Soul Sam Super Star

Soul Sam is one of the unlikliest pop-culture characters in Britain. A DJ, a teacher and a lifelong devotee of the scene, he has broken more great records than most of us will ever own. This forum is quick to criticise, so I'd like to hear of great records he broke, great moments you remember and great Soul Sam trivia. In true Channel 4 style we will end the thread with 'Top Ten Soul-Sam Moments'.

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Soul Sam is one of the unlikliest pop-culture characters in Britain. A DJ, a teacher and a lifelong devotee of the scene, he has broken more great records than most of us will ever own. This forum is quick to criticise, so I'd like to hear of great records he broke, great moments you remember and great Soul Sam trivia. In true Channel 4 style we will end the thread with 'Top Ten Soul-Sam Moments'.

Remember one time, Sam playing casonova by coffee in the 8ts at the winter gardens cleethorpes, to a full dance floor a few months later the record hit the charts. have to agree with your sentiments he has kept the scene "real" over a long period of time, I know he isn't everyones cup of tea but I like him and over th eyears he has played some cracking tunes and long may he continue.

Social source share

Back in 77/78 I was involved in running a club called The Concorde Soul Club in Burnley. A small back function room in a pub with a dancefloor we used to have to clip together each time we used it and pack it away after. This club ran for 3 years and at one stage we had over 200 soulies in. Every week we had either Sam, Pat Brady or Richard Searling on. On the second anniversay we had all three on and when it came to pay them (10 squidleys + petrol), I informed the three musketeers that I'd spent all the takings on 16 Magnum bottles of champagne, 200 Hollands meat pies and a couple of barrels of peas for a "soulie supper" for everyone! Sam's response.."make sure I get at least one pie, I've not eaten all day!" Not unusual for Mr Barnfather to trek up to Burnley on a Wednesday night in his old E Type,spin a few, get a reaction, have a chat with everyone before heading home at midnight. Happy Days! Top Bloke!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

I agree with both the above statements. If Soul Sam is on anywhere near Doncaster & I can make it I'm there. Plays some excellent records and its always a musical education when he is on. How about getting him as a guest on the Soul Shack ?

Soul on Sam

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Northern Nige

Not gig related but

When I was just getting into the scene (aged about 17), and starting collecting, he visited my dad, who at the time was big into amateur radio, as was Sam, I remember him bringing a handfull of discs for me, Velvet Satins, Sounds of Lane, Epitome of Sound and a few others I forget now. I will always remember it till I die, very kind and a great man.

As for tracks, I loved 'The Pearls - Shooting high' that he did on a tape, amazing :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Remember one time, Sam playing casonova by coffee in the 8ts at the winter gardens cleethorpes, to a full dance floor a few months later the record hit the charts. have to agree with your sentiments he has kept the scene "real" over a long period of time, I know he isn't everyones cup of tea but I like him and over th eyears he has played some cracking tunes and long may he continue.

...Despite my gentle 'in jest' comments in a previous posting about some of Sam's less-memorable 70s spins, I can only agree that the scene needs more DJ's like him. He's been a cornerstone of the scene for decades, and hopefully will be for decades more. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the man and his music policy. It's my hope that both will continue to enliven our nights out for many years to come...

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

And at Soul Source, it's all about the threads baby... 43 replies, 1663 hits on the great man himself. Surrounding a hip modern tune played at a controversial night ...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ic=27152&hl=

Social source share

I dont like 75% of what Sam plays, BUT his enthusiasm, willing ness to try new things and his dedication, sure get my vote :lol:

P.S he is still the Devil :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

i remember upstairs in the modern room at the locarno niter (early 80s) we decided that we were gonna have a pajama party (at the time this was a bit of a fad on the jazz funk scene - and so this was done a bit tongue in cheek)

anyway, a load of us turned up wearing pajama's, carrying teddies, etc and when sam came on the decks he was wearing some very becoming pjs

arthur fenn turned to us and said something like: "the bugger, he's wearing the pajamas i borrowed him when he stayed over at mine a few weeks ago - i wondered where they had gone!"

oh yeah, and he has played a couple of good tunes over the years :ohmy:

Social source share

martin barnfather, cleethorpes late 1975 paid a fortune for james fountain just a week before he got 'creamed' by the british release, don't matter, he's still the man, number one for taste in SOUL music of the dancing kind (whatever decade) and enthusiasm.

Social source share

HES NEVER LET ME DOWN ANYTIME IVE HEARD HIM DJ.(same taste ya see)

CLAREMOUNT SOUL NITES EDINBURGH LATE 80S EARLY 90S.

