Soft Tone Needles

Steve Brown

Hi steve there bloody brilliant weve seen them four times now Steve ( J ) jackson.s son Dave plays drums and Andy Davis plays bongos in the band and the sax players awesome great choice for a northern cover group most of the group are also involved with other bands doing different types of music

Social source share

Hi steve there bloody brilliant weve seen them four times now Steve ( J ) jackson.s son Dave plays drums and Andy Davis plays bongos in the band and the sax players awesome great choice for a northern cover group most of the group are also involved with other bands doing different types of music

Great Steve. I know you are a man of taste so that's high praise. It looks like they are booked for 18th July at Soul In The Bowl. It will be run by The Swivel Club Charity so I hope it will be a packer. I'm sure plenty of people will travel to see them.

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Saw them 11th July this year, they played at Castor, just outside Peterborough. Cracking set, had me and the Mrs grooving on the grass dance floor (the played inside a marquee). Not easy to do northern soul on grass but we managed it!

As many have said on here, they putting a cracking show, the music is top draw and the girls can't half sing. Fair few mods there too that night and they said the same. Don't think you'll go far wrong with them. I still keep an eye for them to see if they're playing local as I'd go again. Hope that helps you rest your mind :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for everyone's feedback. The jury has voted. It's a hit! All of my mates that have seen the various You Tube vids love them. We are pricing the tickets at £10 which is pretty good I would have thought. I am giving my services for nothing as will the other DJs on board. Let's hope we pack the place out, everyone has a great night and the charity make lots of money.

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Great Steve. I know you are a man of taste so that's high praise. It looks like they are booked for 18th July at Soul In The Bowl. It will be run by The Swivel Club Charity so I hope it will be a packer. I'm sure plenty of people will travel to see them.

Where in the UK will this be Steve? Seems like a winner for me; sounds I like, band I like, get to support a charity. Just hopefully it's reachable from the flatlands of Cambridgeshire! :yes:

Social source share

• 9 months later...

For anyone that remembers this thread earlier, The Soft Tone Needles are booked and will be live at The Bowl on July 18th. It is a charity event organised by a great local charity, The Swivel Club. I have a ticket hotline number of 07738 080470 for anyone that is thinking of going. I am so looking forward to seeing them for the second time. I'm glad that the folks who have actually seen them agree how good they are live. They played a gig at Santa Pod Raceway the other night and went down a storm apparently. I couldn't go as was doing some DJ'ing elsewhere but did anyone see them?

Social source share

They are from my neck of the woods (East Anglia) and I was D.J at a local charity night with them a few years back.

Seen them several times, they are top notch and definitely have some credibility about them. Like someone said earlier, one of the lads is Steve J's boy, a top local D.J.

Social source share

Guest Mike72

I'd shut the curtains if they were playing in my garden

I haven't got a garden....or any curtains for that matter. But if I did have I'd do the same

However, good luck mate with your charity event, am sure it will be a success as not everyone is as miserable as me

Social source share

I haven't got a garden....or any curtains for that matter. But if I did have I'd do the same

However, good luck mate with your charity event, am sure it will be a success as not everyone is as miserable as me

Thanks. Tickets are selling really well so no problem there. I know live bands divide opinion so I do get where you're coming from. Saying that, they impressed me enough to recommend we book them and I can do miserable as well as most.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike72

Thanks. Tickets are selling really well so no problem there. I know live bands divide opinion so I do get where you're coming from. Saying that, they impressed me enough to recommend we book them and I can do miserable as well as most.

Great stuff....can you post back here how the night went, as well as any clips you might record?? as a slight deviation from the topic, have you seen any clips or reports of the recent Finlay Quaye 'show' that got pulled bout 5mins in? Unbelievable! However, the promoter seemed a bit novicey despite his claims to the contrary (gig promoters when I were in shitpot groups were ALL sharks who never budged) - I was on nodding terms with FQ before and after his rise to prominence; he's a rum cat who's well able to pull low stunts with no apparent shame; common knowledge...WAYYY off the subject i know, point being I bet the STN won't do this to you....(oh, what a very good example of my positive thinking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hWOk9gL1Mk

Got to say, not much sympathy for the promoter - 20quid a ticket, the ch**ky F****r!!

Edited by Mike72
left last comment out
Social source share

I will certainly get back with a full report on the night Mike. The trustees of the Swivel Club charity are dealing directly with the STN and all is confirmed. So far over 250 tickets have been sold with many more expected on the night. Luckily 'The Bowl' has a 500 capacity!!!

Social source share

Just a quick report on the Saturday night for The Soft Tone Needles at The Bowl.  Having persuaded the Bowl based charity, The Swivel Club, to book them on the strength of an outdoor gig over a year ago it is always a bit of a heart in mouth situation when the day finally arrives. My trepidation was eased somewhat by the fact that ticket sales had gone very well and a 300 plus crowd was anticipated. Need I have worried? Definitely not. They were bloody fantastic. I hope someone took some pics or better still some video footage and posts it up on here. To see a packed Bowl dancing and cheering was awesome. The sound was so much better than when I saw them. They were tight and very polished and produced that fantastic wall of sound that only top Soul bands can produce. Even some sceptics came up to me and admitted that they were blown away with the perfomance. To see a group of young musicians with such passion and enthusiasm makes you realise that the future is in safe hands. If these guys are on near you please go along and have a look. Don't take any notice of some of the negative comments on here, I can assure you they are a well worth watching. I particulary would like to mention two tunes that they really gave the full tretment to, I'm The One To Do It, and Lay This Burden Down. Please post something up if you were there and have a photo or a clip.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!