Gwen-Owens-Just-Say-Your-Wanted-Velgo- On Ebay

snooky

My old 4th edition Manship guide states the value at £4000 for a minter (my guide is out of date), but this copy is in VG- condition suggesting the value is 25% of the minter value.

Current ebay bidding patterns have significantly pushed the values above the guide prices on hard to obtain records.

I wonder whether this will hit the £4000 despite its condition 

Social source share

Re guide £3500 and £4000

Which doesn't make any reasoned sense, a skipping 45 only 12.5% cheaper than a non skipper.

I don't and won't use guides it's the easiest and quickest way to get the price wrong

Cheers Darren

He might mean the "non skipping" run, as it was pressed two (or possibly three) times, and only one of those presses were faulty.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Price Guide prices don't really apply to these sort of records. Much depends on who already has it, whether to ignore the label condition and whether it is for DJing. No serious collector would turn this record down at a price they could afford but how many of us have 3K spare this week? Should clear 2K and get close to 3K as availability continues to diminish.

Social source share

my Lester Tipton's no worse' mind I only paid 35 quid

Sounded alright out front on at Blackhearts on Sunday morning Ted!

On the Gwen Owens, surely that much damage must render it pretty undesirable (does to me anyway)...it's lost so much of its appeal without the label - I'd always be thinking I was the owner of that "worst copy of Gwen Owens in the world ever". Also I'd probably be always on the lookout for a better copy as soon as I'd bought it... you can tell I'm not a proper collector!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

While on the subject of Gwen Owens, just come across this interesting (if knackered looking) Jamaican issue of 'It ain't hardly over' on ebay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1015-GWEN-OWENS-IT-AINT-HARDLY-OVER-KEEP-ON-LIVING-JOSIE-REGGAE-45-7-/191336654446?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c8c8da66e

The advert lists it as 'reggae' and says recorded in Jamaica, however the audio clip just sounds like my US issue which I assumed was a US recording. Are they correct and it was recorded in Jamaica? Sounds odd to me. Top tune either way 

Social source share

I can't see paying 1,000 Quid (25% of mint price) on a collection "filler".  That doesn't look and sound like a record to play and listen to.

Fine for DJing Robb but that would be all, and more or less at the price its at now! A collector wouldn`t touch t with a barge-pole.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!