Dancing In Trainers

Patto

It seems to be a trend at the moment to see a lot of dancers wearing trainers.Mostly its the younger guys.It puzzles me surely they are too grippy to dance easily in or are there particular brands that have smoother soles.Can anyone who uses trainers comment on why they prefere Trainers and how they perform on untalced floors.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It seems to be a trend at the moment to see a lot of dancers wearing trainers.Mostly its the younger guys.It puzzles me surely they are too grippy to dance easily in or are there particular brands that have smoother soles.Can anyone who uses trainers comment on why they prefere Trainers and how they perform on untalced floors.

Whatever happened to Polyveldts?  :wicked:

Just joking - they were shite. IMO.

Peter

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes a lot of folks are dancing in trainers, whilst I cant get my head around dancing in anything other than leather soles some of the dancers using them are top dancers

Regarding Talc one of my pet hates the amount being used and on floors where there is no need for it is getting ridiculous and yet the folks using trainers manage without Talc 

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, at The O' Jays on Friday at the O2 , the dance floor was caked with spilt drinks from the night before. Sticky and unprofessional. Even my sliders had issues...but, I managed a few decent steps. Sadly I need comfort these days and I wear some smart 'white stuff' sneakers that give a nice feel on the floor and should the talc brigade pepper where I dance, they save my back from breaking if I misjudge something. 

Social source share

Patto

More times then not I'd go with a descent soled shoe but have shook a wicked hoof in a trainer or desert wellie type in my day without major problems.What I would say is over the years dancing at varied size "do's" with not always room to get on the actual dancing surface I've found a preference to throwing a few shapes on the surrounding carpet?Found I get the grip I need for the odd sharp turn but also allows a bit of slide when needed,said carpet is certainly not trainer friendly I've found?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I must admit, my new dancers at Prestatyn wore one of my toes out, so I had to use Crocs ha ha! Even I couldn't believe it...but I needed to dance so took the risk. Somebody asked me for my autograph, so I asked them why, and they said bravery.

Social source share

Comos and Royals where the only shoes I ever used to dance in back in the day.. I would love to come across an original pair of Comos

I still have an original pair of Ikon Solatio shoes but find them a bit heavy and always use brogues

I'd love to find some comos, I've been looking for years. I know someone who found a brand new, still in the box pair in a charity shop back in the 80's, my size too, the lucky sod.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Comos and Royals where the only shoes I ever used to dance in back in the day.. I would love to come across an original pair of Comos

I still have an original pair of Ikon Solatio shoes but find them a bit heavy and always use brogues

Used to always go to Wigan in a pair of Como's along with a pair of Samba 3 stripes in my bag, and would change depending how the floor felt.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Patto

More times then not I'd go with a descent soled shoe but have shook a wicked hoof in a trainer or desert wellie type in my day without major problems.What I would say is over the years dancing at varied size "do's" with not always room to get on the actual dancing surface I've found a preference to throwing a few shapes on the surrounding carpet?Found I get the grip I need for the odd sharp turn but also allows a bit of slide when needed,said carpet is certainly not trainer friendly I've found?

Cheers

Martyn

Nice one Martyn the WICKED HOOF step sounds impressive

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

But I always thought the leather wore out very quickly? Crocs are so comfortable..but just a little too high. You could easily twist your ankle.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

It was strange when I first put them on and went on the dance floor, I was the only one on there as it was early. So I was extremely conscious that I could damage my dancing reputation with them, but most people, once they stopped taking the p*** actually said it was a good idea. Next day. no less than 8 other people had them on!

Social source share

I guess crocs could be the new polyveldts then Carl!

I'll get myself a pair now then hang on to them and sell them as a pair of '2014 originals' when I retire.

However if they don't take off I'll be able to use them to pop out to the bin when it's raining. Either way it's a win/win.

I'm a 'slider' meself - I guess if you're more of a stepper/walker then trainer's'll do it for you. Shame they look so crap.  :wink:

Edited by SoulStu
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Frank Wright's where I believe the original comos. Used to have a pair when I was at secondary school they like all school shoes got wrecked. Bought some royal brogues in about 1978, still got them, knackered now but can't bear to throw them out. I do remember the last time I got them soled and heeled that it cost me way more than the £17 that the shoes cost me originally.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Whatever happened to Polyveldts?  :wicked:

Just joking - they were shite. IMO.

