Too Many Venues

Speedlimit

Guest gordon russell

Soul Funk-Tion is well worth a visit.

Great club.....and they don,t suffer from  dj,s who only go to dj     and are never seen again   top

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Never going to happen, and we have discussed it to death on many occasions. 

The nub of it is this, back in the day there were a handful of Dj's and hundreds of people who just wanted to dance. Now there are hundreds of Dj's and just a handful of people who can dance.

That is all.

Back in the day the handful of dj's had the records and we had to follow them where they was djing to hear the records, any dj's playing boots or reissues would be sacked on the spot. Now a days 95% of local do's are promoted by handbagers have their friends djing  playing  boots and reissues to handbag crowd.

There appears to be lot more boots and reissues available now for the handbag crowds ' hence hundreds  local do's spring up every week.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

do you think if a promoter has more than one venue ,there in it for the money not the music

Yes they are, thats what promoters do.. Promotions...

As to the topic title... Indeed toooooooooooooo many but its been said a thousand times..... Every man and his dog wants to be a promoter/ dj :(  :( , who is to tell them no?? not you or me... We just have to get on with doing what we do and try and talk with other promoters and avoid a clash were possible for like minded folk......

Some promoters are beyond reason and any kind of morality but thats the way of the world.......

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

You can perhaps,if you have the energy or enthusiasm,got to 2/3 venues on one night.Good luck to you.What the other 70 odd are doing is really of no consequence.We all have say,10 venues we look out for.The rest shouldn't be a concern.Musically go where the music takes you.Easy.

Enjoy.

Social source share

I work around 60 plus hours per week, often away from home 2, 3 or 4 nights.  That and the fact I spend all week driving means I can't be bothered to drive at the weekends especially for a all-nighter where the music is no better than what is on offer within 30 minutes of hime.  Like you Des,  I neither wish to feel like crap until Tuesday either, some seem to think because they have been up all-night and that they are better than others. 

100%  - I have a stressful day job that also means sometimes I want nothing other to do that chill out at weekends on the patio with a glass of wine or watch a movie....eminently preferable to driving about the country every weekend to hear Eddie Parker, Elbie Parker and Milton Parker.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

100%  - I have a stressful day job that also means sometimes I want nothing other to do that chill out at weekends on the patio with a glass of wine or watch a movie....eminently preferable to driving about the country every weekend to hear Eddie Parker, Elbie Parker and Milton Parker.

Are there any Parkers you would travel to hear Steve or do you just hate the surname?  :lol:

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Too many venues?  Saturday 27th - 4 Weekenders, 3 All Nighters, 1 All Dayer and over 40 Soul Nights advertised in Events.  There's got to be room for a few more.  Did notice that a few events had been cancelled / postponed.  Given this number of events happening on the same night, there's got to be at least 200 DJs spinning the vinyl throughout the country.

Social source share

Va va Voom is one of the few London gigs I go to.Last one I heard,Sherlock Holmes Standing At A Standstill...Dean Anderson played it.I havent heard that out in years..a nice oldie and a suprise.There are hundreds of oldies like this.If this film takes off the Northern Soul And Motown night "on vinyl" will be everywhere.

Played it in April at Solid Hit .....hmm was going to give a thumbs up or smiley but emoticom not working ;-)

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

You missed out Des Parker Steve and the fella off Thunderbirds lol

Social source share

I don’t know if there are too many venues at present. ‘Northern Soul’ is now on every street corner, some people still go out every weekend, whereas others choose not to, and this depends on individuals personal circumstances.

Although fighting this for as long as I could (or as long as Nina ‘held the fort’ for me!) having young children, and also a very busy job (at long last btw) I personally can’t do many All-nighters. It also keeps me from travelling like I used to (and rightly so)

It may not be the Soul Scene I once knew and loved, but all these nights keep going so they must pull enough people to be viable (surely)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know this as already been said BUT 77 venues this weekend including allnighters and weekenders come on people get real this is killing the scene...

Does no one appreciate the great irony in that? 

If it were a case of only seven events on in a month, that'd be killing the scene, but nearly 80 in a week??? Really sounds like the scene is dying, doesn't it?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I blame the TV,If they brought back Its a Knockout ,half of these venues would be empty / closed , having said that I haven't got a gig

on the 27th , am I doing something wrong ?

