Early Baby Washington Related

Mike

fits in with earlier thread

In October Zell Sanders further expands the J & S sphere of influence. A new label based in New Jersey called Neptune Records with J & S behind the distribution releases #101 - "The Time" and "You Could Never Be Mine" by "Baby" Washington. The top selling duo for J & S, Johnnie & Joe, start their own label called Dice Records and release their first side by The Clickettes with "But Not For Me" on #100, and The Hearts record "I Want Your Love Tonight" and "Like Later Baby" on J & S #1627. In November a new group called The Ascots records "What Love Can Do" and "Everything Will Be All Right" on #1628. At year's end Johnnie & Joe return on J & S #1631 with "Warm, Soft, And Lovely" and "False Love Has Got To Go".

In early 1959 "Baby" Washington is back on the J & S label with her recording of "I Hate To See You Go" and "Knock Yourself Out" on #1633. The Kodaks record "Don't Want No Teasing" and "Look Up To The Sky" on #1683. In June Johnnie & Joe try again with the pop oldie "Red Sails In The Sunset" and "Where Did She Go?" on #1701. On their own Dice label The Clickettes record "Grateful" and "Lover's Prayer" on #97. Meanwhile on Neptune Records "The Time" proved to be a big seller and "Baby" follows it up with "The Bells" and "Why Did My Baby Put Me Down" on #104, while Cliff Driver's Combo records two instrumentals "Driver's Roll" and "Drive On" on #102. "The Bells" turns in to a good seller through the summer and the next record out by Washington on Neptune Records is "Let's Love In The Moonlight" on #107. By the turn of the decade the time had seemed past for Johnnie & Joe and J & S Records.But this was the story of the label from the South Bronx, and a woman that bucked the odds and made it a success. Zell Sanders was quite a woman of the times, and her J & S label made the world sit up and take notice with some monster hits by Johnnie & Joe featuring Zell's daughter at the forefront. And let us not forget the final ingredient of the mix - Rex Garvin - pianist, arranger, vocalist, and everything else for J & S records. This was a most unique moment in the history of America's music.

clipped from

https://home.earthlink.net/~v1tiger/jands.html

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source