Coast To Coast - Bbc Film - Lenny Henry - Clip

Pete S

• Replies 32
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The story behind the film goes as follows (unless I'm greatly mistaken). The film has been shown twice by the BBC, They wanted to show it again and bring it out on DVD. However the actors involved took a small fee for appearing thinking they would get more cash from repeat fees. The beeb was happy to do this but some of the actors have now got too big for their boots,so to speak, and wont give the Beeb the permission they need to reshow it.Therefore unless you know someone with a copy, or occasionally one appears on ebay youre out of luck.I'll laeve it up to you to guess which actor / actors are involved, Ive got my own idea....

Social source share

Has anyone got it on tape or dvd would love to see it in full

loved the film, remember most of it specially when i'm gone, brenda holloway, john shea singing drift away, good sweet comedy with excellent music. bbc should be strung up for not releasing it, i pay enough chuffing licence fee to pay off a couple of two-a-penny actors!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I can remember watching this film in December 1986. I'd just returned to England after three months in the Middle East with a cherry blossom sun tan. I constantly shivered, and this great movie was as welcome as those steaming paper cups of Horlicks or Ovaltine you could get from promotional vans at sporting events in Britain in the 60s.

Social source share

The story behind the film goes as follows (unless I'm greatly mistaken). The film has been shown twice by the BBC, They wanted to show it again and bring it out on DVD. However the actors involved took a small fee for appearing thinking they would get more cash from repeat fees. The beeb was happy to do this but some of the actors have now got too big for their boots,so to speak, and wont give the Beeb the permission they need to reshow it.Therefore unless you know someone with a copy, or occasionally one appears on ebay youre out of luck.I'll laeve it up to you to guess which actor / actors are involved, Ive got my own idea....

Think we have been here before. But just to reiterate. The film is a national treasure, it has everything, great cast, really funny script, original story line and the wonderful motown soundtrack. One of the best films I've ever seen......

AND, there was supposed to be a sequal, set in the states with an Atlantic/Stax sound track. I remember seeing Lenny Henry on something like Friday Night Live. He was dressed in the 70's clothes and had the HAIR BEAR BUNCH affro. He was talking about shooting the sequel at that time, but it was never released. Don't even know if it was filmed. Shame, I was really looking forward to it....

I recorded it at the time, and it remains a treasured posession.

Social source share

When I was doing copies of this, for the cover I used a letter from the director explaining why it wasn't released on video - it's mainly because of the fees for licensing the music. If I've still got it I'll post it up.

COAST TO COAST

Every year we receive hundreds of request for videos of this film starring LENNY HENRY, JOHN SHEA, GEORGE BAKER, and PETE POSTLETHWAITE etc.

When we produced it in 1986 we were unable to clear any of the rights for any form of video distribution - actors, writers, musicians, music content, director, writer and crew.

It was thought by the different financing elements that it was only a television film and as it would then have cost well over £200,000 to clear it for video release worldwide not to be worth the investment.

Due to numerous demands to purchase the video and lately DVD we have tried, on several occasion, to clear these rights retrospectively. This has not happened. Apart from the fact that the costs would now be far greater than those quoted in 1986, many of those concerned have said that they will not give their permission for such a release. These permissions are needed to move forward.

Therefore, it is with great regret that we are unable to provide any of you with a film that so many of you fondly remember nearly 20 years after it was first screened.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

i think it goes

have you heard of Earth Wind and fire

The barmaid says - you must be wind

I have it on tape but its darker than a Bill Hicks monologue

Social source share

When I was doing copies of this, for the cover I used a letter from the director explaining why it wasn't released on video - it's mainly because of the fees for licensing the music. If I've still got it I'll post it up.

COAST TO COAST

Every year we receive hundreds of request for videos of this film starring LENNY HENRY, JOHN SHEA, GEORGE BAKER, and PETE POSTLETHWAITE etc.

When we produced it in 1986 we were unable to clear any of the rights for any form of video distribution - actors, writers, musicians, music content, director, writer and crew.

It was thought by the different financing elements that it was only a television film and as it would then have cost well over £200,000 to clear it for video release worldwide not to be worth the investment.

Due to numerous demands to purchase the video and lately DVD we have tried, on several occasion, to clear these rights retrospectively. This has not happened. Apart from the fact that the costs would now be far greater than those quoted in 1986, many of those concerned have said that they will not give their permission for such a release. These permissions are needed to move forward.

Therefore, it is with great regret that we are unable to provide any of you with a film that so many of you fondly remember nearly 20 years after it was first screened.

