Dancing In Trainers

Patto

For all those that don't understand trainers here are my dancing shoes  :D  its easy if you know how  :hatsoff2:

Bearsy, I take it you're not really into Adidas then ? :-)

That's some "casual" collection!

How you doing mate? - haven't seen you for yonks

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

"Get a Grip "  - 

Just to clarify this does NOT mean ..

"Holding on to your partner " - Just in case you fall over doing the Strictly routine !

cause now your "Ballroom dancing " and your in the wrong room/venue .. :dash2:

It does happen - particularly if "You cant dance " :g:  :sleep3:  :shhh:  :hypo:  :unsure:

Its Friday - So.................................................................................................................

If your out - Dancing - While we still can - Remember

"Whatever your wearing - E N J O Y " :sweatingbullets:

Ninja

:boxing:

" Might put my "Wellies" on rain forecast !!!!    :thumbsup:

Edited by ninja
Social source share

I started of in a pair of brogues but moved on to a well worn pair of trainers that i loved (adidas) but i couldn't get a similar pair so now wear a pair of leather souled shoes, cost me £180 but done me 12 years already and still loads of soul in them so well worth the money.

Social source share

I tried dancing in my trainers at home on a slippy laminated floor and found it painful, tried to spin and nearly ruptured my knees. I guess trainers are for those who step rather than slide or I need to find trainers with less grip. 

Yeh it all  depends on the grip of the sole.I have a pair of Adidas Neo Trainers and like you i tested them at home and the sole seems perfect with just the right amount of slide.With just a bit of talc they slip like mad.I have never danced with them at a venue but may try it soon and take my usuals as back up.

Social source share

This all makes me laugh really, we take the mick out of the baggies, vest and beer towel brigade and the 'uniform' that they wear, but half the people on this thread seem to think that you're not a 'proper soulie' unless you wear ox blood polished heavy duty leather soled brogues/solatios/ Loakes/ Comos  etc. Christ on a bike, we'll be saying certain hairstyles aren't appropriate soul styles next. A good dancer is a good dancer, if he's wearing flip flops or wellies and he can dance much better than you, what's to criticise?

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Alan Ball ones were the first white boot I can remember, I did have a pair at one point. The revolving stud ones came a bit later and were removed from the market due to health and safety issues. Just from memory, a kid wearing them, got the revolving bit stuck in mud, went to turn and did something really serious to his leg, maybe reports on the net that could give a bit more detail, mine's just a hazy memory. 

That's my vague recollection as well Win. I remember the revolving stud boot being featured on Blue Peter, then a report that someone had hurt themselves and that was it.  I wonder if a revolving sole on my brogues would help me spin better. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gotta be leather soles for me. I have some jazz shoes (tiny heel, very thin leather sole and very soft leather. Very light) similar the the Da Vinci jazz shoes back in the early 80's. From Derby I think. Also an oxblood red leather brogue with a reasonably thin leather welted sole. Adds a bit more weight when on a normal night. The Jazz shoes are better for all nighters and weekenders. I do use talc if the floor is sticky (most of the time as clubs don't seem to care about the state of their dancefloors) as I like to shuffle and trip. Hopefully makes me dance better and makes my legs ache less and last longer.

Como brogues were my shoe of choice back in the 70's, and I've searched high and low for modern copies. My mate Pete Cogley even tracked down the original manufacturers and asked them to make up a batch for him and others. The man from Como, he say no!

Still searching.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I cant rember them been called como"s  in the Notts/Mansfield area,  but looking at the foto thats definitly the shoe.

We would buy them in Black or "Oxblood"   at  Wakefields army stores and take them to the cobblers to get an extra soul stitched/nailed on, some lads had two or three extra souls put on ..spit and polish toe caps ..they were cool

We used to call em smoothies baz :thumbsup: Spent some hours polishing mine I can tell ya

Still got to be leather soles for me after 40 years, couldn't imagine dancing in trainers :huh:

Social source share

This all makes me laugh really, we take the mick out of the baggies, vest and beer towel brigade and the 'uniform' that they wear, but half the people on this thread seem to think that you're not a 'proper soulie' unless you wear ox blood polished heavy duty leather soled brogues/solatios/ Loakes/ Comos  etc. Christ on a bike, we'll be saying certain hairstyles aren't appropriate soul styles next. A good dancer is a good dancer, if he's wearing flip flops or wellies and he can dance much better than you, what's to criticise?

Bang on. And this thing that trainers are a poor mans shoe Suggest many on here don't know a lot about trainers I take it. I turned down £350 for my pair of orange and white adidas Trim Trabs. I'd probably get £200+ for my adidas Joggers (not for sale) which have a hard poly sole perfect for dancing. 

I own own fifty odd pairs of trainers, have numerous loakes brogues, Bass Wejun Pennies etc and find them all horse for courses. 
Social source share

Bang on. And this thing that trainers are a poor mans shoe Suggest many on here don't know a lot about trainers I take it. I turned down £350 for my pair of orange and white adidas Trim Trabs. I'd probably get £200+ for my adidas Joggers (not for sale) which have a hard poly sole perfect for dancing. 

