a great price because it works out about £35. Now I've seen this listed at silly prices lately, £100, £125 even £150. However, I only paid £35 so I'll sell it for £75. Doubled my money and also been able to let someone get it at a fair price. It's far better for me to do it like that than ask £125 and have it in my box for a year gathering dust.

Anyway Martin what I'm saying basically is - sell me your records and don't bother with ebay :lol:

Social source share

It's also a fantastic method of relaying news & events. Speaking as someone not involved pre-computer, how the hell did everyone communicate?

link

In the "olden" days we had blues and soul and also with generally only 1 or two main weekly venues or allnighters(ie Wigan and Mecca)(oops not forgetting Cleethorpes). We generally met up on a Saturday night and verballed to our hearts content about the next days alldayers. Nowadays there appears to be more allnighters but not as regular and playing a more varied style of sound within the general umbrella of Rare or Northern Soul. Therefore more organisation on a national scale must be required to meet up with fellow soulies.

Oh we also had telephones that were connected to our houses by wires that we could use occasionally.!!

Paul

Social source share

In the "olden" days we had blues and soul and also with generally only 1 or two main weekly venues or allnighters(ie Wigan and Mecca)(oops not forgetting Cleethorpes).  We generally met up on a Saturday night and verballed to our hearts content about the next days alldayers.  Nowadays there appears to be more allnighters but not as regular and playing a more varied style of sound within the general umbrella of Rare or Northern Soul. Therefore more organisation on a national scale must be required to meet up with fellow soulies.

Oh we also had telephones that were connected to our houses by wires that we could use occasionally.!!

Paul

link

No paper cups & string for you eh Paul? Your family must have had a few quid!!! :lol:

My question was a little tongue in cheek, I know of the various Mags B&S, Manifesto etc. But do you not think that the level of information regarding events is much greater now than it ever was.

For instance, we had a 'do' in Leeds at the weekend. People from Portsmouth, Kings Lynn, Cheltenham, Wolverhampton, Derby, Harrogate, Darlington, Manchester etc all attended this event because of the internet.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Jamie

Social source share

No they aren't mate, and I don't understand why, they were good records.  I get the same though - when I sell soul stuff on ebay (which is only after the item has been on my list 3 times, reduced every time, and not sold!) I rarely get market value - when I sell reggae it goes over the top though.  There's obviously an absolutely massive amount of fixing going on, either that or the knowledge level amongst the majority of buyers is poor - Laura Green reissue for over 50 quid and so on.

I've never been one for auctions, I know how much I paid for something and how much I want for it.  Lets just say for instance, I bought an All Of A Sudden recently for $65, thats a great price because it works out about £35.  Now I've seen this listed at silly prices lately, £100, £125 even £150.  However, I only paid £35 so I'll sell it for £75.  Doubled my money and also been able to let someone get it at a fair price.  It's far better for me to do it like that than ask £125 and have it in my box for a year gathering dust.

Anyway Martin what I'm saying basically is - sell me your records and don't bother with ebay  :P

link

I also saw the Laura Green reissue, I've sold mine in august for 15 Euro, if I still got it wright, and I was happy about the price. I think for ebay sellers who don't sell regularly it has something to do with luck or something I'm unable to describe.

But I also have to say, that I got some stuff from ebay at fair prices, so it's probably something like give and take.

And off course if I need some money I'll come back to you directly, so ebay won't get it's fees:thumbsup: :lol:

Social source share

Random thoughts...

Maybe there is more we could do to help newbies to the Forum? A kind of "Hi, I'm new here" section - this has been touched on before, I think.

Personally I've never been afraid of revealing my lack of knowledge, which is sketchy at best. But maybe others are a little more shy? Is there some way we could encourage newbies to ask questions even if they consider them dumb? One thing is true about soul fans, they love to share knowledge and generally "show off" (in the nicest possible way!)

It's hard to respond to every point on every thread, but I guess I'm not alone in a silent nod of appreciation towards some forgotten oldie or gem of a memory that pops up on here.

Oh, and I STILL feel like a newbie too!

