Northern Soul The Film - See It At The Cinema

stevemcmahon

Guest MBarrett

Really? If you read the original post all the info you need is right there:  "The up-to-date official list of Independent cinema's screening Elaine's film can be found here: https://bit.ly/NorthernSoulCinemas"

The old adage; "..damned if you do/don't" springs to mind. If this film were fully distributed & plastered all over the main cinemas you can guarantee it would be labelled as a sell out by a certain few. The situation of limited availability is what it is for certain reason which are best left alone, yet in an ironic twist have placed this film into a position which kind of befits an underground youth culture; that of being unavailable to the masses but possible to find if you dig deep enough. 

We are fortunate to live in a time where with very little effort it is now possible to join forces & directly lobby our local cinemas to screen a film which fully deserves the support from the scene it documents positively & for posterity. I for one can't wait for my teenage son to finally get a glimpse into the scene which was a big part of my youth & the essence of which is somewhat diluted these days by 'old folk' doing Dad dancing. The fact alone that Elaine & her team invested so much time & effort (over 4 years) into ensuring her young actors & extras got the moves (& the passion) right is testament to how much care has been put into getting this right & I for one can't wait to support it.

Steve

Would it be worth putting the Facebook link in a new thread with a title such as Northern Soul Film - showing here (or whatever) and getting the mods to pin it to the top of the forum.

Just a thought - to give the information maximum exposure.

I don't think it has been done very well on the main film website. You go to the Home Page, then you have to click on About The Film link. Then there is another link over on the right hand side.

I don't claim to be a marketing expert but if it was me I would want that info. big and bold on the Home Page.

Just a few random thoughts for a Sunday morning . . . . . . .

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Another thought.

For what it would cost why not a banner add on this forum - which could be clickable through to the Facebook page.

That's enough from me - DIY to do!!

MB

Social source share

Steve

Would it be worth putting the Facebook link in a new thread with a title such as Northern Soul Film - showing here (or whatever) and getting the mods to pin it to the top of the forum.

Just a thought - to give the information maximum exposure.

I don't think it has been done very well on the main film website. You go to the Home Page, then you have to click on About The Film link. Then there is another link over on the right hand side.

I don't claim to be a marketing expert but if it was me I would want that info. big and bold on the Home Page.

Just a few random thoughts for a Sunday morning . . . . . . .

Will do, MB  :thumbsup:  

I agree it's all getting a bit protracted over @ the 'official' website & now on the 'official' Facebook group, who have recently posted a new app which doesn't appear to work (yet): https://www.facebook.com/northernsoulthefilm/app_364123627077661

It's probably best to get involved over on our Facebook cinema group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/304798186378691/ where you stand a good chance of reaching folk from all over the country in the same boat & where there's more info posted about progress made, on a daily basis.

In the meantinme, here's the link to the official list of Independent Cinemas info: https://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/resources/cinemas/default.aspx

Edited by stevemcmahon
Social source share

dancersm.jpg

As suggested by MB, here's the 'official' link to a list of cinemas currently scheduled to show the film, Northern Soul: https://bit.ly/NorthernSoulCinemas

This list was originally posted on the 18th September so obviously needs updating (I will get in touch with those in charge). There are however, a few comments from Facebook users which list latest additions that have been confirmed via the OurScreen system.

I'll be sure to post the latest list on here just as soon as I receive.

Edited by stevemcmahon
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Me neither. Seems to be the same URL that works in the other thread but for some reason not clickable here. I'm sure that Mike could sort it.

But the absolutely ideal scenario is that the Facebook info is copied and pasted into the first post on this thread. And then edited every time a new cinema is added.

After all the time, effort and money gone into making this film shouldn't be too much to ask. Surely!

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Thanks Steve. Link now working.

Great work from you and the folk who have put this list together and can hopefully keep it updated through the month of October.

I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

MB

P.S. All the better if Mike or one of the mods would mind pinning this to the top of the forum. The film is a major event in the history of Northern Soul so it doesn't seem too much to ask. Pretty please. :D

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

:thumbup: Cambridge Artshouse Sat 18/10 2.45pm been confirmed. Just got my email through so chuffed with that. 

Edited by SteveBev
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Sorry fellas, the wife has pointed out a slight error. It should read Sat 18/10 at 2.45pm. I honestly don't know what I'd do without her, she is my lifesaver.

OK, OK, this is the wife  :wink:

Social source share

Thanks Steve. Link now working.