Peter

https://www.asos.com/Clarks-Originals/Clarks-Originals-Oberon-Leather-Lace-Up-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=905742&r=2

I preferred 'nature treks'

Polyveldts were for girls, although I bought a pair about 5 years ago and they are the best city walking shoes I've ever had. They must have clocked up several hundred miles of walking and are still going strong. I should have bought a few pairs when I had the chance.

Edited by grouse
Social source share

https://www.asos.com/Clarks-Originals/Clarks-Originals-Oberon-Leather-Lace-Up-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=905742&r=2

I preferred 'nature treks'

Polyveldts were for girls, although I bought a pair about 5 years ago and they are the best city walking shoes I've ever had. They must have clocked up several hundred miles of walking and are still going strong. I should have bought a few pairs when I had the chance.

And everyone used to think they were cool! Only had the one pair mesen and then thankfully the dress code moved forward a bit. I better add - imo, or I'll have some die hard lot wanting to lynch me by me shoe laces.  :sweatingbullets:  :D

Pedro

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I tried all sorts of shoes. Got to be lace ups for a start, I bought a really cheap pair from Clarkes on the advice of a good dancer, soft crepey soles, light weight, I cut the heels off with a hacksaw, polished them 'till they shone and never wore them on the street. The key is weight, a pair of leather soled brogues weigh 600g x 100 steps a minute x 5 hours = 1.8 tonnes. And anyway trainers look shit.

Social source share

Dancing in "Trainers"  - Always makes me smile -

Put your shorts & your football shirt on we can have a "kick about "after the do  :facepalm:

You can wear what you want - and dance "While we still can" :sweatingbullets:

BUT DON T EVER LET ME SEE YOU "BALLROOM " DANCING 
at a "Northern Soul " event - Kin outrageous :dash2:  :facepalm:  :hypo: 

Ninja :boxing:

https://youtu.be/D_mEJMmQj6Y?list=FLrVlwY5lgN4PkmibNyvGpnw

Edited by ninja
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Put your shorts & your football shirt on we can have a "kick about "after

I have done that, once got so pissed off with a DJ at a 'nighter that I walked outside to join 10 lads (and 2 DJ's) playing football on the car park, it was snowing as well. I want to be 17 again !!!
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Stu - the crocs could become very fashionable AND extremely collectable over the years. We could trade them for crocs not available anymore and buy those little badge things and stick through the holes on the front. We could get the badges made in the shape of records...can you imagine! Dancing in comfort with your favourite label badge just inches away from your favourite dance steps. No polishing necessary! I would have 'Mojo' on the left foot and probably 'Bandtraxs' (my own label) on my right as I need to advertise my releases in a novel and unique way these days. 

Social source share

Thought you would wade into this debate at some point.....................

Ive danced in flop flops at one of Alfie's alldayers before its not what you wear its how you move to the groove baby  :thumbup:

I have been known to wear shoes before but some dance floors are far too slippery for me so trainers (adidas gazelles) suit me fine  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Patto

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn

Are these your black trainers or your more special brown ones?

I know that you have only ever had one pair of trainers.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw these in Meadowhall and my heart leapt like a salmon! I went into the shop to buy them only to learn they were only available in bird’s sizes which is like totally illegal or summit and sexist against Jazz Funk and cool boys like me! 

These shoes were the coolest fookin thing on the dance floor and I have now taken to bandaging my feet up on a night time like them Japanese birds so I can like fit into them and ting

post-7656-0-10768300-1411399777_thumb.jp

Edited by ImberBoy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Along side Simon, plenty of other good dancers from, or about our generation wear trainers to dance in, Bob Lee, Mark Johnson, Andy Cannon to name but another three. Youngsters like James Whitehead and Dave Stabler, do everything in trainers that dancers from our time would have longed to do.

My own preference is for leather soled Loakes, but I did wear gazelles for the first time during the afternoon shifts of the Skegness weekender just gone. Didn't dance a lot, as was saving myself for the nights, but when I did, they were absolutely fine, didn't stick to the floor and no extra friction when spinning. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!