Social source share

Random thoughts...

Maybe there is more we could do to help newbies to the Forum?  A kind of "Hi, I'm new here" section - this has been touched on before, I think.

Personally I've never been afraid of revealing my lack of knowledge, which is sketchy at best.  But maybe others are a little more shy? Is there some way we could encourage newbies to ask questions even if they consider them dumb? One thing is true about soul fans, they love to share knowledge and generally "show off" (in the nicest possible way!)

It's hard to respond to every point on every thread, but I guess I'm not alone in a silent nod of appreciation towards some forgotten oldie or gem of a memory that pops up on here.

link

Im back on the scene after avery long break and one of the pleasures of coming back was hearing the four vandals-wrong side of town, what do others think of this track? Is it accepted?

Social source share

Random thoughts...

Maybe there is more we could do to help newbies to the Forum?  A kind of "Hi, I'm new here" section - this has been touched on before, I think.

Personally I've never been afraid of revealing my lack of knowledge, which is sketchy at best.  But maybe others are a little more shy? Is there some way we could encourage newbies to ask questions even if they consider them dumb? One thing is true about soul fans, they love to share knowledge and generally "show off" (in the nicest possible way!)

link

I've read your posts before Dayo, and can honestly say there is a difference between mine & yours 'lack of knowledge'.

Perhaps if I can be so bold as to say your 'lack of knowledge' is that you were away from the active scene for a few years.

My 'lack of knowledge' is that I was never on it! Not through choice, but through age. I love listenening to stories that my 'Old Man' tells me about his days at the Mecca & Cleethorpes with such envy.

It's like trying to play catch-up, and I get frustrated at my lack of knowledge. I just can't learn it quick enough, I'm like a big, hungry learning machine that's gone out of control and just won a learning competition.

Going back to somewhere near the original post I can understand why people join this site and perhaps don't make many posts. I'm lucky in getting to know people so feel a bit more relaxed posting now.

Even though I do look like a pudding sometimes with the posts I make - If you don't make mistakes then you can't learn!

Jamie

Social source share

For instance, we had a 'do' in Leeds at the weekend. People from Portsmouth, Kings Lynn, Cheltenham, Wolverhampton, Derby, Harrogate, Darlington, Manchester etc all attended this event because of the internet.

Not forgetting your headline DJ from KENT!

Social source share

Jamie...you are a pudding :D ...........Jo Ann Garrett.......released in 1935........ :P .

Thats for all your merciless ribbing that you and your Leeds bullies pour on me.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Even though I do look like a pudding sometimes with the posts I make - If you don't make mistakes then you can't learn!

Jamie

link

You little sticky toffee you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jamie...you are a pudding :D ...........Jo Ann Garrett.......released in 1935........ :D .

Thats for all your merciless ribbing that you and your Leeds bullies pour on me.... :thumbsup:

link

Us southern girls will look after you Brett, we won't let those nasty Leeds boys get you :P

Social source share

Jamie

I know what you're going through and we've all been there. I guess I was an "anorak" before the term was invented. Used to make lists of "sounds" advertised by venues like the Pendulum in Blues and Soul. Whenever I eventually got to hear them, I would tick them off! How sad is that!?

As an aside, sometimes I was disappointed on eventual hearing; Sounds of Lane and Lorenzo Manley both spring to mind.

Back to my point; knowledge counts for something, but it's nothing compared to genuine love and appreciation of the music. That's really all that matters.

Cliche I know, but, it's what's in the grooves that counts...

Social source share

us nice people on the darts team did a big thank you to mike a while ago for the work he puts into the site. I have also bought him a very special christmas present from us all

Social source share

Jamie...you are a pudding :D ...........Jo Ann Garrett.......released in 1935........ :P .

link

Well hark at you!

The best bit is when I checked last night I thought for a minute I was right - Then realised it was the the record number '1959'

How funny would that have been if I had posted up declaring how right I was????!!!! :D:D:D

I think my favourite saying at the mo' sums it up 'Damn My Feeble Mind'

Jamie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!