WHEN HE WAS SPINNING GLORIA SCOTT / CASE OF TO MUCH LOVE MAKING(the days when thought to be lp only)

KINDA STARTED THE REBIRTH OF 70S & MODERN CROSSING INTO THE MAINSTREAM NORTHERN ROOMS. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Controversial without being pig headed or egotistical, intelligent without being arrogant and superb across the board taste without prejudice..which of course has meant that he's been involved with some absolutely amazing stuff and some from the other end of the scale..but that all part of the legend !

I've never heard him play a bad set. The man is a true gentleman with a genuine love of the music beyond his own ego from the Modern end to the Northern end. The Northern scene treasures him and the Modern scene should bow down to him as the true Godfather. And seeing as it seems now he invented the term 'Modern soul', even more so !

Social source share

Who?

biggrin.gif:D

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

The mans a legend,first heard him in 77 and never dreamed that 29yrs later would have him as a resident at middleton its an honour.

Something that happened just the other week at Middleton Sums him up for me. Dance floor heaving ,think He,d just played Margaret Littles or something so what does he do next ? of course ! he puts on a banging soulful house tune from 96 ( the great Michael Proctor ). The Dancers never batted an eyelid.Absolutley priceless.

Social source share

Mr. Martin Barnfather:

I would suggest nobody on the scene has been more dedicated to our music, he is the Grand-daddy of Northern Soul. He would and does often travel 100s of miles just to buy one record, if he thinks he can use it in his spots. Soul Sam is a major, major cog in the scene. His enthusiasm is unrivalled and such a nice bloke with it.

Coops

"martin barnfather, cleethorpes late 1975 paid a fortune for james fountain just a week before he got 'creamed' by the british release"

Sorry that certainly wasn't Soul Sam who got creamed, it was me...one of my many dealings with the lovable rogues from Colony Records, Nottingham.

Social source share

We are proud to have Sam as a resident at The Orwell.

Speaking of my experiences with Sam from an Orwell perspective...........

Every month he does something different with the accent being firmly on the ability to get people on the dance floor, whether it be Margaret Littles or The O'Jays 'I love music' (played at The Orwell a couple of months ago!). His set at The Orwell always depends on what the guest DJ has done in the hour before BUT he always delivers!!!!

He has that 'it' factor and we love him for it

I echo all the comments above from al lthe SS members and then some - a true legend of the scene :Dtongue.gif:D

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

1983 to 87 I'd say he was the main man for playing Modern Obscurities first! Not sure about breaking em ? .

Dave Raitricks Rock City Notts niter , was phenomanel , with a a huge turn over of sounds too many some say ( and some Sam still plays now ) . Robin S may have a list . ...

Hardcore soulies at that small doo . Robin , Adey ( from derby) Nigel Parker , Simon T,

Ray Phillips , Duncan !! .

Ronnie Barnes "You got me " Hughes always sticks out for me though!!

I'd like to hear the other side , meant to be just as good ?

Rock on, Martin LOL :D

Simon Murray biggrin.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Mr. Martin Barnfather:

I would suggest nobody on the scene has been more dedicated to our music, he is the Grand-daddy of Northern Soul. He would and does often travel 100s of miles just to buy one record, if he thinks he can use it in his spots. Soul Sam is a major, major cog in the scene. His enthusiasm is unrivalled and such a nice bloke with it.

Coops

"martin barnfather, cleethorpes late 1975 paid a fortune for james fountain just a week before he got 'creamed' by the british release"

Sorry that certainly wasn't Soul Sam who got creamed, it was me...one of my many dealings with the lovable rogues from Colony Records, Nottingham.

i am so sorry john i thought YOU sold it to him!!!! ooops! writt in the post, litigation, colapse of family and home, out on the streets, what have i started. still it sounded more fun if it was the SS himself. :D

Social source share

only been into northern since early 75 but sam has been one of the few djs who's got me dancin to at least 75% of his set, even through all his 'style' prefference changes, even now. has he got rid of that old MGB GT yet? :D

Social source share

Guest johnm

Something that happened just the other week at Middleton Sums him up for me. Dance floor heaving ,think He,d just played Margaret Littles or something so what does he do next ? of course ! he puts on a banging soulful house tune from 96 ( the great Michael Proctor ). The Dancers never batted an eyelid.Absolutley priceless.

What was the Michael Proctor tune can you remember?

Social source share

What was the Michael Proctor tune can you remember?

sams playlist from dublin july, say's it all....