Great work from you and the folk who have put this list together and can hopefully keep it updated through the month of October.

I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

MB

P.S. All the better if Mike or one of the mods would mind pinning this to the top of the forum. The film is a major event in the history of Northern Soul so it doesn't seem too much to ask. Pretty please. :D

malc and others ,

if want to suggest or comment on site stuff

then its always best if use the support forum rather than tack it on posts, as we don't see every post/thread/suggestion

on this from a site angle 

I don't think pinning is best suited

pinning is usually used for more static site related type threads/posts

active threads don't usually need pinning as with them being active they are already fairly visible 

thanks

mike

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

on this from a site angle 

I don't think pinning is best suited

pinning is usually used for more static site related type threads/posts

active threads don't usually need pinning as with them being active they are already fairly visible 

thanks

mike

Thanks Mike. I thought it was worth asking. But see your point.

If the thread is fairly busy over the next few weeks it should stay near the top of the forum anyway.

ATB

MB

Social source share

It's only a film, people will go and hopefully enjoy along with the popcorn etc.  Theres more important things in life like attending clubs etc. Thats where the real scene is...though i'm looking forward to seeing the film,  many people have put their lives and money into the prodject. I await the DVD.

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

ITS NOT BEING SHOWN AT CAMBRIDGE ARTSHOUSE IVE JUST SPOKEN TODAY WITH AN ADVISOR AT ARTSHOUSE AND NO PLANS AT PRESENT EITHER

A GREAT SHAME ?

Got email from Ourscreen confirming it!! It's at Arts Picturehouse if that's the same place?  :huh:

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

ITS NOT BEING SHOWN AT CAMBRIDGE ARTSHOUSE IVE JUST SPOKEN TODAY WITH AN ADVISOR AT ARTSHOUSE AND NO PLANS AT PRESENT EITHER

A GREAT SHAME ?

Just spoke with someone at the Arts Picturehouse and he's said that as it's being run by Ourscreen they aren't selling tickets for it themselves, you have to buy them via Ourscreen. Probably why you got told it wasn't on when you rang the cinema as it's not on the cinemas list as they aren't selling for it. Ourscreen have taken my cash, and the guy at the cinema said if I've received an email and they've taken my cash it's definitely happening. Just that anyone wanting tickets will need to go through Ourscreen.

Phew! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just spoke with someone at the Arts Picturehouse and he's said that as it's being run by Ourscreen they aren't selling tickets for it themselves, you have to buy them via Ourscreen. Probably why you got told it wasn't on when you rang the cinema as it's not on the cinemas list as they aren't selling for it. Ourscreen have taken my cash, and the guy at the cinema said if I've received an email and they've taken my cash it's definitely happening. Just that anyone wanting tickets will need to go through Ourscreen.

Phew! :thumbsup:

Steve -

MANY thanks for confirming it is on at Cambridge something quite not right there - but anyway look forward to the showing and St Ives followingin the evening

Social source share

The original list of cinemas has just been updated over on the official Facebook page here: https://bit.ly/NorthernSoulCinemas 

It now includes all of the requested OurScreen screenings & the confirmed ones. I'll paste them below but just to say; the Facebook page has links to where you can buy tickets.

If you don't see anywhere near you, try getting in touch with ourscreen.com to request they approach your local cinema on your behalf here: https://www.ourscreen.com/contact-us/ 

This DOES work & is worth the extra effort to be able to see this film on the big screen & with your mates.

FROM OCTOBER 17

Ambleside, Zeffirellis - 17th-23rd Oct

Belfast, Queen's Film Theatre - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Belper, Ritz - 17th & 18th Oct

Birmingham, MAC - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Blackpool , The Opera House Cinema - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Bluewater, Showcase - 18th Oct

Bradford, Pictureville - 17th - 23rd Oct

Bridgnorth, Reel - 17th Oct

Bristol, Watershed - 17th - 23rd Oct

Bristol Cinema de Lux, Showcase - 18th Oct

Burnley, Reel -  17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Bury St Edmunds, Abbeygate - 17th Oct

Cardiff, Showcase - 18th Oct

Cleethorpes, Parkway Cinema - 17th - 23rd Oct

Cork, Triskel Arts Centre - 19th - 23rd Oct

Coventry, Showcase - 18th Oct

Derby, QUAD - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Derby Cinema de Lux, Showcase - 18th Oct

