Soul Sam Super Star

Love him or loath him , Martin " Soul Sam " Barnfather deserves being presented with either a medal , a statue erecting in his honour or the declaration of national holiday for what he has contributed to this scene . His sheer enthusiasm ( which looks like never waning thank god ) for the continuence of the / our music is second to none . His track record for finding and having an " ear " and more so - championing - a good tune down the years ( was there a time when Sam was not around ? ) , is highly creditable & commendable . Long may this continue .

MALC BURTON

Dont get me wrong , I have the utmost respect for Sam. infact at the last skeggy weekender he without doubt did the best 2 or 3 spots of the weekend, but the modern stuff he plays does not go down well in the north midlands clubs..long long long may he carry on ..........BUT not in the north midlands

Regards....Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Simon - was chatting to Nigel Parker at Middleton recently as he'd come over with Carl Fortnum. I go back a long way with Nigel and over the years must've traded hundreds of records between us. onwards, derek

Derek

Got a telephone # &/or email for Nigel John, please PM me them. Otherwise send my love to him, Ang & Lauren.

Social source share

was sam ever a dancer? he does a little jig behind the decks but i have never seen him on the floor.

Shane

Yes he can dance too. Earlier this year in Spain he was encouraged onto the dancefloor by the SPanish folks when I dropped "It's a shame" by the Spinners on the decks. Quite a nifty mover he was too.

Social source share

Always been a fan since I first saw him at The Raven in Whitchurch 197? ( anyone know when that would be) and still see him at The Orwell - He's the man!

i remember him from there well even when it had its previous name 'the beefeater' from round 1972, lovely guy always gave me a lift home well he dropped me off halfway home in the middle of cheshire tarvin or tarporley or somewhere like that from there i almost never got a lift home arriving home sometimes the next day :yes: he was into allsorts even then, one night i couldnt get into the car for elvis presley l.ps, i said what are these thumbsup.gif he said hed been elvis d.j'ing a couple of nights earlier :ohmy:

my funny sam story would be from there in 73, we always arrived first and he was always waiting for us to proudly show off the new sounds seek approval etc, this one night he was extra specially excitable and beaming then he played rubin 'youve been away' [not sure who played it first but for me it was the first time id heard it so i would say it was him,hard to tell as it was everywhere 2 weeks later] we were like wow! and he was beaming like a schoolkid. he played it later when the crowd came in,it was already a monster, well until after he took it off put in on the chair behind him, forgot about it and later sat down and broke it in half :thumbsup: ill never forget his face :yes: we found him some sellotape and it still played somehow,but ooh that face :yes:

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

I was talking to Sam Friday night at Prestwich, and I told him about this post, and its title, he could not believe it, why he asked.

Years ago at Bretby, he was on after me, so me being the cheeky git introduced him as the Grandfather of Soul, that made him smile.

Wether you like or dislike what he plays in his set, you can not ignore his enthusiasm and passion for the music, to have kept at it non stop for the length of time he has, and still be as keen is a testimony to him.

Sam is one of the most genuine people on the scene, have a conversation with the man, you will be better for it.

As a footnote, in relation to the DJ alias thread, I asked him why Soul Sam, its an abbreviation of his original 'Soul Sams Soulful Sets' (last word may have been Sounds but it was noisy) which Sam himself suggested would make a good name for a mobile disco.

Martyn

Social source share

Countless stories can be told about sam by us all ,whether you like his musical taste or not he is a figure we should all look up to for his unmatchable enthusiasm and dedication and energy.out of all the lifeline dj's sam is undoubtably the most charismatic and a certain member of the all time top 5... here's another example of why..

when i found the " foolish girl " cover up i played it to sam on one of his visits, after the first few seconds he had to have it infact he was planning out where in his set it would fit.. at that time i had no spares but promised he could have the next copy if and when it ever came along - that day came about a year or so after .at around 3ish in the afternoon i tell sam over the phone i got that " foolish girl " but it ain't cheap ! reply was i'm setting off now ,is there a quicker route than i normally take ? he asks - not that i can think of me says .in record time a nock on the door and there stands sam playbox in hand, he wasn't leaving tickhill that evening without " foolish girl " that's for sure.....

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

I dont know Sam on a personal level, but what a joy & fun it has been to read all these storeis about a "unassuming" man who has been around for such a long time.

What does come across, from DJs, promoters to your everyday punter is the respect Sam has not just as a DJ but equally as importantly is the respect he has as a Person.

So many thanks Sam & to all the people who have taken part in this post.

It would be great to have more posts like this ....

Marcelle xx

Edited by Marcelle
Social source share

Crackin bloke,great dj,bought a Dana Valery off him over twelve months ago.....(...don't really like it )was his last comment as we exchanged cash etcetera :P ....just can't get to grips with his musical taste though........STILL A LEGEND IN HIS OWN TIME :thumbsup: LONG MAY YOU KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!