Do you know anything about the sequel Pete?

Social source share

I loved Lenny Henry's chat up line to the barmaid in the film "Heard of Earth,Wind and Fire?......he's Wind and i'm Fire"......or something like that......ive used it myself (to no effect ) a couple of times......

the barmaid says "are you famous" Lenny replies "have you heard of earth,wind and fire" and then plays an immaginary keyboard, then John Shea says "meet wind, why dont you"

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Bought a shite copy of e-bay a few years back(its on 2 cds not dvds :P )still watchable but just for the memories.

The people who done the film have been asked a million times to bring it out on dvd/video but theres a problem with agreement and since most of the people who had something to do with the movies have passed away its a no go.

There was a thread on soul source from a year or so ago discussing the same thing.

Its nice to see a true british made movie still remembered.

Pete "Kecks Mc guiness"Postlethwaite...Best thing to come out of Warington :P ..anyone from the Warrington way remember Chris Evans cadging fags off the soulies on warrington bank quay station on sat nights? i remember the sponger...i should e-mail him telling him he owes me a few packets of fags :D .

Sorry i drifted there a bit...yeah some great clips from Coast to Coast one of my favs is when they do the Disco in Huyton.....Huyton!!! nobody does discos in Huyton :yes: ..anyway the Bride is pregnant(not to the Groom) :P so the fella who is the cause of the Bride being pregnant asks the dj for Yvonne Fair-It Should`ve Been Me(i think)...Great Stuff.

Edited by Neil-ok
Social source share

no the wedding was in kirkby kirkby no one does weddings in kirkby

all your records will eb nicked and theirs always a fight

fantastic programmeive got the video watched it countless times its alittle ropey in patches but its a treasured possesion which i need to get converted on dvd

love th ebit where they try and seduce cherie lunghi but favourite for me is when they ask what beer is it they ask for wordsworths?? only to be castigated by the landlord as its coleridges.... whistling.gif:thumbsup:

and themenu and fridge full off cheeses

wonderful stuff

brilliant cast with pter vaughan and george baker as fantastic gangsters

if theres one programme i could watch before i go and had only t eoption of one programme to watch it would be this one

an absolute treasure and dynamite soundtrack

love the 1980 all dayer poster on their bedsit wall too in upper parliament street

ah a joy...............

Social source share

no the wedding was in kirkby kirkby no one does weddings in kirkby

all your records will eb nicked and theirs always a fight

fantastic programmeive got the video watched it countless times its alittle ropey in patches but its a treasured possesion which i need to get converted on dvd

love th ebit where they try and seduce cherie lunghi but favourite for me is when they ask what beer is it they ask for wordsworths?? only to be castigated by the landlord as its coleridges.... whistling.gif:thumbsup:

and themenu and fridge full off cheeses

wonderful stuff

brilliant cast with pter vaughan and george baker as fantastic gangsters

if theres one programme i could watch before i go and had only t eoption of one programme to watch it would be this one

an absolute treasure and dynamite soundtrack

love the 1980 all dayer poster on their bedsit wall too in upper parliament street

ah a joy...............

Shall I sneakily post 10 minutes up per day til the whole film is up? :ohmy:

Social source share

Pete-S said:
ust a clip of the quite evocative intro to this long lost film shot for the BBC. It's never been repeated or released on video or dvd and it had a superb Motown soundtrack.

Awesome Pete.

Still got the Vid from when it came out but had forgotten how good that intro was.

Spine tingling stuff!

whistling.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adlibsoul

My daughter has just managed to get me a really good quality dvd of Coast to Coast .I've been looking for it for 20 years and it took her 20 mins !!!

Social source share

Awesome Pete.

Still got the Vid from when it came out but had forgotten how good that intro was.

Spine tingling stuff!

:thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Hullo you old divil ....

Didn't LH play the part of you in the film ?

Malc

Social source share

That's right Malc....

Never thought he was quite Cool enough really!

And... the Real Smooth, Handsome one played you, if I recall!

Love ya!

Sean

Hi Sean ...

Damn the torpedoes !! you've let the secret out !!

L Y 2 !

Malc

The CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday September 16th - SEAN CHAPMAN

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Anyone wanting this can PM me for details whistling.gif

Hi

Im new to the fourm & just been looking a round,

Edited by mbuk47
Social source share

Could everyone please note that the post saying people could PM me is 4 years old - I ended up doing over 30 copies FOR FREE and ended up paying for the discs and postage myself, which was a bit stupid, and I'm not prepared to do that again. I'd rather this topic just disappeared, I'm so sick of being asked for it.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!