Dudley, Showcase - 18th Oct

Dublin, IFI - 17th - 23rd Oct

Edinburgh, Cameo - 17th - 23rd Oct

Glasgow, Glasgow Film Theatre (GFT) - 22nd & 23rd Oct

Glasgow, Showcase - 18th Oct

Greenock, Waterfront Cinema - 17th - 23rd Oct

Hebden Bridge, Picture House - 22nd & 23rd Oct

Hull, Reel - 17th, 18th & 19th

Lancaster, The Dukes - 19th & 20th Oct

Leeds, Showcase - 18th Oct

Leicester, Phoenix - 20th - 23rd Oct

Leicester Cinema de Lux , Showcase - 18th Oct

Liverpool, Picturehouse at FACT - 19th - 24th Oct - Confirmed Booking

London, ArtHouse Crouch End - 19th Oct

London, Curzon Victoria - 17th & 18th Oct -Book Now

London, Notting Hill Gate - 17th -Book Now

London, Rio Cinema Dalston - 18th Oct

London, Screen on the Green Islington - 17th & 18th Oct

Lowestoft, Marina Theatre - 18th Oct

Manchester, Cornerhouse - 17th Oct

Manchester, AMC - 17th - 21st Oct

Morecombe, Reel - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

New Brighton, Light Cinemas - 17th - 24th Oct

Newcastle, Tyneside - 17th - 24th Oct

Norwich, CinemaCity - 17th & 22nd Oct

Nottingham, Broadway - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct

Nottingham, Showcase - 18th Oct

Oswestry, Kinokulture - 17th Oct

Paisley, Showcase - 18th Oct

Peterborough, Showcase - 18th Oct

Reading, Showcase - 18th Oct

Sheffield, Showroom - 17th - 23rd Oct

Shrewsbury, The Old Market Hall - 17th - 23rd Oct

Stafford, Curzon Cinema - 17th - 23rd Oct

Stockport, Plaza - 22nd Oct 

Stockton -Teeside, Showcase - 18th Oct

Walsall, Showcase - 18th Oct

Wigan, Empire - 17th - 23rd Oct

Wimbledon, HMV Curzon - 17th -23rd Oct

Wolverhampton, Light House - 17th - 23rd Oct

York, Reel - 17th, 18th & 19th Oct 

FROM OCTOBER 24

Croyde, Croyde Town Hall - 25th Oct

Holmfirth, Picturedrome - 26th Oct

Ipswich, Ipswich Film Theatre - 24th, 25th, 28th, 29th & 30th Oct

Kendal, Brewery - 24th Oct 

London, W Hotel Wardour Street - 28th Oct

Portsmouth, Royal Docks - 25th Oct

November

Canterbury, Gulbenkian - 24th Nov

Cardiff, Chapter - 16th & 17th Nov

Carlisle, Tullie House Museum - 14th Nov

Fishguard, Theatr Gwaun - 16th - 19th Nov

Gainsborough, Trinity Arts Centre - 21st Nov

Haverhill, Haverhill Arts Centre - 24th Nov

Pwllheli, Neuadd Dwyfor - 24th Nov

Stamford, Stamford Arts Centre - 17th & 19th Nov

Stoke, Stoke Film Theatre - 28th & 29th Nov

Uckfield, Picture House - 14th Nov

December

Tewkesbury, Roses Theatre - 20th Dec

OURSCREEN.COM 

The below OurScreen screenings are not all yet confirmed but will take place if enough people pledge to attend, book your tickets now:

Brighton, Duke's at Komedia - 18th Oct

Brighton, Duke's at Komedia - 23rd Oct

Brighton, Duke's at Komedia - 30th Oct

Brighton, Duke of York's - 19th Oct - Confirmed Booking

Brighton, Duke of York's - 20th Oct

Cambridge, Arts Picturehouse - 18th Oct - Confirmed Booking

Edinburgh, Camero - 17th Oct - SOLD OUT

Edinburgh, Camero - 18th Oct - SOLD OUT

Edinburgh, Camero - 20th Oct - SOLD OUT

Henley-on-Thames, Regal - 9th Nov - SOLD OUT

Liverpool, Picturehouse at FACT - 17th Oct

Liverpool, Picturehouse at FACT - 18th Oct

London, Hackney Picturehouse - 18th Oct 

London, Hackney Picturehouse - 20th Oct - Confirmed Booking

London, Notting Hill Gate - 17th Oct

London, Stratford East Picturehouse - 17th Oct

London, Greenwich Pictrehouse - 17th Oct - Confirmed Booking

Oxford, Phoenix - 26th Oct

Oxford, Phoenix - 9th Nov

Southampton, Harbour Lights - 18th Nov

Stratford On Avon, Picturehouse - 17th Oct

York, City Screen - 17th Oct
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It is very surprising to me having grown up in that area, that Gloucester and Cheltenham havent any screenings listed.

