Would, Dare You Use This Method To Revive Your Records?

ive done that for years...and it works,however his technique leaves the vinyl matt...so once all the scratches have been sanded away, you need to buff and polish it up to get it shiny again,so if your patient and have the correct gear, then you will turn a vg- record into a decent playable ex copy.

also it works great on vinyl,not so great on styrene,also you need to be careful of paper labels!

it also surprisingly fixes records that skip/jump!

Social source share

Polishing whole records is verboten in my books, especially when styrene, rare or common: worse still if passed off as 'clean' records. Using an abrasive to remove a major flaw such as a skip makes logical sense. Never tried it, but something like Duraglit, a fibrous metal polish, might dig down into vinyl imperfections. Normally, a really good swabbing with Mr Sheen cleans a record as good as it's gonna get. Usually it's best to wait for a better copy to come along rather than spend time attempting to fix scratches etc.

Social source share

There was a YouTube clip, I think posted somewhere here on Soul Source maybe a year ago, showing how you can paste wood glue, PVA, onto the surface, lay a small piece of plastic or similar into the edge so that when it dries (leave for at least one day) you have an edge to begin to peel it away. Worked a treat on a battered old Temptations single I had.

Social source share

Polishing records is ok in theory, if you are doing it for your personal collection. Problems arise when people sell these records on as being in EX condition. If you tilt them to the light you can see the very strange effect of the grooves. I have been sold loads of them, and they never sound right. I always send them straight back and ask for a refund.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!