I own own fifty odd pairs of trainers, have numerous loakes brogues, Bass Wejun Pennies etc and find them all horse for courses. 

:ohmy: Ever though about getting help for that Emelda?

I bet I haven't owned 50 pairs of shoes in my entire life!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:ohmy: Ever though about getting help for that Emelda?

I bet I haven't owned 50 pairs of shoes in my entire life!

Should see my mate Kerso's collection (used to be on the door at Allenton Shotts nighters) Above 250 pairs now. 

funny thing is I don't tend to wear my trainers that much now as there's been a born again footy casual thing that's happened in the last few years where every man and his dog over 45 (loads that I know who were never into the casual thing) sporting collections of adidas footy casual reissues (trabs, t masters, Dublins etc) along side reissued I'll fitting FIla BJ tracky tops.

Yep, it's not just the soul scene that has it's politics :) 

wear and dance in what you like people, there ain't no uniform in this game. 

Social source share

Should see my mate Kerso's collection (used to be on the door at Allenton Shotts nighters) Above 250 pairs now. 

funny thing is I don't tend to wear my trainers that much now as there's been a born again footy casual thing that's happened in the last few years where every man and his dog over 45 (loads that I know who were never into the casual thing) sporting collections of adidas footy casual reissues (trabs, t masters, Dublins etc) along side reissued I'll fitting FIla BJ tracky tops.

Yep, it's not just the soul scene that has it's politics :)

wear and dance in what you like people, there ain't no uniform in this game. 

You do know you lost Steve after "every man and his dog"... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember being in a group of 6 lads, all soulies walking to the local Youth club back in the late 70s.We were all wearing our fave shoes at the time for dancing in and we all thought we were the dogs b*llocks great dancers.

One of us had Polyveltds,one Brogues,one Pods,one trainers,One loafers,and one with Docs Ms shoes.

As we arrived in the que one of the girls shouted at us "Hey Where did you get your Soul Shoes from". All 6 of us looked puzzled not knowing who she was talking to as we all were wearing different dancing shoes.So i piped up and asked.

"Which Ones do you Mean and which one of us in your opinion are wearing Soul Shoes".At which point she pointed to my mate Tony and said this cutting line that i remember to this day

"His cause hes the only one out of all of you that can dance" :(  :(

By the wayTony was wearing the polyvets,but it just goes to show it doesnt matter what you wear if you can dance

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Dancing in trainers is just wrong, Haircut £3:00, Shirt £10:00, Trousers £20:00 and that's in 1977,  Trainers are for Rab C Nesbitt.

Moaning about people dancing in Trainers is even more wrong your sounding just like victor meldew on crack and this is 2014 btw Dave  :D  :lol:  :thumbup:

Social source share

Bearsy, I take it you're not really into Adidas then ? :-)

That's some "casual" collection!

How you doing mate? - haven't seen you for yonks

Hi stubbsy I'm doing well thanks and yeah been a long time no see hope you and the Essex massive are all fine and dandy matey.  Yeah I have a fetishising for Adidas Gazelles but I don't like to admit  :lol:

Social source share

:wink:  If you can dance in  trainers you can dance in leather soled shoes ......................so get some!

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Why oh why would I want to buy a pair of leather soled shoes to out and dance in when I can go out and dance in my every day choice of footwear.   It's like me saying to you to stop wearing your baggies Kev because you don't do the splits when you go out and dance so if you can walk in jeans don't wear baggies  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

I really hope I meet some of you on the dance floor somewhere so I can do your friggin heads right in while I'm sliding, spinning and dancing and having the time of my life while you all moaning and groaning that standing at the side of the dance floor wishing you could be just like me  :wicked:  :unsure:  :hypocrite:  :cheese1:  :lol:

Social source share

Bang on....

Byrney, you're not doing it right... The trick is to visit stores that sell left trainers on Saturdays and shops that display right trainers on Sundays. That way, you don't end up with odd pairs...

Social source share

Trainers ,jeans, no idea some of ya  :(

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Ps.in my day you could see your face in your shoes and cut your finger on the crease of the trousers of your Tonic Suit  :yes:  :D

But I'm only young I don't want to look like and dance like me dad  :(

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Moaning about people dancing in Trainers is even more wrong your sounding just like victor meldew on crack and this is 2014 btw Dave  :D  :lol:  :thumbup:

I don't believe it !!!

Social source share

Paul I know it's your pic mate, but they're definitely gola trainers, the stripes and slash are very distinctive, plus I still have a pair now, knocking about :)

I bow to your trainer knowledge mate...i have no recollection that far back. I only know i used whatever worked on the dance floor for me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

no they not barretts, only repair three times ,never seen day light,only four dancing never got then wet, billy

Now, that is true...never ever wear dance shoes on the street, that's what your bag was for, shoes, socks and a spare shirt and chewing gum (for some reason).

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

hey Bearsy hope u r keeping well, long time,whats triggers broom just asking,  never been out in the daylight lol billy

I'm good thanks Billy hoe you are too and not working too hard on that's coa folding :hatsoff2: and yeah long time no see so hopefully catch up soon.    Triggers broom in "only fools and horses"   17 heads and 12 handles  :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!