Two areas I think are bathed deep in the Northern Soul movement. Bristol, Cardiff or Brum seem to be the closest alternatives.

Social source share

It is very surprising to me having grown up in that area, that Gloucester and Cheltenham havent any screenings listed.

Two areas I think are bathed deep in the Northern Soul movement. Bristol, Cardiff or Brum seem to be the closest alternatives.

I believe it is showing in Tewkesbury (Roses Theatre) 20th December.In fact it definitely is screening there, as I've just booked tickets!

Edited by wilxy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

For anyone interested in getting tickets for the showing at Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge on 18/10 2.45pm see below. Email rec'd today from Ourscreen....

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Northern Soul is definitely being shown at Arts Picturehouse on Oct 18th.

You can book tickets here: https://www.ourscreen.com/screening/37344

All the best,

Philippine Mignot

ourscreen
ourscreen.com
@ourscreenuk

8 Hoxton Street, London, N1 6NG
+44 (0) 7903 704 743
Social source share

The Cinema list over on Facebook appears to be getting updated daily now & as it includes links to where to buy tickets. The link again is: https://www.facebook.com/notes/northern-soul-the-film/cinemas-showing-northern-soul/706097146133178

For anyone on the South East coast, The Dome cinema in Worthing, West Sussex confirmed yesterday that it will now be showing the film & tickets are available directly from their online box office: https://www.domecinema.co.uk/films-out-now/

Friday 17th @22:00 is on the main screen (screen 1) & the other 2 dates are upstairs on screen 2.

Social source share

I previously posted that I had managed to get the film to Dumfries on Saturday December 6th, the same day that an all-dayer is taking place at the Venue nightclub, featuring Solutions.

Tickets can now be booked for the film which will be shown at the Robert Burns Centre Film Theatre (01387 263094 - www.rbcft.co.uk) prior to the all-dayer. There will be two showings, the first starting at 1.30pm.

The Film Theatre is an excellent, intimate venue, good sound and comfortable seating. However, its capacity is only 69, so if you are coming to the town for the all-dayer, or simply plan to come just for the film, I would advise you to book it now. 

Social source share

Sone also have a vested interest in carping from the sidelines it seems.

I have no involvement in the organising or running of the all-dayer. The Film Theatre showed 'Soul Boy' when it came out, so I contacted them to see if they would show 'Northern Soul'. They came back and said yes, but it would not be until December. I spoke to the organiser of the all-dayer, explaining the situation and he was happy for the two events to run on the same day. It was all about getting the film shown in Dumfries, nothing more.

Social source share

The Prince Charles Cinema, just off Leicester Square in London has just agreed to schedule 7 screenings of Northern Soul!

On Friday, October 17th there will be one especially scheduled for 21:00 to serve as as a warm-up for the 100 CLUB PARTY which Ady & Elaine are hosting to celebrate the film's official release. The Screen on the Green in Islington will be doing the same - so you'll have the choice of two that night!

Here's the complete listing for The Prince Charles & links to buy tickets: https://www.princecharlescinema.com/events/events.php?seasonanchor=northernsoul

And here's the flyer for the after party: 

party.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What's happening with the rest of the world ?

Are they adopting a wait and see approach as to how well (or not) the film does in the UK before deciding what to do with oveseas markets ?

After lobbying over here we've got a  leading independent cinema in Stockholm wanting to screen the film, just waiting to hear back from the distributors now.. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Now that is going to be the party of the year.

The Prince Charles Cinema, just off Leicester Square in London has just agreed to schedule 7 screenings of Northern Soul!

On Friday, October 17th there will be one especially scheduled for 21:00 to serve as as a warm-up for the 100 CLUB PARTY which Ady & Elaine are hosting to celebrate the film's official release. The Screen on the Green in Islington will be doing the same - so you'll have the choice of two that night!

Here's the complete listing for The Prince Charles & links to buy tickets: https://www.princecharlescinema.com/events/events.php?seasonanchor=northernsoul

And here's the flyer for the after party: 

party.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!