Test Pressings?

Peter99

Evening All  :hatsoff2:

I know this may seem a dumb ass question but..............................................

How do you know when a test press is a genuine test press? I've looked at a couple of things recently and thought well anyone can stick a typed or hand written test press label on any old boot.  :huh:

Also I assume that a proper test press would be acceptable to play out?

Thanks for any sage like answers.

Peter

Social source share

Thanks Richard

You are indeed a sage and a scholar. 

Peter

:thumbsup:

You know I like my quality and business management systems mate LOL  :lol:  :lol:

On the second part of your question - yes, a test pressing (of an original release) would be great to play out - no probs whatsoever - even maybe better than the proper copy in my book as it's probably much rarer!  :g:  :wink:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Dead wax details should match the original issue  :thumbsup:  They were pressing a few before doing the full batch - quality control 

Cheers mate

Richard

Richards spot on. Also consider where your buying them from, in as much as from the U.S. through ebay pretty safe. From UK sellers on Ebays take a good long look as much as you can. Over the years I've seen more 45's that just don't seem right out of the UK, than the U.S.

Condition, if they look to new to be true, i'm a bit wary, I in fact like to see some sign of age. Test pressings rarely made it to shops or warehouses, but often have sat around at artists/producers homes or in DJ collections and normally show a bit of age.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Richards spot on. Also consider where your buying them from, in as much as from the U.S. through ebay pretty safe. From UK sellers on Ebays take a good long look as much as you can. Over the years I've seen more 45's that just don't seem right out of the UK, than the U.S.

Condition, if they look to new to be true, i'm a bit wary, I in fact like to see some sign of age. Test pressings rarely made it to shops or warehouses, but often have sat around at artists/producers homes or in DJ collections and normally show a bit of age.

Nice one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave. I hope you and M are well.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sometimes they can look quite different Peter

Many test pressing are just handwritten on a plain (often white label). Others have a printed template into which to write the details (like some Motown test pressings).

Others are weird like this one - but the deadwax shows it is a cool copy and the same details as the issue  :D (there is also a handwritten test pressing I have seen of this - but it did get pressed a few times on red and blue and West Coast).

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-78097100-1411589971_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!