That's cos Stuart Hall is spending time at her Majesty's and Eddie Wearing is pushing up daisies. Not many people I know want to be spending time with either of them.

I'm also not behind the decks on 27th but hope I will be on the floor stretching the legs; I find dancing is better than spinning vinyl but need a DJ to play the right party tunes otherwise I'm stood waiting for a tune to tempt me onto the floor.   :hatsoff2:

Social source share

That's cos Stuart Hall is spending time at her Majesty's and Eddie Wearing is pushing up daisies. Not many people I know want to be spending time with either of them.

I'm also not behind the decks on 27th but hope I will be on the floor stretching the legs; I find dancing is better than spinning vinyl but need a DJ to play the right party tunes otherwise I'm stood waiting for a tune to tempt me onto the floor.   :hatsoff2:

Most of our crowd hope they don't play a tune that will tempt me on to the floor

Social source share

I pass a local pub on my way home every evening "The Black Horse" that is continually advertising on every Friday from 8pm to 12am Karaoke with DJ Kevin whatever, then ! wait for it from 12am to 2am Northern Soul and Motown. :no:

You can just imagine the saddo's he's gonna atract ! :lamsey:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have yet to witness a club voluntarily closing in order that another may benefit from higher numbers............

……and you never will……But, if someone that I respected actually took me to one side and suggested I stopped promoting because he thought me doing so was somehow having a detrimental effect on things, I can honestly say I would at the very least take a good look at what I was doing. I doubt that would ever happen even if they thought that, because the people I respect have other stuff in their lives - In any case, the people I refer to have always encouraged me (which is important)

It was suggested in an earlier post that some promoters that have done so for many years should for some reason stop doing so. I think the opposite - promoters like that have the advantage of years of experience, and have always tried to work together for the sake of the bigger picture.

My view has ‘chilled’ over this issue now, all I can say is good luck to whoever can be bothered with the hassle of promoting an event - it is a thankless task.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not this again.

There's no way the amount of events can be regulated or minimalised.

An event will survive on the simple understanding that if people go it'll survive, if they dont it wont.

The idea of others events closing down to accommodate a certain promoters ego is rediculous, and why should they shut down to benefit another event.

Maybe the case of promoters being at the helm of multiple events in one area, with the same pals guesting for each other continuously ( week in week out) over a four week period is a part of the problem? If the same people promote the same based events every available weekend, that'll dilute it way more than random people putting an event on.

Also surely people who just cant let it go when they have promoted and it hasnt worked, just move to another venue and try to flog that dead horse again and again and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But ponitificicate and bemoan "theres too many do's on" when they're misguided egotistical definition of "what it should be" doesnt work again.

NO-one has the right to dictate who can and cannot put an event on wether its monthly, yearly or anywhere in between, good luck to them I say. sink or swim the people will let you know either way.

All sounds a bit egotistical to me Kev  :thumbsup:  some people eh  :no:

Social source share

Deja vous.........20 years on!!!!!!!!x

I've read the thread....and as someone pointed out...IT has 'flooded' the market without the 'foot souling' 'we' used to do! BUT....it don;t mean diddley squat....here's why!x

The scene had been going for 25+ years in the way we know Northern nights when I went to my first gig....Keele Xmas 1992. I knew nobody and nowt about the scene. So...I went walking.....! Everything I have read in this thread....was being said back in '93. Too many gigs...not enuff variety....'cliques' everywhere and unhappy DJ''s spinning the same rare tunes. Another thing that was said was that 'opportunity' for new blood/DJ's....wasn't there....closed shop. 

I discovered that because of market forces....many venues had sprung up 'independent' of 'the scene'....and were having 'raves'....! Kings Lynn...Boston....Grimsby....Wellingborough....Rushden....Kettering....Peterborough.....Naaarwich.....Souffend......all venues I visited in '93 run by enthusiastic 'kids' in the main....who nobody cared about really....apart from their 'in crowd of say 50-150 'regulars' who never travelled to other gigs really! Oops...when I found Shifty sheltering in a bunker at Southend....his crowd averaged about 20....until my minibus arrived with 17 each time to boost his attendance....true!!x That is what I found out after trekking for a year to about 30 different venues....Soul Nights and Nighters mainly in East Anglia but taking in Keele...Blackburn and 100 Club in the beginning. I said it before....I found a gap in the market....and filled it. Could do the same today........wiv a cuppa in hand and not leave me seat....easy life....pah!x

I approached 8 of these young upstarts and said....would you like to DJ at an A/Nighter.....most hadn't...including Shifty! Of course they did. I took the responsibility to organise the venue....we shared the responsibility of marketing.....and hey ho....sell out our first 3 gigs at The Maltings...WITHOUT THE NEED TO PROMOTE 'externally' anywhere.....!.....and burst it's doors for us to then re-launch St Ives mid 90's....without 1 'name'....on the bill! Indeed I was probably the most 'known' name on the bill as I was the only 1 DJing 'Nationally' at the time with Blackburn....Winsford...Stockport....100 Club all regular places I was at!

