News: Ringleaders - Secret Stash 45

Mike

Nick,

Thanks for your question! This is Will from Secret Stash. As far as I know, these two tracks are unknown.  I've attached a couple images of tape scans/session notes - to give you an idea as far as how we came to the conclusion that these tracks are by the Ringleaders. 

cPA7Uj0RoDs1abC-Dtz043lzngUhGZ45Ji5-F9xe

3n8sDdlVUV4_mBk0tE-rB6B9K8nDKtbhafeEroMA

Were these two tracks known about before? In the interview that Bob Abrahamian did (with the last living member?) a few years ago it was said that they only recorded 4 songs and then left Chicago. Two songs being released and the other two are on the acetates that are mentioned in the article.

Social source share

Brilliant, thanks...and if this "is just a sampler of many great tracks to follow.." then we really are lucky and something to look forward to.

The separate thread on here about 60's newies....I personally hope there's years/decades of lots more largely unheard finds to be enjoyed yet. :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ringleaders 'I've got to find my baby' is truly wonderful. The very same session as Beverly Schaffer 'even the score' with them doing the choruses… Thanks for that also; mystery solved. Amazing stuff and the Sharpees 'darkness of the night' is super cool. Will buy both ASAP as I furbish my PP account with some greens. Cheers, SS & SS

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm new to the forum, so I don't want to step out of line and self-promote. But to give you a little more info, we're doing 6 double LP/CD compilations with each one focused on a different label - One-derful!, Mar-V-Lus, M-Pac!, Halo, Midas, and Toddlin' Town. We're finished with the tape transfers, mixing, and mastering for 5 out of 6 and I believe there will be a combined 57 tracks that are un-issued (the vast majority of which haven't appeared elsewhere). We're also doing at least 7 more 45s (mainly as bonus 45s for the compilations). We'll keep you updated as things move forward!

Brilliant, thanks...and if this "is just a sampler of many great tracks to follow.." then we really are lucky and something to look forward to.

The separate thread on here about 60's newies....I personally hope there's years/decades of lots more largely unheard finds to be enjoyed yet. :)

Social source share

I'm new to the forum, so I don't want to step out of line and self-promote. But to give you a little more info, we're doing 6 double LP/CD compilations with each one focused on a different label - One-derful!, Mar-V-Lus, M-Pac!, Halo, Midas, and Toddlin' Town. We're finished with the tape transfers, mixing, and mastering for 5 out of 6 and I believe there will be a combined 57 tracks that are un-issued (the vast majority of which haven't appeared elsewhere). We're also doing at least 7 more 45s (mainly as bonus 45s for the compilations). We'll keep you updated as things move forward!

Don't worry about that, fantastic work and any info you can post up is more than welcome!

Been playing the downloads a few times since yesterday - absolutely brilliant, look forward to the LP's :thumbup:

Edited by Steve L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve, 

We pressed 1,000 of each of these three (Little Tommy, Ringleaders, Sharpees). 

We want the One-derful! related releases to stay available, but at the same time I have a lot of respect for people who show support early on. If we repress either the Ringleaders or Sharpees, I would like to make the labels noticeably different for the second pressing, à la how Otis Clay's "A Lasting Love" also has a yellow label pressing. That way, hopefully the first pressing will feel special and not super common.

R-150-1940191-1364233703-2590.gif

Is it a limited run.....of how many? :)

Social source share

Hi

Well this all looks awesome

any plans to get the 45s distributed through a UK outlet or are they only available direct from you in the USA ?

I'm not familiar with the Ringleaders - This Is Goodbye ... the other track that got played from acetate was 'Win You Over'  ... are they the same ?

Thanks

Andy

Social source share

Hi

any plans to get the 45s distributed through a UK outlet or are they only available direct from you in the USA ?

I'm not familiar with the Ringleaders - This Is Goodbye ... the other track that got played from acetate was 'Win You Over'  ... are they the same ?

Thanks

Andy

I got mine from Juno (UK) yesterday, think there's a few places in the UK that have them.

Social source share

Hi

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I'm not 100% sure which/how many Ringleader acetates have been found -- 2 or 3? Just doing a quick search, I found a couple soul source discussions about them, though.

I think can clear up a few questions out there about Ringleader recordings.

There's the only release on M-Pac! "Baby, What Has Happened To Our Love" b/w "Let's Start Over." Then I believe 3 additional tracks showed up on acetates found later (though I am unsure if there are additional acetates out there).

The tracks I know of that were on the acetates are:

"All of My Life" which was actually labeled "Sweet Little Girl"

zyaoQUGiZkbWijzzu2OzrRYHLoM-H6ORysxQ1ZEj

"This Is Goodbye," which shows up in the second soul source thread and some people believe were the "Four Temples," is actually the Ringleaders. One of the tape box scans I posted above labels it as "I've Decided" - The chorus is "I've decided this is goodbye." here's a youtube link someone posted 

"I'd Like To Win You Over" shows up on a tape from the same session as "Let's Start Over"

Bf_yZL4dFVpKE1dh2j7nrnQhjwBMiuVMBXPk2xQI

So, I believe "Grin and Bare It" b/w "I've Got Find My Baby" are completely unheard. 

Also, SRD usually picks up our stuff (I'm not 100% sure if we've gotten an order yet), Juno like mentioned above does, and rarenorthernsoul.com has also made a couple orders,

Social source share

Mike, thank you for the tip. I made a gallery, and will try to insert the images below. Please let me know if this does not work!

Will 
your images are not showing here
they may show to you as you will have permissions 
the attachment system may be a better bet
just hit the more options/upload image link at teh bottom of the editor
cheers
mike

Social source share

Both of the Ringleaders tracks are excellent! I have ordered both 45s and I am eagerly waiting for delivery. The stand out track for me though is the Sharpees "take me to your leader". The horn arrangement in the chorus is mindblowing. Both uptempo tracks will definitely be played by me next time I DJ!

Btw, is there another version of the Sharpees Take me to your leader? I got a notion of recognition...

Social source share

Got mine can't play them yet until I move into my new flat as all my stuff is in storage, look fantastic, more please lol

They sound awesome Mark you`ll be well chufficated!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!