Mike Raven R & B Show, Radio One, 1971

Pete S

I posted this 10 years ago but it's long since vanished from the internet

MIKE RAVEN’S R & B SHOW, RADIO ONE, 1971

Here's a very rare chance to hear what for many people was an essential part of their education and introduction to Soul Music.  Mike Raven's R & B show ran for 4 years on Radio One, from 1967 onwards.  For most, this was the only way to hear new soul releases at the time.  His style sounds somewhat laidback nowadays, but the music is great.  Sadly, this is the only recording I have with Mike's dj-ing intact, it's edited out of all others.  Records he plays include tracks from The Fiestas, Soul Children, Bobby Byrd, Al Green and even a Radio One spin for Richard Temple's That Beatin' Rhythm, then a new release on the Jay Boy label.  Mike went on to become an actor in horror films, and passed away in 1997.
Hope you enjoy this classic archive recording, converted from reel to reel tape.  Many thanks to Colin for the original recordings back in the 90's.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/mike-raven-r-b-show-bbc-radio-one-1971/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

This jogged my memory regarding a thread about Mike Raven from a few years back.

There is a post on there from PeteS. And me . . . . . . . . . :D

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

There was a couple of broken links in that other thread which showed the Radio Times entry for the end of Mike Raven's tenure (December 1971) and the start of his replacement Dave Simmons (January 1972)

So if anyone is interested see below.

It's funny to see In Concert coming on at 6.30. I seem to remember that most artists on there were from the Prog Rock genre. I always think of Prog Rock as being the biggest influence in the popularity of Northern Soul. i.e. it drove swathes of people back to the "real music" of the 1960s.

gallery_6836_1066_163501.jpg

gallery_6836_1066_274279.jpg

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I have an absolutely fantastic pre-Ziggy In Concert recording from that series, one of the best bootlegs I've ever heard.

Around 1974 I shared a house with a guy who had the "Space Oddity" LP. We played it to death.

I only have to hear anything from that album, Memory from a Free Festival, Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud etc. etc. and I'm on a real nostalgia trip.

I don't think it would go down too well on here - even in Freebasing!! :D

Social source share

Around 1974 I shared a house with a guy who had the "Space Oddity" LP. We played it to death.

I only have to hear anything from that album, Memory from a Free Festival, Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud etc. etc. and I'm on a real nostalgia trip.

I don't think it would go down too well on here - even in Freebasing!! :D

I wouldn't worry about that, there's tons of closet Bowie fans on here!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ..... Well what can I say after listening to the Mike Raven clip, well it takes me back to my post Reggae era, when I for the second time got into soul music, this period for me was a time when I actually had long hair? & also listened to prog rock music.

The clip is like Mike Raven had swallowed the latest copy of BLUES & SOUL magazine, it is clear that Mike was a close friend of John Abbey as they had similar taste in music, which included Country music that they both loved,

Thanks to Pete Smith for saving this brief historical recording,

As a footnote Mike narrated the TROJAN film of the 1970 Wembley Reggae Festival, that has been much booted since the day I had 1 of 3 copy's taken direct from the 32m film, there is a story behind this that I can't talk about?

:thumbsup: Dave K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!