New kids on the block.....job done! We then 'marched' up t'norf and took our excitement wherever we went! It led to Ian Levine...Chris King and many other 'old school' to return to the scene.....by their own admission! The 'surge'...was simply that.....a concerted organised combining of talent...enthusiasm....and innocence......we all danced too which helped!x

The 'Togetherness' all-nighters from '94-99 where a 'PARTY'...simple as. A place for folk to chill...no ego's....pretence or I have this tune bo**ox. Pure 'soulfulness' among all. I knew nowt else...and weren't looking for owt else!x Job done....and that happening was the fuel that ignited the resurgence of the scene which Kev Roberts and Richard took advantage of when we finished by kicking off 'Togetherness' at Kings Hall and down my way the residual has become a steady presence at St Ives ever since.....which was there to do for all! If Kev/Richard hadn't have harnessed that energy.....who else would have? Respect...X

It can be done today......especially when there are so many venues to go 'select' from!!!!x All it needs...is a respected co-ordinator/workhorse. I volunteered after having a wonderful experience Xmas 1992...thanx Neil!x Some of you see overkill...I see opportunity. If I trawled the scene for the next 6 months....visited say 30/40 venues.....find a proper place to Party.....invite 10 'Clubs'...for 10 hour spots.....gel it together as we did.....and Bob's ure Aunt.

I'd revamped the Federation of Master Builders and how they 'networked' along with a few other 'National' firms prior to arriving on the scene......it was obvious to me on the way forward!x Same jobby today.......I reckon!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

EDIT....due to a PM...here's the stats.....and 'solution'....!

theee '9Clubs' Soul Club which promoted A Little Togetherness' at The Maltings and then at St Ives consisted of up to 30 Soul Clubs eventually that featured at our gigs. The only requirement I had for them to be included on a rota basis was that they were 'hacking it out there....like us.....attending functions and doing their bit. An established Soul Night/Club was required and yes.....that they danced.....!!!!! I was innocent.....but how could anyone DJ who didn;'t dance to their own genre of music....I thought! Also...'creamers' didn't get to cream our functions either....the kind that turned up wiv a bunch of mates late....did their spot and left or stayed 'Husky Joe Lifeguarding it' in the corner....BARRRRRED.....simple as.

These policy's ran throughout our gigs and at my Soul Nights too! It kept the 'cool dudes' away....init....and I believe was succesful because the punters.....were like us.......!x As said....A Little Togetherness...for the little folk. Proud of that!x

@@
~

maltingsmanifesto.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

It's the Magic Roundabout question on SS, it just keeps turning & every so often someone gives it a push. The hype will have vanished in a while & some newbies will cling on & most will fall by the way side when it's not flavour of the month anymore. As for ovo I see it everywhere most omit to say ovo boots or reissues, I noticed the returnees got a mention, well some of us had mortgages etc to pay & most (not all) of the late 80's stuff was utter crap, fit better with "Deliverance" or hillbilly music, so no incentive to return earlier, anyway back on topic, there are venues out there worthy of note,it's just that they're swamped by the Oldies venues, seek & ye shall find.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I work around 60 plus hours per week, often away from home 2, 3 or 4 nights.  That and the fact I spend all week driving means I can't be bothered to drive at the weekends especially for a all-nighter where the music is no better than what is on offer within 30 minutes of hime.  Like you Des,  I neither wish to feel like crap until Tuesday either, some seem to think because they have been up all-night and that they are better than others. 

This year I have had to work nearly every weekend, when I get the odd one off I look at the hundreds on offer. and mostly... can't be arsed

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

and J.T.Parker?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

wait 'til this film comes out, there'll be 77 venues in each town all full of people thinking they're 'doing northern soul'!!!!!

there already is

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!