Is No One Bothered About The Hall Of Fame?

Soulstu

I mean 5 or 6 entries?.... from 3000 odd members??

Couple of things:

It encourages us to stop and have a real good think about the many unsung people who wrote, performed, recorded and promoted the music that we all love.

There are artists and the families of artists who made very little money from the original records that are often on sale here for hundreds of pounds and more - money they'll never see. A bit of recognition wouldn't go amiss from those of us who have benefitted from what they have given us. Lorraine nailed it - a lot of these artists and their families are gobsmacked and delighted when they find out what their music means to us. Don't know about you but that makes me feel great.

I reckon if you have time to respond to a post about a lost acetate, or what wacky vehicles you've driven in the past (btw that's not a dig - they're all worth reading!) then surely you have time to have a think and fill in the form.

It's such a wide ranging and obscure scene that there will be a lot of 'one-offs' and maybe some debate about who gets nominated but so what - it's better than a wall of silence.

Come on... fill in the form or hang your heads in shame!!!!  :thumbsup:

...or tell us why it's not worth doing?

Hi Stu

I hope you're well Sir.

I think there's been a fair bit of interest - just takes a bit of time I guess. I know that Dave Moore has put a lot of time into sorting it out so it would be good to see it take off - I'm sure it will.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have always been into records rather than artists. I have never been a big fan of live music, and have never been lucky enough to be able to afford to go to the States. 

There are a lot of people on this site who have been in contact with the artists, writers, producers etc and we have had their stories on the forum many times.

Personally for me, it's all about writing songs. Then the producer and arranger. Then the musicians, then the singer.

One of the names that seems to appear on an amazing amount of brilliant records is Dale Warren. I would nominate him.

Social source share

To be honest I can't quite figure out how it works, who is/isn't eligible...and ultimately how it works afterwards. :huh:

Would it not be easier to simply have a sub-forum where members can start a thread on an artist and everyone can then add their info, comments, memories...with generic topic headers of the artists name only? After all, every singer deserves a thread on them if their disc is known to our scene?

:g:

Social source share

To be honest I can't quite figure out how it works, who is/isn't eligible...and ultimately how it works afterwards. :huh:

Would it not be easier to simply have a sub-forum where members can start a thread on an artist and everyone can then add their info, comments, memories...with generic topic headers of the artists name only? After all, every singer deserves a thread on them if their disc is known to our scene?

:g:

There is a forum available Dave. It's called.......drum roll......the Northern Soul Hall Of Fame Forum. LOL!  

There has actually been a lot more than 5/6 entries. People can send in their nominations in a number of ways and most have chosen to submit the Nomination Form. So their nominations come straight to me and I record them.

It's a new venture, we haven't got past the first round yet and I'm quite pleased at the way the nominations have included artists and folks from a wide spectrum of our music.  

Once the nomination period closes, (20 Sept), the selected inaugural inductees will be announced (01 Oct).

The inductees will receive a certificate (that we are still finalising) and I'm hoping it will be framed. (depending on funding).

Then on 01 Novmber... it all starts again and you can nominate again.

Hope that clears  some stuff up for folks.  If you want to only nominate in one class, or only in certain classes,  just drop me a line and I'll log your nomination.

Here's the ongoing list of nominations for the first inductees.    a good start I'd have thought.

If anyone has any questions of want anything clarifying just holler up peeps, in here or by PM. The NSHOF is here to stay!  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think one award at a time would be best then we can lobby and discuss. Maybe start at the start of a month and end at the end. Also that way we could see how the voting's going and if people disagree will put their votes in

Ady.... have you read The Charter?  Or seen the current list of nominations? Or seen the voting so far?

It's all already in place Mate. It just needs people to have a proper look around the Hall Of Fame Forum.  It's only going to be as successful as the membership want it to be. It's a 2 way thing. 

It will grow I'm sure. Little tweaks are already planned for the second round of nominations.

Have you got your speech ready?  :D  :lol:  

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have always been into records rather than artists. I have never been a big fan of live music, and have never been lucky enough to be able to afford to go to the States. 

There are a lot of people on this site who have been in contact with the artists, writers, producers etc and we have had their stories on the forum many times.

Personally for me, it's all about writing songs. Then the producer and arranger. Then the musicians, then the singer.

One of the names that seems to appear on an amazing amount of brilliant records is Dale Warren. I would nominate him.

I'd have thought they went hand in hand? 

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is a forum available Dave. It's called.......drum roll......the Northern Soul Hall Of Fame Forum. LOL!  

There has actually been a lot more ha 5/6 entries. People can send in their nominations in a number of ways and most have chosen o submit the Nomination Form. So their nominations come straight to me and I record them.

It's a new venture, we haven't go past the first round yet and I'm quite pleased at the way y nominations have included arists and folks from awide spectrum of our music.  

Once the nomination period closes, (20 Sept), the selected inaugural inductees will be announced (01 Oct).

The inductees will receive a certificate (thatw e ar still finalising) and I'm hoping I will be framed. (depending on funding).

Then on 01 Novmber... it all starts again and you can nominate again.

I get the forum...but...a few folk vote...half seem to be rejected as they already exist in other established Hall Of Fames (!)...then we get a winner or two...if alive they get a certificate if we are in contact with them. Well, the limitations are there to see...how many artists know of the appreciation for their recordings and are in contact with Soul-Source...a handful.

A simple named thread within the "Northern Soul hall Of Fame" forum...we talk about them behind their backs :D  and if they then make contact they can have a certificate or get "upgraded" to an "Official Soul-Source Hall Of Famer"...simples?

Not trying to start a revolution here...I just think it will be a long drawn out affair for but a handful of (deserving) artists, whilst we could be discussing lots more and creating an artist database of sorts. (No I'm not volunteering to moderate either!)

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I get the forum...but...a few folk vote...half seem to be rejected as they already exist in other established Hall Of Fames (!)...then we get a winner or two...if alive they get a certificate if we are in contact with them. Well, the limitations are there to see...how many artists know of the appreciation for their recordings and are in contact with Soul-Source...a handful.

A simple named thread within the "Northern Soul hall Of Fame" forum...we talk about them behind their backs :D  and if they then make contact they can have a certificate or get "upgraded" to an "Official Soul-Source Hall Of Famer"...simples?

Not trying to start a revolution here...I just think it will be a long drawn out affair for but a handful of (deserving) artists, whilst we could be discussing lots more and creating an artist database of sorts. (No I'm not volunteering to moderate either!)

:hatsoff2:

Of course there are limitations. :lol:  It's not the bleedin' Grammys ffs. :D

Of course it's a long drawn out affair.   It's designed to be as inclusive as possible for the membership. There's a 2 month window to start and develop as many threads as you like in the Hall Of Fame Forum. Go for it Mate!

Christ on a bike Flynny, if you smoked you'd be wanting me round to push your chest in and out! :thumbup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Of course there are limitations. :lol:  It's not the bleedin' Grammys ffs. :D

There's a 2 month window to start and develop as many threads as you like in the Hall Of Fame Forum. Go for it Mate!

Christ on a bike Flynny, if you smoked you'd be wanting me round to push your chest in and out! :thumbup:

Right, I'm off to vote and if any are rejected due to appearing on some other HofF then I will give up...although if you flew over you could press the keys on this laptop for me David...and maybe fluff the pillows up a bit, thanks!

:lol:  :thumbup:

UPDATE...votes cast...but pillows still need fluffing!

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!