Patrinell Staten

soulster22

I have been listening to the Patrinell staten track in the car for the last couple of weeks and am not sure wheter it is a brilliant track or a bit of

a mess. the middle section goes all over the place but then finishes with the wonderful backing and harmonising.

my conclusion is that this record is a Northern Soul Masterpiece. what do you reckon?

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair -  Sepia

could somebody please attach a clip.

regards Harry (soulster22)

Social source share

It's got that secret quality that ticks the boxes for us, but I agree about the messy middle which makes me know that if it was on in the car and I was giving a work friend a lift or something, I'd just know they'd be listening and thinking "WTF??"!

Northern Soul. The Marmite of the music world.

Social source share

I have been listening to the Patrinell staten track in the car for the last couple of weeks and am not sure wheter it is a brilliant track or a bit of

a mess. the middle section goes all over the place but then finishes with the wonderful backing and harmonising.

my conclusion is that this record is a Northern Soul Masterpiece. what do you reckon?

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair -  Sepia

could somebody please attach a clip.

regards Harry (soulster22)

Many years ago I spent about eighteen months looking for this record then I found out there was only four known copies. Which put it totally out of my price range. I ended up buying a copy on the I think sevens label. What a tune its up there with the best of them in my opinion.

Steve

Social source share

Very strange record and one that I can never get to love, but it's nearly brilliant. 

Ester Grant is another one. First time I heard it I thought what a messy racket. Twelve months later and I'm up dancing to it. Love it now.  :lol:

completely agree, first time i heard little love affair, thought it odd but it just grows on you...just the way it builds...as for esther grant, you can see why so many chase something that is quite simply beyond access...it's get-go from the cue fairly short but totally dynamic....love it to bits, fortunate i have it crystal clear on a cd...such a shame it's rareity prevents it from being heard by a wider audience but some discs will be eternally illusive...same goes for sandy golden...another wonderful tune

Social source share

Dug this out of the cupboard, from May 2002 Shades of Soul when 'Little Love Affair' was probably at the height of it's popularity - a quintessential Butch spin of course and a major floorpacker at the time. For me the long intro gives everyone time to hit the floor and get into the groove before the vocals kick in, and so cool how it ends the same way. 

Used to love hearing it at The Ritz 'Rarest of the Rare' niters, most of which were absolute packers and superb nights, with Butch, Soul Sam, Ady, etc.

NB. what happened to the Ritz? Went up to the Neil Rushton one a few months ago and it was virtually deserted - a massive club with hardly anyone in, and no atmosphere apart from downstairs with Ian Dewhirst and about six people in a little room. Doesn't make any sense - one of the last surviving original venues, if there was to be one last great all nighter I would have the Ritz any day of the week - wouldn't that be something!

Scan reproduced without kind permission from Derek - hope you don't mind Derek  :)

Patrinell Staten.pdf

Social source share

totally agree with the above, utterly fabulous 45, easily one of the very best discovered in recent times.. that being the last decade or so...

so glad there was a look alike reissue, and I assume Patrinell got paid as well...same lot that did that Mowest double LP...

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Very strange record and one that I can never get to love, but it's nearly brilliant.

Ester Grant is another one. First time I heard it I thought what a messy racket. Twelve months later and I'm up dancing to it. Love it now. :lol:

both similar I suppose Phil,EG for me if I had to choose. See avatar
Social source share

Ester Grant is another one. First time I heard it I thought what a messy racket. Twelve months later and I'm up dancing to it. Love it now.  :lol:

That comment is bang on for me to . Are the limited issues from Wheedles Groove ever so slightly speeded up ?

Social source share

i think there are more than four known copies.  cool 45.  the lookalike reissues (both with & without the light in the attic logo) are legit & done by light in the attic. apparently pat still has 2 copies, one nice & one thrashed.  i love the song.  so this is considered an oldie as someone mentioned up thread?  there's also a vintage mispress with the correct labels but which doesn't play "little love affair", real disappointing to find that variation.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Fund first by John Manship and Keb on a trip to USA.

Arthur Fenn got one frm the lady herself.  Ther is an article about her somewhere on the web. She reissued it on a look a like label.

Does the story not go that John and Keb were on a buying trip, and the record was found by Keb - but the deal was Keb got the funk and John got the soul. Awesome record, love it to bits!

Social source share

I can account for about 12 copies of the record without much problem. That doesn't include the ones mentioned earlier, so that's 16- so the real total of copies is probably around 30, as I would never claim to have knowledge of every copy. It still turns up on occasion.

My first copy I found at a garage sale around 1996, if anyone is keeping a time line.

Edited by George G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!