Joe Jama - My Life

Margaret Little - Love finds a way

Belita Woods - Foolish Girl

Ellipsis - People

Del Larks - Job Opening

Jimmy Bo Horne - Just Can't Speak

Montclairs - Hey you, dont fight it

Joseph Webster - my love is so strong

Tommy Ridgely - My Love Gets Stronger

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories

Hamilton Movement - She's Gone

Wee - Try Me

Earnestine Eady - Lets Talk It Over

Eddie Whitehead - Just Your Fool

primers - how does it grab you

al gardner - sweet baby

cashmeres - dont let the door..

al williams - i am nothing

little major williams - girl dont leave me

flourescent smogg - all my life

neurons - all my life

dj genesis - tribute to betty

michael proctor - let love live

john & weirdest - cant get over these memories

mr soul - what happened to yesterday

johnny rogers - gonna make a change

chuck holiday - just cant trust nobody

Edited by stomper45
Social source share

sams playlist from dublin july, say's it all....

Joe Jama - My Life

Margaret Little - Love finds a way

Belita Woods - Foolish Girl

Ellipsis - People

Del Larks - Job Opening

Jimmy Bo Horne - Just Can't Speak

Montclairs - Hey you, dont fight it

Joseph Webster - my love is so strong

Tommy Ridgely - My Love Gets Stronger

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories

Hamilton Movement - She's Gone

Wee - Try Me

Earnestine Eady - Lets Talk It Over

Eddie Whitehead - Just Your Fool

primers - how does it grab you

al gardner - sweet baby

cashmeres - dont let the door..

al williams - i am nothing

little major williams - girl dont leave me

flourescent smogg - all my life

neurons - all my life

dj genesis - tribute to betty

michael proctor - let love live

john & weirdest - cant get over these memories

mr soul - what happened to yesterday

johnny rogers - gonna make a change

chuck holiday - just cant trust nobody

Class... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Always been a fan since I first saw him at The Raven in Whitchurch 197? ( anyone know when that would be) and still see him at The Orwell - He's the man!

REMEMBER SAM AT THE RAVEN AND LATER AT THE OAK HOTEL....MODERN NIGHTS IN SHREWSBURY (FIRST PLACE TO PLAY ´CHARLES JOHNSON).AND EVERYWHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.....ALWAYS UP FOR A CHAT......NOT FULL OF HIMSELF...TOP MAN !!!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest gibber

A name for the northern soul`s hall of fame. whistling.gif

One time i sat in a lounge type room being used as a modern room at a venue early hrs one morning ,there were just 5 of us and Sam came in and opened his box of records and he played a blinder.The man played some great sounds , behind the decks his feet and legs were tapping away he was really getting into his music and loving every minute of it regardless of the amount of people in the room.

A quick question. when i phoned Sam for a booking,i asked for Martin who do you ask for Sam or Martin?

Just wondering. :yes:

Edited by gibber
Social source share

Love the guy to bits....a true legend.

Anyone who has ever DJ`d with Sam will know he is a real bugger to get off the decks! One time at Albrighton with 5 mins to go he said " three more?"...and proceded to play three 12" and did`nt cut any of them short. Then if he is following you he is up there fifteen mins before his spot looking at his watch asking "How many more?".....

Dodger once "insulted" me on another list calling me "The son of Sam"......best compliment I`ve ever had!!

Chris

Social source share

Early this year Martin came with us to Bamberg, Germany. I had to drive there as he is not keen on flying. We did it as a 12 hour straight drive and neither one of us had had that much sleep before, say about 4 hours. Pete, from Beverly shared the driving. Martin talk none stop, the whole trip about records, old venues and his life as a teacher. On ever subject we discussed, he chipped in with such gusto. But after 10 hours he was looking a bit beat. Then 1/2 an hour out he saw a sign for Bamberg, his excitment level rose, he started talking about what he might play. He was so up for it. Over the course of the weekend he did 3 sets one northern, one modern and a rarest of the rare, all from one small box, with hardly an repeats. He had time for everyone who wanted to talk to him, even when he was clearly all in. He is just unique and I just hope that I can keep that level enthusiasm for as many years as Martin has, and I hope he stays around for many more years. The scene would be a much more empty place without him.

A great SOULMAN and a friend :yes:thumbsup.gif:yes:

Dave

Social source share

Early this year Martin came with us to Bamberg, Germany. I had to drive there as he is not keen on flying. We did it as a 12 hour straight drive and neither one of us had had that much sleep before, say about 4 hours. Pete, from Beverly shared the driving. Martin talk none stop, the whole trip about records, old venues and his life as a teacher. On ever subject we discussed, he chipped in with such gusto. But after 10 hours he was looking a bit beat. Then 1/2 an hour out he saw a sign for Bamberg, his excitment level rose, he started talking about what he might play. He was so up for it. Over the course of the weekend he did 3 sets one northern, one modern and a rarest of the rare, all from one small box, with hardly an repeats. He had time for everyone who wanted to talk to him, even when he was clearly all in. He is just unique and I just hope that I can keep that level enthusiasm for as many years as Martin has, and I hope he stays around for many more years. The scene would be a much more empty place without him.

A great SOULMAN and a friend :yes:thumbsup.gif:yes:

Dave

Just to help stop any confusion

We have one computer and two people using it. So post from Malayka sign Dave are from me, Post from Me sign me, are me. Now post from Malayka signed Malayka are her, and post from Me, signed Malayka are her, Hope that makes it clear :yes::D

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Get on the floor to this one.............yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

we should start a trend for soul sam masks so we can all pretend to be great djs like him :lol:

never tire of listening to his sets

doesnt have a computer doesnt carry headphones a trusty single box of 45ssss

a legend

thumbsup.gif:huh:

Social source share

Aint we humans so bizarre - because Soul Sam is so liked and respected he can get away with putting Michael Proctor on after Margaret Little or whatever. Was his choice brave or ridiculous you decide. I find it fascinating what some can do and others can't. You can imagine the reaction from people on forums if an unpopular DJ had tried this. This aint a pop at Sam (before some get so sensitive) as I respect the man and speak to him regularly at venues.

derek

Social source share

Dave Raitricks Rock City Notts niter , was phenomanel , Hardcore soulies at that small doo . Robin , Adey ( from derby) Nigel Parker , Simon T, Ray Phillips , Duncan !! .

Simon Murray

Simon - was chatting to Nigel Parker at Middleton recently as he'd come over with Carl Fortnum. I go back a long way with Nigel and over the years must've traded hundreds of records between us. onwards, derek

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i love half the stuff he plays these days.

so i can say that i think sam is brilliant! (half the time anyway thumbsup.gif )

he is always polite and friendly with me and always likes a little chat. nice bloke indeed :huh:

was sam ever a dancer? he does a little jig behind the decks but i have never seen him on the floor.

Shane

Social source share

i love half the stuff he plays these days.

so i can say that i think sam is brilliant! (half the time anyway thumbsup.gif )

he is always polite and friendly with me and always likes a little chat. nice bloke indeed :huh:

was sam ever a dancer? he does a little jig behind the decks but i have never seen him on the floor.

Shane

Maybe that's were Will Smith got the term 'Get alil' jiggy with it'

Social source share

I must agree...infact ,keep him and Gary Belcher..."Darn sarf" cos they are not wanted in the north midlands :thumbsup:

Regards...Bazza

Love him or loath him , Martin " Soul Sam " Barnfather deserves being presented with either a medal , a statue erecting in his honour or the declaration of national holiday for what he has contributed to this scene . His sheer enthusiasm ( which looks like never waning thank god ) for the continuence of the / our music is second to none . His track record for finding and having an " ear " and more so - championing - a good tune down the years ( was there a time when Sam was not around ? ) , is highly creditable & commendable . Long may this continue .

MALC BURTON

Social source share

Simon - was chatting to Nigel Parker at Middleton recently as he'd come over with Carl Fortnum. I go back a long way with Nigel and over the years must've traded hundreds of records between us. onwards, derek

Is he back on the scene then ... :thumbsup:

I

Social source share

Guest Dante

Obviously I don't know him 'cause I never been in a british nighter, but I've heard and read alot about him. I've seen some playlists and they're absolutely AMAZING!

He's one of the man I MUST know befor I die ( :P ) with Richard Searling and all of that living legends.

Cheers from Mexico

Dante

Social source share

True story. One night back in 1982, a few of us went to The Vic in Wolverhampton and we parked across the road in a little car park off a side street by the Prince Albert pub. Anyway Sam was the guest DJ. After a good night out, we went back to get in the car, and it wouldn't start - we'd run out of petrol. So the driver, bloke named Andy, said the only thing we could do was to syphon some petrol out of one of the 3 or 4 other cars left on the car park. He chose what I think was a green cavalier, nicked the petrol and our car started first time. Just as we were about to set off, Sam comes into the car park, so we have a little chat and then he says he'll see us again, and gets into his car...a green cavalier.

Oh shit, we'd nicked Sam's petrol and he'd got a long way to go home.

So Andy says to him, Sam you ought to check your petrol, apparently there's been a gang going round syphoning it, so he does and lo and behold, he's got no petrol. Andy then told him that he would give him half of his petrol so he could at least get to a garage. And so Andy emptied most of the tank back into where it had originally come from and Sam got off safely.

As we were pulling out of Wolverhampton, we got stopped by the police for having no lights on, and this Andy failed a breath test and me and the two other people had to walk home.

Those were the days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!